Stainless NM Blackhawk and 9mm cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sydtheframer

Bearcat
Newbie here ... Will the blued 9mm Cylinder fit the Stainless NM Blackhawk with 6" barrel ... Or is it possible to get a stainless 9mm cylinder to fit it ...Syd

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
sydtheframer":nft30me4 said:
Newbie here ... Will the blued 9mm Cylinder fit the Stainless NM Blackhawk with 6" barrel

Some times. The Ruger cylinders are not drop-in. Some will, by chance, fit and others need the sevices of a gunsmith. I got lucky and mine dropped in for a perfect fit.

357Blackhawk-vi.jpg

Jack

sydtheframer

Bearcat
Thank for . prompt reply .... most helpful ... If I buy the stainless I am looking at I will take the cylider out and micrometer it up and look for the same size or slightly bigger ... I have the means to alter it to size ... I note you have the blued one ... So can I assume you cannot get the stainless one ... Nice revolver you have there ... Syd

street

Hunter
sydtheframer":3jbv4wjb said:
Thank for . prompt reply .... most helpful ... If I buy the stainless I am looking at I will take the cylider out and micrometer it up and look for the same size or slightly bigger ... I have the means to alter it to size ... I note you have the blued one ... So can I assume you cannot get the stainless one ... Nice revolver you have there ... Syd

Better look for a blue 9MM cylinder. Ruger never offered the convertible .357-9MM in stainless steel, they only made it in blue. The only exception was about 300 KBN-36X made in 1974. It's going to be next to impossible to find one of those stainless steel 9 mm cylinders.

sydtheframer

Bearcat
Thanks ... Having looked it up ... blue it is ... I will buy the gun first ... then I will post on the forum once i have sized the existing cylinder ... I will post on the forum ... Thank you all ... Great forum ... Syd

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Has anyone fitted a 9mm cylinder to a New Vaquero/Anniversary .357 Mag gun? The cylinder length can't be that different, can it?
I'm sure the cylinder diameter is the problem, or I'm sure I would have seen more people talking about their mid-framed convertables.

-Stephen

flatgate

Hawkeye
StanMemTn":27hvjqg2 said:
Has anyone fitted a 9mm cylinder to a New Vaquero/Anniversary .357 Mag gun? The cylinder length can't be that different, can it?
I'm sure the cylinder diameter is the problem, or I'm sure I would have seen more people talking about their mid-framed convertables.

-Stephen

Ah, well, the .357/9mm convertibles are made on the "Large" frame. The New Vaquero is on the '55 styled "Medium" frame. The diameters and lengths are quite different. I'd imagine the distance from the base pin centerline to chamber center differs.......but I'm too lazy to run downstairs into the Dungeon to check.... :D

JMHO,

flatgate

victank1

Bearcat
sydtheframer, a used blued one is probably your best bet. I have one for my vaquero and for my New model blackhawk, both were bought from a friend. I called Ruger and they told me they would not fit a 9mm cylinder to a 357 gun if it was not origanlly shipped with one. They wanted my serial number from the gun and looked it up, and said sorry but they will not fit one any longer if it did not come with one. The two I have were fitted and machine to fit my Rugers. You will probably end up doing this. Good Luck

sydtheframer

Bearcat
Didn't Redstick order several stainless cylinders in different calibers from Ruger ...Syd the framer