Vaquero .45 C for hunting backup?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meeteetse

Bearcat
I have used Blackhawks, SBH and Vaqueros in 45 and 44 and they all work, both as a primary and secondary gun when hunting. The BH and SBH are better as a primary because of the adjustable sights, but my Vaqueros, once they were sighted in properly, are just as reliable, if not more so, because I don't have to worry about knocking the sights out of alignment.

I don't know if the $400 is a good price because I haven't seen one for a long time to know what the current value is, but I know one thing, unless the Vaquero has been severely mistreated, it is a rugged gun that will last a life time. Buy it, I would, because I have several times.

Chukar hunter

Bearcat
There are a few guys that post on this forum that make absolutely gorgeous grips. Wood is nice but a .45 Vaquero also looks really nice with Elk Stag Grips. Mine has the rosewood critters. Make sure to wipe it down so it wont rust. I bought mine in honor of my Grandad, who had a Colt SAA until he passed away. That was his back up gun in elk and deer camp for many years. Show us some pics later of you carrying it in the field!

Chukar hunter":166l4r5j said:
There are a few guys that post on this forum that make absolutely gorgeous grips. Wood is nice but a .45 Vaquero also looks really nice with Elk Stag Grips. Mine has the rosewood critters. Make sure to wipe it down so it wont rust. I bought mine in honor of my Grandad, who had a Colt SAA until he passed away. That was his back up gun in elk and deer camp for many years. Show us some pics later of you carrying it in the field!

Stag grips are beautiful. I have none on any of my firearms, but I do have stag grips(sambar, I think) on my Randall knives. :D

maxpress

Buckeye
JimMarch1":tiuv141w said:
You can get factory ammo for that thing that outperforms most 44Magnum ammo. The hottest is by Buffalo Bore, look under their 45LC+P listings.

It's basically a 44Magnum-class frame, mechanically identical to a SuperBlackhawk except for sights and hammer.

figure out if its an om vaquero or a "new" vaquero before sticking buffalobores in the thing. the strength is not the same.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Nite Ryder":1yvw26fg said:
My friend that is the bow hunter said all he could think about as that Cougar got closer, was that he had only two shots left in his gun. You might be real quick and a 'fancy shot', but try a Cougar coming through the brush at you.

Rather than blaming the gun for having a "perceived" deficiency in capacity it might be a better idea to examine the tactics used and the wisdom behind wasting four shots (two thirds!!!) trying to scare the damn thing away. How many would he have wasted if he had a Glock 20 with him? Ten or twelve???

maxpress

Buckeye
i use to drop big pigs in the slaughter pen with an old .22 rifle. im sure a .45 will be a good backup and would drop a moutain kitty. never was quite sure why people send a hail of lead in the general vicinity of a target hoping for a good hit. if the thing is going to attack then it needs to be close enough for you to get a decent shot in.

VHRAM

Bearcat
I carry my 45lc blackhawk convertable when I go out hunting . Good poit and shoot gun . Shoots great . Its got the 4 5/8 barrel, recoil is nothing to speak of.