GP 100 front sight paint or Super Redhawk sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MidLife

Single-Sixer
I was looking for advice on the front sight for highlighting. Is Testers model paint the recommended highlight (does it hold up to cleaning?) or is a Super Redhawk sight with colored insert better? Is the Super Redhawk sight the same height as a Gp 100 adjustable front sight model?
I had read it was a little taller.
Thanks in advance.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The Redhawk sight is a little taller but the good news is there is a GP-100 front sight with a red plastic insert also. :D

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-GP100-Red-Front-Sight/productinfo/90074/

...jimbo

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I find Testors Fluorescent colors (they sell a six-color kit for under $10) to be bright and durable.
I prefer the green, and use it on numerous autoloaders.

I have Millett orange-ramp front blades on all my Rugers.

maxpress

Buckeye
After you get your new front sight you may wanna bring along some tester of a different color and figure out how far down the sight you have to aim to hit at 100yrds and make a mark.
Dont know why but i thought i would mention it.

bub

Single-Sixer
Testor's always worked well for me. While on the ramp to match the white outline on the rear sight.

It holds up to cleaning with Hoppes OK. Not great but OK. After several cleanings, enough has worn off that a reapplication is necessary. That's to good thing about Testor's. It's cheap enough that, when it needs reapplied and the paint is dried out in the bottle, just go buy another bottle.

Bub

Thel

Blackhawk
Ruger also has a 4 sight set of flourescent fronts for Redhawks. These can be filed down to correct height readily. Regarding the paint on metal sights perhaps would be a bit more permanent if the sight were primed and after the color sealed with a clear sealer of some sort. Teddy Jacobsen does this on many guns going through his shop and the color seems a bit more permanent. Never tried it over the long term, though. Another alternative might be to file a notch in the sight and put in (or have a gunsmith do this) a sight insert of the desired color.

The idea about getting multiple colors to try is a good idea. Generally, red is the hardest
color for the eye to pick up. Green or bright orange seems to work better for me. Some
use yellow or on hunting guns blue to stand out against the foliage.

ray1970

Single-Sixer
There are some decent aftermarket front sights with fiber optics as well. I have one on my GP100.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Thel said:
...Another alternative might be to file a notch in the sight and put in (or have a gunsmith do this) a sight insert of the desired color.

The notch can be filled with colored epoxy also. Just add a drop or two of your preferred Testor color to any clear two part epoxy. I put masking tape over the serrations and use two popsicle sticks clamped to the sides with a clothes pin. Dab in the tinted epoxy with a tooth pick. After it sets up, trim and sand away the excess. A little cold blue touch up to the sides of the blade and you're done. I've done several like this and it holds up quite well.

deac45

MidLife

Single-Sixer
Great ideas everyone! Thanks!
I may pickup a second standard sight and make the modifications, that way I can restore the stock sight if needed,

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
The epoxy/paint combo is going to be the most durable, but if you don't want to go that route, a little clear fingernail polish over the cured paint will protect from solvents and keep it looking new for a while. I did this on a 1911 front sight a while back and it's still bright and clean.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I've used the testors model paint for years. It is very durable just by itself. I will usually repaint my sights about every 2 years just to freshen them up. I use a brass brush to remove the old paint and apply the new with a toothpick. Testors makes some very bright colors that work great on sights. I wipe down the front blade with alcahol then apply the paint and let it dry overnight. The key to getting a good job is to not apply too much paint. I only dip about 1/16 inch of the toothpick in the paint and touch the center of the blade and it fills up to the edge.

ray1970

Single-Sixer
Finally got a picture of mine... no need to paint the front sights anymore when replacement pieces are readily available.

DSCF1830.jpg

jimbo-indy

Bearcat
I find the Williams "Fire Sight" front/rear set to be excellent with my poor eyes. Used this set for bowling pins on a GP100 with great results.