Ivory Grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sx1skeet

Bearcat
I'm not sure wich model they came off of can any one help also what are they worth they are true Ivory. I would post pics but not sure how to.
Matt[/url]

Boge

Single-Sixer
Ivory grips are usually fit to a specific gun and there is really no great resale value for them, i.e., you'll never get your money back by selling them off of your gun if they were fit to that gun. Mind you, I'm talking REAL ivory and not the "faux" stuff. Ivory is worth a lot uncut and as fitted to a gun.

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
Hey sx1skeet, If those grips have black eagles, are true ivory, and fit the early xr3 frame, you have a very collectible set, and I will buy them from you right now. Email me a picture or two to [email protected]. For the right set you could be in excess of $1,000. RB

flatgate

Hawkeye
sx1skeet":1f9mdahd said:
I'm not sure wich model they came off of can any one help also what are they worth they are true Ivory. I would post pics but not sure how to.
Matt

Pic posting instructions are in Ruger Forum's Gallery. Here's a couple of pics of some Ivory grips that were sold as options by Ruger back in the 50's.

119416764.jpg

119416767.jpg

flatgate

PS When posting images, please separate them via the return key so the images appear "stacked" vertically and NOT HORIZONTALLY. :D

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:shock: OK Carl, I'll bite, I'll start the bidding on those at $500 per side. After all, those are old, and someone has written on them....RB :D

sx1skeet, welcome to the Forum....when you say "tru ivory..." are you referring to the company,up in Wash. state (Bar S grips) that makes "Tru-Ivory" grips or are you saying they are "real" ivory...as said above BIG difference... the 'Tru-Ivory' grips , which are rally nice by the way and I've had a few apirs myself, sell in the $150 range,maybe a bit more today...as for "real" ivory form some sort of "mammal" will run up into the mid $1000 range ,IF, they are Ruger, "factory" ivory from the old model era...other wise, like Colts and Ajax, whom-ever, they will run $500 to $700 plus for Colt "factory" Single Action army grips..........then there are the ,plastic "ivory" or even the older Westinghouse 'micarta' type ( laminated) and tend to be more yellow,,,these will run in the upper $60-80 range, the white plactic grips ,(from Ruger) run $75-$100.....

so now, just what is it, you may have................

ps...the test for REAL ivory is a "hot" ( heated pin) in the backside of the grip panel, and smell "burning hair"....they are "dense, as well as heavy"

flatgate

Hawkeye
RugerBoi,

Hah, now I gotta clean Fat Tire Ale off my Laptop screen! I ain't laughed that hard for a long, long time!

:D

flatgate

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I'm not an expert, far from it. I have one pair of pre war Colt ivories for a Colt SAA. Look at the butt of the grips you have . Is there a subtle (or obvious) crosshatching pattern there or is it smooth? Fake ivory has it's own characteristic. Take a look and tell us what you see. Really, this is important.

sx1skeet

Bearcat
They are real Ivory as I have done the hot pin test on them. I would like to put pics on put looks hard to me. They do have the black egal on them put it has a an sr in side the egal. If some one could post pics for me I would be glade to send pics to them.
Matt Stevenson

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:D Help us out here Carl, soon as you get that key board and screen dried up, did Ruger sell any "real" ivory with skwashed chichens? RB

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:shock: For those of you that have not had the pleasure of my warped sense of humor...I was bidding on Flatgate's grips...The real ones, with the band saw marks on the back, with the factory pencil # of the set. And since I recently traded a nearly new in the box four digit 41 to get a set thought the offer at least a good start....Sorry bout the ale Carl, come by Boise and I'll fix you up with a good Oregon Black beer. RB