10 22 Horror story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Just bought a very nice 113 pre fixed serial # 10 22, manufactured around 1973, nice walnut stock, metal butt plate, barrel band ect. The barrel and receiver are 100%, with just a little color missing of the heel of the butt plate and edge of the barrel band. It had pretty much a safe queen would be my guess. Just what I had been looking for. Purchase price $200. The only down side was a UTG scope base. Just hoping that whoever put the scope base on hadn't cranked it down too tight and marked the receiver top. Took my prize home, took off the scope base and right down the middle or the receiver some numb nuts had written his drivers license number with and electric pencil, Great big 3/8" letters nice and deep.
OH THE HORROR!
Should have saved this story for Halloween.
Boooooo Hooooooo Hooooooo

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
On the positive side, you got a decent deal on your 1022.

I would just keep a scope base on the gun and put a scope or red dot on it.

Go have some fun with it!

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Oh I will do that, it's just that I had wanted a nice plain no bells and whistles bone stock 10 22 like my first one 40 years ago.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
10-22 is a "using gun" not a collectors' item. Spray paint over the numbers and put the scope base back on-problem solved.
I agree. Even with the defacing, you got a good deal at $200 for a walnut-and-metal 10/22.

chet15

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
10-22 is a "using gun" not a collectors' item. Spray paint over the numbers and put the scope base back on-problem solved.

I know several 10/22 collectors who would disagree with that, although you are correct in one respect...they were all made to be used.
Chet15

Snake45

Hawkeye
If the etching really bothered me, here's what I'd try.

I'd strip the receiver and thoroughly degrease it. Then I would carefully fill in the engraving with--don't laugh, now--superglue. When it's dry, sand it flush with #600 sandpaper. Repeat as necessary. Might take a couple treatments. When it was flush and smooth, I'd paint the whole receiver with, probably, satin black high-temp engine paint. (Again, don't laugh--I did a formerly rusty shotgun barrel with the stuff and it came out looking great and seems to be on forever.) Fancier (and more expensive) spray-on coatings are available but the engine paint (bought at Walmart IIRC) has worked great for me.

I'll bet I could make this gun look so good that 95% of people who see it would never notice there's anything different about it. (10/22 collectors would, but prolly hardly anyone else.)

Seems like the easiest solution would be to just put a rail back on it.... but then in reality you really aught to attempt to track down that DL #... then again that could lead to having to give up the 10/22?

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Selena said:
Count your blessings, I have a Colt Woodsman that some <expletive deleted> engraved "FTW" just over the horse on the left side. But seeing it is accurate and only cost me $75 I've made peace with it.
Sad but true and I'm not saying this is the case but years ago when the police took weapons as evidence they used to have to put their initials on them so that they could say in court yes this is the gun taken from the defendant. Glad they changed that.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
bentblade said:
Selena said:
Count your blessings, I have a Colt Woodsman that some <expletive deleted> engraved "FTW" just over the horse on the left side. But seeing it is accurate and only cost me $75 I've made peace with it.
Sad but true and I'm not saying this is the case but years ago when the police took weapons as evidence they used to have to put their initials on them so that they could say in court yes this is the gun taken from the defendant. Glad they changed that.

There's a thought I can change my name to Felena Tammy and claim my maiden name was Williams!!! Now can you find me a magazine that I don't break my thumbnail loading it??? :lol:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Well, that's bad but it could be worse. You could be getting intimate with your new GF and find someone else's name tattooed in a soft and tender spot...

Snake45's suggestion sounds about right: try to find something to fill it in with that makes it practically invisible.

Now, the question I have is: WHY?

WHY would any conscious person carve their driver's license number into the receiver of their Ruger 10/22? Or any other number? It just escapes me, maybe someone has a reason they can come up with.... ???

OK crazy scenario: our intrepid electric pencil person is out for a ride in the car and somehow manages to bring the 10/22 and forget his wallet. He gets pulled over and when the cop asks for the usual he goes for the wallet, realizes he doesn't have it, and then reaches for the 10/22....

I mean, these things don't end well. So my question stands: "WHY?"

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Why they would do it on a gun with a serial number, I haven't a clue. But I believe it used to be fairly common on older 22s with no number. Usually under the wood incase the gun was stolen. I have also found owner identifying information under butt plates.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
bentblade said:
Why they would do it on a gun with a serial number, I haven't a clue. But I believe it used to be fairly common on older 22s with no number. Usually under the wood incase the gun was stolen. I have also found owner identifying information under butt plates.

...That makes sense at least, esp. if the owner doesn't ever intend to sell the gun. And in that case I suppose marking the receiver is marking the actual "firearm." But I still feel badly for you - they could have done it a little less conspicuously and achieved the same thing. Strange. You wonder what was going through the guy's mind when he did it...

Richbaker

Blackhawk
I read an article in American Rifleman around 1974 or so.... it recommended putting your ssn or other id on the wood under the grips, buttplate or other hidden spot for id in case of theft.

Really doesnt meet the logic quotient since the gun already has a serial number, but I can see making it 'more' yours by adding your own personal number to it if you are not planning to ever let It go. But the reality is that one day it will be someone else's... We at least hope so.

bentblade said:
Selena said:

I have a High Standard pistol with the case number engraved on the frame; but then I didn't pay very much for it either.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
Really doesnt meet the logic quotient since the gun already has a serial number, but I can see making it 'more' yours by adding your own personal number to it if you are not planning to ever let It go. But the reality is that one day it will be someone else's... We at least hope so.

In 74, it was only 6 yrs since the LAW required serial numbers..... there were lots of guns out there with NO id on them.

Latest posts