Can anyone tell me about my single six.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

putyoursoxon

Bearcat
I know it's a single cylinder star model. Says single cylinder on the box and has the star, I've tried some research but haven't found too much info on the single cylinder models. Any info would be appreciated
20140916_185005_zpst3rfqs3d.jpg

20140916_184954_zps3ewu6pyp.jpg

20140916_185000_zpslfmwer9r.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Your gun was made in 1975. It appears to be a S5 model. They are considered scarce to find. Actual production numbers are unknown. If you keep the box & papers with it,, it'll retain good value, unless you ever abuse the gun & hurt the physical condition.

putyoursoxon

Bearcat
Thanks. I do have the box but not the instruction manual, only a transfer receipt from the 80s. Good info to know though. I do take it shooting but it doesn't see any abuse

contender

Ruger Guru
An instruction manual can be found. You can place a WTB ad here in our Classifieds & specify you need one for a 1975 gun and you'll likely get a response.

And you can check on eBay. I got tired of looking and bought a reprint for mine but I wouldn't do that in your case since you have a box. The correct manual should have a "Single Cylinder Note" stamped on the cover page explaining that the frame is marked with a star and it only came with .22 rimfire cylinder. There seem to be separate manuals for blued and stainless steel.

BTW, nice find and welcome to the forum.

HSG

737tdi

Hunter
I am going to state something stupid here. Please don't bite my head off. :lol: Seems you have done your research on it but just wanted to point out it is a New Model Single Six. :roll: . Looks to be in nice shape. As said above if you want to add to the value buy the correct owners manual, not a reprint or non-specific.

Karl

putyoursoxon

Bearcat
737tdi said:
I am going to state something stupid here. Please don't bite my head off. :lol: Seems you have done your research on it but just wanted to point out it is a New Model Single Six. :roll: . Looks to be in nice shape. As said above if you want to add to the value buy the correct owners manual, not a reprint or non-specific.

Karl

Well I did as much research as I could because on most forums if you ask a easily answerable question they ask you why you didn't google it. I was able to figure out that it was a LR only gun. I at first thought maybe the other cylinder was missing. And I wasn't able to find any information of what S4 or S5 was, but that was answered, so that was good. I really don't know what the value of it is. I am assuming a couple hundred bucks, I still take it out and shoot it, I wanted to know if it was something scare maybe I shouldn't be shooting it so much

737tdi

Hunter
According to the Reference of Ruger Firearms (pg. 108) by Chad Hiddelson (RENE) it is classified as "scarce". I can not find my book of values right now so I can't give you a decent answer. I will tell you this. Ruger has made hundreds of types of guns so collecting has to be broken down by type. Ok, say you pick single sixes, there are multiple variations of this gun, so you have to break this down by type. Meaning folks will collect Old Model star marked, or Old Model D (duplicate serial no.), or Flatgates, or by barrel length, on and on and on. With that said some folks just collect "star marked", believe it or not just in the instance of you pistol there are many variations by barrel length and finish, there are actually "one off" models (only one known to exist). Now yours isn't one of those but it is not a high production model. To a shooter you are right it is worth a couple hundred bucks but to a collector who collects that particular type it is worth more. I collect but never picked a genre.

IMO just enjoy it or find a convertible model and enjoy it and put that one away. If I find my book of values I will post what it says it is worth.

Karl

street

Hunter
737tdi said:
Meaning folks will collect Old Model star marked,
Karl
I don't know of any old model Star marked guns. All of the Star Marked guns were New Model Super Single-Sixes. They were made in 1975 with all barrel lengths, 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, and 9 1/2, and in both Blue and Stainless. All barrel lengths are some what rare. The most rare of all barrel lengths is the Blue in 4 5/8 in. There are less known then the Very Rare Old Model Super Single-Six in 4 5/8 in. bl. When I was collecting Rugers I was lucky to find two of the Old Model Super Single-Sixes in 4 5/8, but I never had a chance to get one of the Blue Star 4 5/8. :roll:

737tdi

Hunter
Street: I was just throwing out some differences in what people collect, wasn't trying to be model accurate. Just examples trying to explain a collectors mindset. What is worth little to one person could be valuable to another. Sorry for the confusion.

Karl