Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Blackhawk at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I took my .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary blackhawk out today. I didn't chronograph my loads since I have to go to work later. I used my favorite handloads of 10.0 grains of Unique and the Lyman #429421 250 grain cast bullets. The bullets speak for themselves. The only thing I need to do is to change the grips. The texture on these makes it feel like I rubbed sandpaper on my hand after only a few shots. Can anyone tell me what style gripframe these are? I know they are different then my Old Model Flat Top, which are shorter.
Picture214.jpg

Picture227.jpg

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I went with the factory faux Ivories, they are smooth and a bit thicker. The black 'cheesegraters' are too small for my hand as well as a bad texture.

1233878404.jpg

Dirknar

Bearcat
Nice shooting and nice .44-50th.

Polish up the internals if you want to make a much smoother action and trigger.

If your looking for a holster. I just purchased this Tripple K brand, Cheyenne the other day and it fits like a glove and it seems to be a very thick, sturdy holster for 50 bucks. Cabela's sells them.
DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

Hokie73

Bearcat
I have been really happy with the accuracy on mine, too, but man that XR3 grip beats me up. I am thinking as soon as I come into some money I am going to get a Hunter grip frame put on it. It is my only adjustable sighted 44 Magnum revolver now. My Vaquero 44 is okay with hot loads, but I want to try a Hunter grip frame bad. I guess I will have to get it black chromed if I want it to match.

Dale53

Blackhawk
The grip frame is not compatible with my hands (I have rather large hands). "What Cheer" sent me a pair of Pachmayrs (out of the blue) that while not made for this grip frame, fit rather well and totally solve the grip problem for me. It is now VERY comfortable and it and it's companion .44 Lipsey Special are becoming fast favorites to me.

The only problem is, I only have one set so hopefully will find a second set for the 50th Anniversary revolver (the .44 Lipsey Special got the first set :mrgreen:).

Dale53

mattsbox99

Hunter
You guys are really making me want to go shoot mine! I have the Ruger half checkered rosewoods with the black eagle insert. They look great on the pistol.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
You guys sure showed restraint on yours...I also did not care for the factory grip.
I'm running 300's at 1350 fps.
DSCN0737.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hokie73":6r62w2no said:
I have been really happy with the accuracy on mine, too, but man that XR3 grip beats me up. I am thinking as soon as I come into some money I am going to get a Hunter grip frame put on it.

My sentiments, as well. Homeboy Hunter Grip Frame? Take a standard Super and "fix" the trigger guard.

50thShooterLR.jpg

I also "dropped in" a OM .44 Blackhawk cylinder, however it's a little loose so I'm going to have to fix that.....

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
tek4260":3qknda31 said:
Why install an old model cylinder? The recessed chambers?

Yup, just 'cause I could.........and, the modified lockwork works smoother with the OM cylinder's ratchet.

I just can't leave "well enough" alone and tossed out the reverse indexing pawl, adjusted the regular pawl to fine tune the carry-up timing, welded up the hammer, cut in a half cock notch, welded up the leg of the cylinder latch to fix the latch timing.....etc.

I hope 'ya understand!

:D

flatgate

Bucks Owin

Hunter
flatgate":2kxmqqit said:
tek4260":2kxmqqit said:
Why install an old model cylinder? The recessed chambers?

Yup, just 'cause I could.........and, the modified lockwork works smoother with the OM cylinder's ratchet.

I just can't leave "well enough" alone and tossed out the reverse indexing pawl, adjusted the regular pawl to fine tune the carry-up timing, welded up the hammer, cut in a half cock notch, welded up the leg of the cylinder latch to fix the latch timing.....etc.

I hope 'ya understand!

:D

flatgate
Nice work flatgate, it's a real beauty! The OM Single Six in my avatar is my "Jim Taylor Special" with one chamber reamed for .22 WMR and the gripframe comes off my old .44 FT. Had the trigger worked down to 2.5 lbs....Happily, it tosses the 45 gr mag round just above the .22 LR group at 25 yds. It didn't "need" to be messed with, guess I spoiled it as a collecter but........yeah, understood :wink: