Ruger 22 pistol help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fullstream

Bearcat
I recently purchased what I believe to be a Mark l 22lr. I tried to verify manufacture date but didn't have any luck. The serial # is 16-97391 It's in great shape and I found it at a pawn shop. Would love to verify that it's a Mark 1. It came with 1 magazine where the base is stainless. If I could get any help I would greatly appreciate it. I believe it's a 6" barrel.
Thank you, Steve

street

Hunter
It looks as if it was shipped in 1981. Yes it is a Ruger .22 Standard Model Automatic. It looks as if it has a 6 in. bl., if so then the model number is RST-6.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The info above is correct. It's a Standard Auto, not a MK I. The main difference is the sights. A Standard has fixed sights, while the MK series has adjustable sights.

PaulTX

Bearcat
I'm certainly no expert, but I have a Ruger Standard (443XXX) and the left side grip screw is lower than the second picture. I say it is a Mark I frame. Or at least the A-100 and not the A54 standard frame. It get's confusing!

fullstream

Bearcat
Thanks guys, I will tell ya I had a mark 2 bull barrel and this one is a good bit more accurate. I really like it.
Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
You have a fine Standard Auto. Many people have found how accurate they are.

PaulTX, it's not that confusing. The Standard models are fixed sighted guns, and the MK series have the adjustable sights. The frame change was made before the MKII series came out due to the dies for the frame stamping wore out & the new frames were changed. You can have a Standard model with the A-54 or the A-100 frame as well as a MK series with a A-54 or the A-100 frame. The frame doesn't have any relation to the model name.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WHEN the MKI was introduced back in the early 1950's, the SR&CO INC said the differences between their STANDARD 22 pistol and their new MKI was Target adjustable sights, A better barrel[button rifled] a better trigger, a trigger stop, and a longer sight radius from the new 6 7/8" BBL.
The first Ruger 22 I ever bought was a 6" STANDARD for $37.50 in 1962. It shot dead on it's delightfully fixed sights and was the equal of any MKI or MKII pistol I bought in all the subsequent decades. The LAST Ruger 22 pistol I bought in 2011[?] was a very clean MKII 6" STANDARD that also shoots dead-on-it's fixed sights. ALL of my MKII Target pistols shoot very well indeed but I learned a good lesson many years ago from Dean Grennell who noted " there is nothing better than FIXED sights IF they are fixed in the right place." All three of my STANDARDs have that delightful quality, in spades.
PS: forgot to note this that tickles me to no end everytime I think about it. MY second MKII 4 3/4" STANDARD 50th ANNIVERSARY, bought for #159.00 in the U.P. in 2007, has won more money than the total I've paid for ALL the Ruger 22 handguns I've bought in my lifetime including ALL the Single Sixes in every BBL length 4 5/8", 5 1/2", 6 1/2", 7 1/2", and 9 1/2" and all the STANDARD, MKI, AND MKII 22 pistols in every BBL length. This MKII 4 3/4" now has well over 20M rounds through it as we speak.
The odd thing is I bought my first MKII 50thANNIVERSARY 22 on closeout for $184.00 the end of 1999. I put 300 rounds through it, wiped it off, and put it back in the safe to be all but forgotten until I found it a couple of years ago when looking for something else. IT is still all but brand new.

street

Hunter
This MKII 4 3/4" now has well over 20M rounds through it as we speak. [/quote said:
If you could by a box of .22 LR at $1.00 a box, (Don't you wish you could), then 20M rounds would cost you $400,000. That a lot of money to spend on .22lr ammunition.

I went fishing once and I caught what I thought was a big fish until I pulled it in. What I caught was a Railroad Lantern dated 1889 and guess what it was still burning, and after all of those years. Who would have thought? :shock:

After thinking about it Terry, If you will subtract over 19 million + off the total rounds fired through your .22 then I will blow that light out!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
M is the Latin number for 1000 and has been for well over 3000 years. WE HAD to take two years of Latin in High School so we would know the difference between a K and an M.
There is also no such word as ' klomuder.'
And so it goes...

737tdi

Hunter
Wow: I would call that a Psssstttttt. flame out. That's is funny. Measurements that is. M, K, II, IIIV and such. Just gets you right in the HaHa. Just kidding.

Karl

737tdi

Hunter
Welcome to the Forum Fullsteam: You will find that everyone of these guys know what they are talking about. Have fun with it and buy some more. Nothing beats a MKI, II, III or standard. I have them all and they all shoot quite well. Had nothing to do with me, really. They are just accurate pieces. Enjoy, Browning can't touch it.

Semper Fi:

Karl

PaulTX

Bearcat
Ruger Guru - I thought all the Standard's had the A-54 frame and when they changed to the Mark I it had the A-100 frame. Thanks.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
The A-100 frame was created when the A-54 stamping dies wore out. They first hit the market in the Mark I and Standard models in 1972. The big difference between these two frames is in where the magazine follower button track is located, which is why the grip screw locations changed too. The A-100 frames have the follower button tracks on the left side, like all the later model Ruger .22 Autopistols do today.

R,
Bullseye

chet15

Hawkeye
The best rule of thumb when determining whether a Pre-Mark II pistol is a "Standard" model or a "MARK I" model is if it doesn't say "MARK I" on the receiver, then it is a Standard.
Standard models have fixed sights.
Mark I's have adjustable sights.
What adds to the confusion is even Ruger will call their standard models a "MARK I", but then again, the folks that are there now know little more than basic history when it comes to the company.
Chet15

Good info above, and I may add we had heard many years ago that one of the main reasons for the change to the A-100 frame was in preparation for the addition of a slide (bolt) stop, ala MK II.....if you look there was a 'hump' (raised portion) on the left side of the A-54 to allow the magazine follower 'button' to ride up,into the frame.......they moved this 'hump' over to the right side, thus the location of the bottom frame /grip screws also changed...they "needed" the flat to be on the left side, so the shooters hand could access the lever. This also called for a double slotted magazine so they could MOVE the button to the right side also, thus the early change to the A-100 and the newer ,two slotted magazine...and yes, allowing folks to swap the button on the newer A-100 style, and go back and use it in the A-54....design and engineering changes obviously, and good marketing to be able to continue to use both.....sadly the this reverse changed the grip panels to NOT be able to use one, or the other...though later on the Mk II would work in the later MkI ( and standard autos)
and it did take them almost 20 years later to come out with the Mark II's, so I would agree as to making the change at the time of having to come up with NEW stamping dies.

the bottom of the early magazines is actually chrome plated,not stainless or nickel, getting harder to find the early mags these days, but the MK IIs work, as well as hold an extra round.............

what adds to much confusion is how many 'frames', as well as uppers, have been swapped around and placed on other guns , to make them work or build them up from scratch........so one has to check, look see, just what markings are what, and where the holes location is for the grip panels...and know the difference from a standard auto, Mark I and then the Mark II....... :roll:

One of the reasons we prefer and like the Hiddleson book 'Encyclopedia Of Ruger Semi automatic Rimfire Pistols-1949-1992" :wink:

Latest posts