Whats the most accurate ammo or reload for Super Redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Super Redhawk

Bearcat
I just bought a NIB 7 1/2" 44mag Super Redhawk and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of the most accurate ammo for this pistol?

What bullet weight do they like best?

Does it prefer a certain factory ammo over another?

Do you know of any certain reload combination that works better than the rest?

Thanks for your time.
Ken

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I read here on the RugerForum from a reputable source that Federal 'Classic' 240gr JHP is what Ruger uses for testing in the 44 magnums. The Federal American Eagle ammo is the low-cost version of the same cartridge. I have shot a lot of this and it works very well and at the very least it is a good starting point for finding what works best in your gun. :D :D

...Jimbo

Super Redhawk

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
I read here on the RugerForum from a reputable source that Federal 'Classic' 240gr JHP is what Ruger uses for testing in the 44 magnums. The Federal American Eagle ammo is the low-cost version of the same cartridge. I have shot a lot of this and it works very well and at the very least it is a good starting point for finding what works best in your gun. :D :D

...Jimbo

Thanks.

I'll start checking around on prices. Hope I can get some time off from work sometime soon so I can shoot this thing.

Take care.
Ken

contender

Ruger Guru
You must realize that each & every firearm can be different in it's accuracy dept even using the exact same ammo.
Most of us experiment with many different loads & ammo types to find out what that exact firearm prefers in the accurcy dept.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Each gun is a rule unto itself. I have found that about 3 out of 4 guns in the same caliber will usually like very similar loads, but every now in then there is an oddball that likes something just completely different. According to "Ruger and His Guns?, Ruger has done studies on this and has never been able to pin down why some guns in a batch of identical guns will be accurate and others inaccurate. Sometimes just changing out a part or two will make all the difference. In fact, Ruger found that some guns which had conditions that should make them inaccurate to be extremely accurate, while others which were perfect were perfectly inaccurate.

I have worked and experimented toward coming up with standard loads for my 41 Magnums, with some real success. Then I bought a Redhawk, which I have found to be a real oddball. I was not far from giving up on this gun, when I came across a box of 50 in a load that I havent used in years. Low and behold, this Redhawk becomes 100 yard accurate, when I thought it couldnt the broad side of a barn with anything above a light target load. The one and only difference was the type of powder that I used.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Suggest Hornady XTP-HP loads.
Suggest Winchester and Federal premium hunting loads.
Siuggest BuffaloBore.

These loads offer you the best bullet performance matched with the highest accuracy potential.

Truth is, guns do not know how much the ammo cost......

Super Redhawk

Bearcat
Thank you for the information.

In the back of my head, I was thinking that there is no free lunch and that I'm just gonna have to play with some loads, but I was still hoping that I might get lucky.

I guess I should start with different bullet weights to see if I can notice a preference and then move onto powder charge. I have a few different powders so I can see if it prefers one over the other without spending a fortune.

Thanks again for your help.
Ken

CraigC

Hawkeye
There is absolutely no way to predict how your gun will shoot. You have to shoot it and see. Like you said, no free lunches.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Super Redhawk said:
Thank you for the information.

In the back of my head, I was thinking that there is no free lunch and that I'm just gonna have to play with some loads, but I was still hoping that I might get lucky.

I guess I should start with different bullet weights to see if I can notice a preference and then move onto powder charge. I have a few different powders so I can see if it prefers one over the other without spending a fortune.

Thanks again for your help.
Ken

I suggest that you start with a cheap common bullet, like the Remington 240 grain JHP and then test it with different powder weights, starting low working high in increemnts of no more than 1/2 grain. Bench rest the gun and see how it shoots. I would try 2400 first and then move onto H110, then IMR4227 and then Unique. I would also try Lil Gun. If your gun doesnt shoot well with those powders, then something is wrong. I would then try 240 grain cast lead SWC with Unique. Then move up in bullet weight and start again.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
All good advice here. Best place to start IMHO would be the classic "Keith" load of a Keith style 240g SWC hard cast bullet and 2400 powder.
Missouri Bullet Co has my favorite Keith bullet at very reasonable prices.

H110 is good if your looking for max power.
Unique/Universal for reduced power loads

Sal

GP100man

Buckeye
I have a Redhawk that will not shot useing h-110 , 2400 , but a tack driver with Herco or 800X

& the heavier the boolit the better , IMR 4227 powder for the heavies in all the 44s.

Can`t help with factory loadings , ain`t shot any since `83 !!!

Although I reload for mine, I usually have good luck with Winchester white box 240gr soft points, or with factory Hornady 240gr XTP's. As mentioned, each gun has its own favorite diet.
My RedHawk, TC Encore, and 96/44 all shoot 240gr Hornady XTP's over H110 very well. The 300gr XTP's also shoot very accurate in mine.

Super Redhawk

Bearcat
I thank you all for your help and information.

With kids and life events, I haven't had much time these past 10 or so years to devote to shooting and reloading, but my youngest is now at a point where he will be moving out and I believe that it is now time for me to pull out all of my reloading equipment and start having some fun.

Take care everyone and have a great week.
Ken

Latest posts