Ruger 10/22 takedown stock-receiver screw comes loose?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Slips73

Bearcat
So the 10/22 my father gifted me a few months back has always had an issue with the screw (in the stock that you would take the rifle down with) coming loose or backing out when shooting extendedly. Say more than 100 rounds at one time.

The receiver does not look stripped and the screw is tight when i screw it directly into the receiver.

what could be causing this issue?

It shoots really good, but when the stock starts to get loose the groups obviously widen up.

thanks for any tips,

-Adam

MedicYeti

Bearcat
That's odd. I wonder if the bolt is a couple hundreds of an inch too small preventing a really good lock up. I'd try some Teflon plumbers tape on the threads for some easy and low cost troubleshooting.

9x19

Hunter
The screw may be a bit too long causing it to bottom out on the receiver.

You can file off one thread or try a different one.

blackwolfe

Single-Sixer
I have this problem on a carbine. I think the wood under the escutcheon was soft and compressing under recoil eventually loosening the screw. I would tighten it up and it would loosen again eventually pulling the escutcheon further into the wood. I decided to apply a little purple locktite to it as a temporary fix and when I took the take down screw out I noticed the barrel was loose. I was surprised at how loose the V block screws were. I'm not sure if the two are related, or if one caused the other or not. When the stock takedown screw was tight, this carbine shot well. I put a little purple locktite on the V block screws and on the stock takedown screw. I have shot about 200 rounds since, and all seems well. I'm not sure if this was the correct way to address this, but it seems to work for me for now. I hope to pillar bed this stock sometime, and that should take care of the problem. If this stock screw or another loosens again. I am going to check the barrel right away to see if it is loose.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
blackwolfe said:
I have this problem on a carbine. I think the wood under the escutcheon was soft and compressing under recoil eventually loosening the screw. I would tighten it up and it would loosen again eventually pulling the escutcheon further into the wood. I decided to apply a little purple locktite to it as a temporary fix and when I took the take down screw out I noticed the barrel was loose. I was surprised at how loose the V block screws were. I'm not sure if the two are related, or if one caused the other or not. When the stock takedown screw was tight, this carbine shot well. I put a little purple locktite on the V block screws and on the stock takedown screw. I have shot about 200 rounds since, and all seems well. I'm not sure if this was the correct way to address this, but it seems to work for me for now. I hope to pillar bed this stock sometime, and that should take care of the problem. If this stock screw or another loosens again. I am going to check the barrel right away to see if it is loose.

I had this same problem .... check your V-Block and tighten if needed, I bored out my stock and installed a brass bushing for the screw head to bottom out on, it took some work to size the bushing correctly, problem solved .... I gave the rifle to my son years ago and it still holds up today.