Questions on a Ruger Security-Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobbyzoeller

Bearcat
Today I purchased my very first Ruger double action revolver. In the past I've owned literally dozens of Smith & Wessons and Colts, but never a Ruger. I've owned single action Rugers in the past and a .22 Ruger automatic but never a double action revolver.

Here are my questions:

First, the gun is a Ruger Security Six in stainless steel with a serial number of 151-80214. It does not have all of that warning crap on the barrel. Can you please tell me when it was manufactured?

Secondly, I bought this particular Ruger specifically because I have read it is a much most robust revolver in terms of being able to withstand a steady steam of .357 magnum ammunition. I've always considered a Smith & Wesson Model 19 with a 2-1/2" barrel one of the supreme carry guns of all time but I've heard, true or false, that they are quite fragile when firing 125 grain jacketed rounds and that the forcing cone is prone to cracking especially if there is an excessive lead build up. My question is, compared to a Smith & Wesson Model 19, how would you rate a Ruger Security-Six in terms of reliability and overall quality?

Third, I paid $300 for this revolver earlier today. It is near mint, although it has been fired a little. The grips are perfect and I do not think they have ever been off the weapon. The finish is more or less flawless and it has a barrel length of 2-3/4." There was no box. How does this price compare with others out there?

I passed up the chance on a Speed-Six earlier last week that I noticed at a local pawn shop where the listed price was an amazing $279. It was as new with a short barrel in stainless steel as well. So, when I noticed this Security-Six for $300 at another location, I had to have it.

Thanks.

Bobby Zoeller
Louisville, Kentucky

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Welcome to RF!

Your gun was likely made in 1975, the Warning started in 1978.

The -Six series is tough, I would think tougher than a S&W M19.

You got a good deal for an early stainless 2.75" barrel which is the least common barrel length on the adjustable sight model. I would think $400 would not have been too much.

You should also run back and get that Speed Six ;)

bobbyzoeller

Bearcat
"You should also run back and get that Speed Six"

I can't. It was already gone when I got there. The pawn shop I saw it at can either have some remarkable bargains or they can have some really over priced crap. It's seldom I find anything in between. The day after the Speed-Six was gone, I stopped by and the Security-Six had also apparently found a new home.

So today, when I spotted the other Security-Six at a different location, I snapped it up. The guy had two. One with, and one without, the warning notice on the barrel. I bought the earlier version without. He had it listed at $350, told me he would take $325, and when I told him I was just looking he said I could have it for $300. I walked away, almost left, then went back and got it for $300. Hey, it's my birthday next month like my wife said !!!!! So why not.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Congrats! You just bought the best revolver known to man kind, in my opinion :D You also got a great deal on it, even better!

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Congrats on your purchase Mr. Zoeller.

The Security Six is a great revolver, much stronger than the Smith model 19. The Security Six should last you a lifetime and will handle most any load you can put through it. By using "most any", I would stick with standard loading procedures and pressures as I don't think any gun should be used as a shield against improper procedures and pressures. Your mileage may vary on this statement as there are some things you can do with Rugers that you can't do with other revolvers, but the revolver is likely to last a very very long time if loads of standard pressures and procedures are used.

Just to help you in the future with your serial number needs, the Ruger serial numbers are online at the following link:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... story.html

Enjoy the Security Six, it is a dandy in my opinion. ;)

Wixed

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The published serial number history in the above link is general. For specific ship month/year, you should call Ruger Records at 603-865-2424.

The data in the link above would suggest a 1976 date, but if that were the case, the gun would have the "MADE IN THE 200th YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY" statement on the left side of the frame.

The SN entry in these tables indicate the first gun shipped that year but Ruger did not ship guns in specific serial number sequence.

bobbyzoeller

Bearcat
Thanks for the information.

I bought the Security-Six more as a carry gun than anything else because I had always heard what fine weapons they were. Personally I tend to agree with some that they are "over engineered." I do a lot more collecting than I do shooting but I always want the best I can get and that especially includes fine handguns. What impressed me about the Ruger was the number of people praising it's strength and reliability.

It seems nearly every gun, Smith & Wesson, Colt, etc. seems to have some type of drawback if you talk to enough people. The S&W Model 19 and the cracked forcing cone problem comes to mind. Frankly, before reading some of the entries on the Smith & Wesson Forum, I never heard of it before. I've even asked some people that I consider somewhat of an expert when it comes to firearms and they never heard of it either. But, after reading enough opinions on the forum to convince myself it must have some merit to the allegations, I looked for another revolver. One without such a history of potential problems.

I was in the market for a full sized S&W Model 27 with a 3-1/2" barrel, but with a starting price in the neighborhood of $1000, I doubt I would carry that gun much for fear of finger printing it up or something.

The Ruger Security-Six and it's $300 price tag and it's worthiness when it comes to a reliable and proven pistol, sealed my decision to buy it.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I never speak ill of S&W since my girlfriend's father worked there for 35 years. I even own a few (and I bought 'em all before I met her). ;)

But as an example of the strength of the Security Six, here is a pic of my dad's first Ruger, an old frame 6" blue .357. This revolver has somewhere in the neighborhood of 35,000 rounds through it and still functions flawlessly and is still very accurate.

18313404.jpg

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
The model 19 was originally designed as a carry sidearm for law endorcement. The intent was that it was beefy enough for .357 rounds, but light enough to be carried constantly. As well, the primary diet would be the qualifying .38 specials, with .357s carried with much less shooting.
The cops I knew who carried and shot them loved the guns, but over time the cylinder latchup loosened and required periodic professional servicing. The Ruger was certainly beefier (sic?) in that regard.

DGW1949

Hunter
The early Ruger DA's have always been one of the best gun values out there. That was true back when they were new, and is even moreso today.
As far as comparing the deal you got to "others out there"....
To me, it don't much matter how much you paid because the bottom line to the SS -series Rugers is..... even if a guy pays a bit too much, he still didn't pay much for the amount of gun he got.
In other words, What else are ya going to buy for $300 these days that even comes close?

Far as current pricing goes...
There are others here that knows a lot more about that than I do.
About all I know is that I bought a real clean 4" blued model with factory target grips last weekend. It came with 300 rds of factory ammo and 2 sets of non-factory grips.....which meant that I've got less than $300 in the gun itself.
So comparing the deal I got on my more common model to the deal you got on your somewhat rare model.....I'd have to say that you did very well indeed.

That's all I know about that.

DGW

I've had my Security Six since 1980, stainless 4" version that I carried for 5+ years as an on-duty sidearm. I still shoot it as often as possible and NEVER had a failure or problem. I think you did very well with that $300 price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for sure.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
The appeal of the Security Sixes is that they were NOT over built.

Newer Rugers are overbuilt.

Thus when you pack a Security Six or one of it's siblings you are packing just the right amount of steel and engineering.

Later guns tug at your pants more than necessary.

My somewhat worn and loose blued 4" cost 250 and I am very pleased with it. If I got a deal like yours, a SS 2 3/4" for 300 ....... I'd be doing back flips (even with my sometimes sore back!)

Congrats

Three 44s

Wheel Gunner

Bearcat
The used gun market in your area is seems very very reasonable over there. Perhaps I ought to think of moving back.

Congrats on a nice find indeed and my condolences on the other (lost) one. ;)

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
$300 for a 2 3/4 inch Security Six is a good price around here as well. The blued noes I have seen run $300-$350 and stainless you almost never see but when you do they command a premium in the shorty barrel. I bought my wife a Stainless Security Six 4 inch two years ago.
Fantastic gun so I'd say you did very well.

Latest posts