Ruger American Rimfire scope filler screws

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Just a FYI. I went to mount my Weaver #12 scope mounts on my RA Rimfire rifle. The filler screws are Torx. A very small Torx. I looked at the owners manual and could not find what size to use. I purchased a mini size set and found it used a T6.

Cost me an extra day and missed going to the range to sight in. Oh well.

Hip Shot

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
That is tiny! Most sets I see have a T-10 as the smallest bit. But it has to be easier than a tiny slotted screw.

what would you say

Single-Sixer
T6 can be tough to find. In repairing some electronics, I needed a T6 recently and found to acquire one quickly, there is a Kobalt brand kit sold at Lowes home improvement that has an assortment of bits and does have Torx bits down to T6. Most bit kits don't go that small.

9x19

Hunter
Yep.

I bought a .17 back in Feb and discovered the new filler screws, plus mine had very shallow recesses.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=198643

308longdistance

Blackhawk
AND...... I removed the rear sight for scope clearance, also removed the front sight also a T6, But.....the front sight hole is a coarse thread while the rear #12 Weaver are a fine thread. Why...

9x19

Hunter
Nice!

I used medium rings on mine, as much for bolt handle clearance as for the objective/rear sight (on mine, there is just enough room to slide a post-it note between the 40mm objective and the rear sight).

RugerARx3_zpsa8940953.jpg

black029

Single-Sixer
Why Ruger didn't put in the usual slotted filler screws, I have no idea. It requires a special trip to the hardware store, even though I have lots of tiny screwdrivers and Torx wrenches, none fits the RAR.
One of those "brilliant solution to a nonexistent problem" situations.

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Today I picked up my rifle and almost cut my finger. The plastic edge where the forend comes up to the barrel channel (outside) has a REALLY SHARP EDGE. I am going to go thru all my RAR's and deburr all the plastic stocks.

Hip Shot

black029

Single-Sixer
I'm seriously pissed that I'm going to have to go to Lowes or whatever to buy this damned Torx T6 just to get these filler screws out!! It makes no sense: either you leave them in and use irons, or remove them for scope bases. They are not some precious item whose beauty must be preserved.
Calling Ruger tomorrow, with extreme prejudice.

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Richbaker said:
You could probly find a small allen wrench that would work.... I have.
I tried using both metric and English Allen wrenches. I was able to remove 1 of 4 screws. The single screw was loose.

Hip Shot

black029

Single-Sixer
None of the more or less standard tiny wrenches/screwdrivers will budge them.
Ruger seems like a fairly level headed outfit, overall, but someone had their head way up their butt on this decision

black029

Single-Sixer
A $6.00 Kobalt set provided the ticket, and while it will serve other purposes I suspect, it was basically bought to unscrew 4 crummy little filler screws.

Sugar River

Buckeye
57springer said:
:?: I bought one about one month ago, just looked at it and is has straight slot screws in it ?

The RAR I got last month from Bud's has slotted fillers also.
Guess I can't whine either.

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Sugar River said:
57springer said:
:?: I bought one about one month ago, just looked at it and is has straight slot screws in it ?

The guns with the Torx screws are the newer production guns which are far more accurate! :D

Just kidding - Who knows, maybe they ran out of slotted screws and could only get the Torx versions???

Hip Shot

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Sugar River said:
57springer said:

Interesting, mine is in the 832-33*** range with Torx.

Latest posts