how good is winchester ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a sp101 3inch, and a gp100 4inch 357magnum. i just got back from wal mart and bought some winchester 110 grain hollow point personal defense ammo, how good is it? i normaly only buy federal, speer, magtech, or hornady, i have never shot winchester handgun ammo, exspecially 110 grain i usually use 125, or 158. when i saw it i didn't know whether i should get it, but with ammo hard to find i decided to give it a try. thanks for any help.

Rainman

Blackhawk
I've used it or years with good success. As a reloader, I actually prefer the cases.

White box, bulk ammo (usually 100 rounds at Wally World) is a super buy if you don't reload.

Dan

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I've never had any kind of failure with Win white box ammo in 9MM, 38Sp, .357 and .45 ACP. As for the 110 gr JHP, my wife's bedside gun, a S&W .357, is loaded with it and I for sure wouldn't want to be shot with it :)

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Winchester ammo in general is pretty good stuff. VERY few overpressure "bad apples", the stuff is probably just about the least likely to blow your gun up of any brand.

The Winchester 357 110gr JHP isn't a half bad defense load. It's not "the best", it's a pretty old-school JHP design but it's still a decent stopper with decent heat on it, good odds of expansion. Not my first choice, but if I had to carry it for self defense I wouldn't be desperate for another option.

mt

Single-Sixer
I think the 110 gr. Magnums have noticeably less recoil than the 125 gr. and the 158 gr. That should be a plus shooting them in the SP101. If you get close enough you can set stuff on fire with that load. 8)

mt

mjh

Single-Sixer
I like 'em as my practice and warm up rounds before I shot the heavier loads. Wish I could find some around here I've been looking periodicly and while I can find lots to shoot now I can't find white box 110's

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
I had not bought a box of factory ammo in 20+ years until recently I was in Walmart and they had 1 box of .223 Win white box on the shelf. I'd never seen this load before. It was 45 gr JHP Varmint advertised at 3600 FPS. At $24 for a 40 rd box I felt I couldn't go wrong. I was very impressed with the accuracy at 100 yds. I shot a couple of 3/8" groups with it which aint bad for this ole man.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i'm gonna go out today and shoot some, i'll let everyone know tonite how it did. the wal mart i shop at is starting to fill there shelves with ammo again, the clerk who by some miracle is also a shooter says just about everything is coming in on time except 38, 357, 9mm, and 22's but they are coming in faster than they were a month ago. mabe the ammo problem is starting to slowly ease off, i hope so.

tek4260

Buckeye
I know that the Winchester brand 454's are quite mild compared to Magtech brand in the same caliber and weight. The recoil feels more like a medium 45 Colt load.

boomslang

Bearcat
Winchester 44 mag ammo from Wallmart is great. Have been reloading those cases for a year now.

Bulk white box FMJ 9mm is good. Had one round that was miss crimped and would not feed once. ONCE, out of thousands of rounds.

Nary a problem with their personal defense 9mm.

No problems here with the 38, 9mm, .357 and 45acp. And as said before - the cases are just as good as most for reloading. I'm still looking for the 100 count bulk pack of 30 carbine to come in. At about 25 bucks a box, it's pretty decent fodder for the OM Blackhawk.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
well i just got back in from my back yard shooting range,(man i love living in the country) the ammo shoots great. the only problem now is it shot so good i shot all of it, i'll have to go back to wal mart and hope they got more in. the recoil is no more than +p 38's, and at 20yds i kept my groups at about 2 1/2 to 3 inches. that better than i did with my other ammo, it may have a small bullet but with accuracy like that i'll get me another box or two for sure.

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
Hello,

In my 357 Mangums (4" to 4 5/8") 125gr JHPs are as light as I go. But since your using a 3"? SP101 the 110gr fodder may indeed be a better choice. I have had outstanding performance from the 125gr Remington JHP x100 round value packs from Walmart.

Happy Shooting,

bhp9mm

Bearcat
its always worked fine i have shot alot of 9mm and some 38 and 45 i think it good ammo for the price

Latest posts