Ruger standard bull barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whittler

Bearcat
Hey, forgive me if I am asking something everyone else knows, but I did several searches and didn't find an answer.

I just picked up a Ruger 22 pistol that appears to be a standard model, it says only "Ruger 22 LR cal Automatic Pistol" on the left side. But it has a heavy barrel (looks to be 5.5") and standard sights (non adjustable). From what I have been able to find here and elsewhere, people are saying that the bull barrels all came with adjustable sights. Is this the case, or did some bull barrels come with regular (drift adjustable only) sights?

I would say the sights are factory. The Ruger site says the pistol was made in 1973.

street

Hunter
If it says "Ruger 22 LR cal Automatic Pistol" and it has a 5 1/2 in. Bull Barrel then the barrel-receiver assembly has been changed. Although I have never done it myself, it should be pretty easy to take the standard barrel-receiver assembly off and put the Mark-I barrel assembly on!!! If it doesn't have adjustable rear sight then that has been changed from the sight that came with that bull barrel.

It looks as if someone got carried away changing parts.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Seems like I saw a 22/45 with a heavy slab side barrel and fixed sights, don't remember how long ago.

whittler

Bearcat
From the chamber to the end of the barrel is 6", if that matters.

I just took it out back and ran a couple of magazines through it, it shoots great and to point of aim. If they changed anything, sights, barrel, whatever they did a good job and must have done it a long time ago, as the finish is evenly worn all over the pistol.

I wonder if there is a way to find out what configuration it left the factory in? Not that it really matters to me all that much, I like it. I am just curious.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
I have never seen a bull barrel with fixed sights. Can you post a photo?

whittler

Bearcat
I have never posted a photo on a forum, is there an easy way to do it? By that I don't mean photo-bucket or whatever.

looks like somebody put a "bull" barrel ( douglas or whom-ever) onto a 'standard' auto , which could have been either a 4 3/4 or a 6 inch, would have to call or get a letter to find out just what it shipped out as. Many
bull type barrels have been installed on Rugers over the years by MANY gunsmiths, shops, or whom ever. That is NOT a normal Ruger front sight either....but in any case, bet it is a very GOOD shooter, just too bad you cannot adjust the sights in "easy" fashion.........put a base (mount) and a 'red dot style optic and bet it gets even BETTER... :roll: :wink:

whittler

Bearcat
Well, right now it's hittin' where I aim like nobody's business, so....

Since its been altered I may get it blued, the other side has some patina and the pic makes the bluing look better than it is. I took some OO steel wool and Gibbs and got the worst of the rust off before I took the pic.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Just for the heck of it you might want to contact Ruger before you monkey with it, just incase it did happen to come from the factory that way.

chet15

Hawkeye
What you have is a standard auto that was converted to have a heavier bull barrel by one of the several companies who did such work. Clark out of Louisiana is one such individual who is rather famous today.
I'll guarantee the pistol didn't leave the factory that way originally. Kinda suprised they didn't put an adjustable target rear sight on it though while they were doing the work.
Since the standard models were cheaper, many of those who did the conversions used a standard model receiver and put their own heavy target barrel on them.
Volquartzen of Carroll, IA would probably the most famous company doing these conversions today.
Chet15

Snake45

Hawkeye
That's pretty cool! If it shoots good and to point of aim, I'd have it in "heavy rotation" and shoot it a LOT!

Good score! :wink:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
chet15 said:
What you have is a standard auto that was converted to have a heavier bull barrel by one of the several companies who did such work. Clark out of Louisiana is one such individual who is rather famous today.
I'll guarantee the pistol didn't leave the factory that way originally. Kinda suprised they didn't put an adjustable target rear sight on it though while they were doing the work.
Since the standard models were cheaper, many of those who did the conversions used a standard model receiver and put their own heavy target barrel on them.
Volquartzen of Carroll, IA would probably the most famous company doing these conversions today.
Chet15

Now, the above explanation, makes a whole lot of sense.

Major T

Blackhawk
Someone may have lost the original rear sight. I called Ruger to get a replacement Micro for Dad's Mk I. The nice lady laughed at my request. She said those were gone many long learns ago. Sent me a then current production replacement for twenty something dollars.

Someone might have just gone fixed, but the front is not correct either.

Jack

whittler

Bearcat
Well, it works anyway. Ive had a heck of a time finding a 22 pistol I really liked, its a keeper for me.

Latest posts