327 Mag.,how loud compared to .357 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

idahostreams

Bearcat
Hi All,
Interested in how loud the muzzle blast is in the 327. I would like to use it for jack rabbits but not if it is as loud as a .357. Now using a .38 special.
.Thanks,
Julian

Personally I don't notice much difference in noise whether I shoot 32 Mags or 327 out of my single six. Regardless of gun I have hearing protection on anyway. Not doing that when younger is why I got my first set of hearing aids last week. :oops:

idahostreams

Bearcat
Most of my rabbit hunting is walking them up in the sage brush. A lot of the time I hear them jump behind me. I always use ear protection when at the range or plinking but like the .38 special and 44 spcl for small game hunting because they don't bust my ears like the 357 mag and 44 mag. Messed up my hearing with the 357 50 yrs. ago.

Julian

wwb

Hunter
A good pair of the electronic muffs (the ones with 4 microphones so you can still determine sound direction) will actually let you hear better than with naked ears, and will shut off above 85 dB, making the muzzle blast a moot point.

An excellent investment.... way cheaper than hearing aids.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have several .32 H&R Magnums. I have used them on edible small game. However, I do NOT use the magnums on small game. There is absolutely NO need to do so. I load up the .32 S&W Long case with a wadcutter or SWC loaded to target velocities. At the ranges that edible small game is shot, they work beautifully. The noise is MUCH less than a full house magnum load.

Of course, you can do the same thing with the longer .32 H&R Magnum and Federal .327 case. Keep the velocity around 800 fps. The occasional game shot in the open should not be too damaging to the hearing.

Of course, the BEST solution is to use, as stated above, one of the new electronic muffs to protect your hearing.

FWIW
Dale53

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Writer Mike Venturino tells the story about how the 32 WCF (32-20) is by far the loudest of the Colt SAA cartridges (the others are the 38 WCF, 44 WCF, and 45 Colt).

Comments that antique Colt 32 WCF revolvers are more frequently found with broken grips due to dropping them when they were fired back in the days before hearing protection was common.

nn

Single-Sixer
idahostreams":3if7ircn said:
Hi All,
Interested in how loud the muzzle blast is in the 327. I would like to use it for jack rabbits but not if it is as loud as a .357. Now using a .38 special.
.Thanks,
Julian
Loud and about the same.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Both are supersonic, and thats where the majority of the noise comes from.

In MT it is illegal to hunt big game with a suppressed firearm, but small game aren't regulated, and I use a suppressed .22 on them.

Not to seem biased but my comparison would be"F150 vs F350 crewcab dually". They both carry a load and run the speed limit but one has more potential to handle a big job.