4 5/8 VS 5 1/5 Super Black Hawk Stainless .44 MAG

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aggie01

Blackhawk
1blkhwk":26rvc7cq said:
COR,

where did the front sight come from? I'd like to get one for my SBH.

thanks!

hope I'm not speaking out of turn, looks like a Weigand Combat front sight base. It takes any blade that fits the S&W DX system.

COR

Blackhawk
1blkhwk":2f6bjpgx said:

COR,

where did the front sight come from? I'd like to get one for my SBH.

thanks!

That is actually a sight done by Gary Reeder that is most similar to the FA's style with a set screw going in the front. That may also be like the Weigand style but I am not familiar with that brand.I have some fiber optic blades that have worked great in the early morning and late evening too. The "bead blasting" is called vapor honing which is a much softer subtler look IMHO. You'll love the SBH, great packing gun and with all the power you need. Just remember it is much easier to cut off a barrel that is too long than extend one that is too short. :wink:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Based on loads of around 1000 fps from the 4 5/8", I would guess that the 5 1/2" would give 1100 fps; the 7 1/2" 1200 fps.
At what point does increased velocity become important to you?
Sonnytoo

1blkhwk

Bearcat
I've found that 8 gr of titegroup under a 240 gr swc I'm getting 1033 fps. Its good for me for most of my walking around. The hotter loads are fun!

:)

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Well today I put in an order for one of these paper weights lol. :)
120L.jpg

The 4 5/8ths Model and the 5.5 model are the same price.

Is there anything I should look for on this model?

Wheel Gunner

Bearcat
I rescued this 4 5/8" last weekend. It was in the used section. The fired case says 5/9/2009. Huh, there's not a mark on it anywhere.

Got a small bit of leading in it when I shot it (I'm a lead shooter). I have a new (larger) sizer die in the mail. Three SA's in the last thirty days, My tastes are changing I rekon.

Dscf1272.jpg

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Really it does make sense that it is almost brand new. I have seen MANY people purchase a .44 Mag or larger and take them to the range one time and almost drop them when the fire them or it will scare the heck out of them. And so they will just turn around at a loss and trade them in for something smaller or just outright sell them again for something smaller like a .38 Sp.

I still remember many years ago when Dirty Harry came out and everyone wanted the S&W 29 in .44 Mag of which I was a youngster then lol. But I was at the shooting range and a well dressed man showed up in his business suit with a beautiful presentation box with the brand new Smith in it with I think 12 rounds in the box. He took it out with a clean white towel and placed it on the table and even wiped every round with a clean towel before he loaded the revolver. He brought it up and pulled the trigger one time lol. It looked like his eyes were going to come out of his head lol. Needless to say he unloaded it and cleaned it off again and put it in the box and left lol.

What you purchased is a darn good looking Pistol I have to say.

All I shoot is Home Cast Lead :). And I have to say as you can tell by this thread that I was going nuts between the 4 5/8 and the 5.5. And I just felt that the 5.5 would handle a bit better with the loads I have. As I tend to shoot from the Ideal 431244 SWC GC at 257Gr up to the Lee 310Gr RNFP GC. And yes I know the 5.5 is only 7/8ths longer lol. :)

I do have a darn new Ruger Bisley Stainless Steel Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 Mag. I think at this time I have roughly 160 rounds through her. :) Testing Man just Testing lol.

The only problem with either one of them is now I have to find a good set of gunfighter grips for it. :) As they are thinner and smaller that will fit me far better than the factory Ruger Grips.

1blkhwk

Bearcat
Wheelgunner,

That is a sharp looking sixshooter! :) I've asked member 41 mag to set me up with some longer stocks for my 4 5/8" sbh. It, like yours came to me possibly never shot and will be a favorite for packing in the woods.

:wink:

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
You guys need to stop or I will have to call my friend and change my order to the 4 5/8ths model lol.

1Blkhwk Even my Stainless Bisley Hunter was only shot one time lol. The person I purchased it from at the gun show said it is just wayyyyyyyyy too much gun. :)

1blkhwk

Bearcat
JesterGrin_1":1es4q2qc said:
You guys need to stop or I will have to call my friend and change my order to the 4 5/8ths model lol.

1Blkhwk Even my Stainless Bisley Hunter was only shot one time lol. The person I purchased it from at the gun show said it is just wayyyyyyyyy too much gun. :)

Ha!

I got this one because I knew it was exactly what I wanted. 'Course if a 5.5" had showed up first..... :lol:

I now have my sights on a 4 5/8" Vaquero 45 Colt!!! 8)

63November

Single-Sixer
I like and shoot the 4 5/8 versions better than the longer ones. I doubt that one would find much useful difference between the two you're contemplating other than that one might feel better or may sight better depending on your eyes.

Wheel Gunner

Bearcat
1blkhwk":2e8gj6lq said:
JesterGrin_1":2e8gj6lq said:

Ha!

I got this one because I knew it was exactly what I wanted. 'Course if a 5.5" had showed up first..... :lol:

I now have my sights on a 4 5/8" Vaquero 45 Colt!!! 8)

Here are the three amigo's that just wondered in, in the past month :)

When you guys find or locate some other grips be sure and let us see them.

Top is Vaquero 45 w/box'n papers etc
Middle is 1966 BH 357 un-molested
Bottom is SBH 44 w/box'n papers etc

Dscf1233.jpg