Burris Fastfire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cworetired

Single-Sixer
Has anyone installed one of these on a Super Redhawk or anything? What do you think about it? With my eyes I need some help so I am thinking about this item and thought I would ask the experts first.

hunter58

Bearcat
I've had one on a contender for over a year. It's held up well. The led is a little bright in low light conditions, but I like it well enough I'm going to purchase another one.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have seen a few in USPSA competition. While I don't have that type,, i'd think that since it's a Burris it should be quality. And if competitors who use race guns feel it's good enough for them,, then it must be fine. Competitors can get stressed easily when their pet gun doesn't do good. So if there was anything wrong with them,, they wouldn't be showing up more & more on race guns.
I have a few other red dot types of optics. I even have an older Tasco Optima that looks a lot like the Burris. They can be quite nice to have when tired older eyes start causing issues.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
contender":1g24f9g0 said:
I have seen a few in USPSA competition. While I don't have that type,, i'd think that since it's a Burris it should be quality. And if competitors who use race guns feel it's good enough for them,, then it must be fine. Competitors can get stressed easily when their pet gun doesn't do good. So if there was anything wrong with them,, they wouldn't be showing up more & more on race guns.
I have a few other red dot types of optics. I even have an older Tasco Optima that looks a lot like the Burris. They can be quite nice to have when tired older eyes start causing issues.
I hope the Burris version is more rugged than the Optima. They (and their J-Point twins) had the reputation for dying very quickly if subject to any significant recoil, particularly if slide mounted on a semi-auto. I have an Optima and it's held up well but it's on a 22/45 and subject to no noticable recoil.

The Docter version was supposed to be stronger but still not durable enough if slide mounted. Apparently they do ok if put on a frame mounted bracket.

Cholo

Staff member
I have the Tasco Optima 2000 on the most accurate gun I own, a Mark ll Competition. It's held up fine, but I havn't fired 1,000's of .22's thru it. Battery life has been very good. I don't like that I have to take the assembly off to change the battery, but it is what it is. Don't know if I'd hang it on a big bore though.

I don't own anything Burris, but I believe it can take a lickin'. An old Burris 2x scope on my friend's Contender was the clearest scope I've ever looked thru. That was over 15 years ago and don't know if Burris is still the same quality now. If so, I'd buy that red dot in a NY minute.

skip

Single-Sixer
I bought a Glock with a Burris sight ...the gun I use as a night stand gun, but can't use the sight for that purpose...I would like to sell it...I'll give you a good price....?

Dale53

Blackhawk
Due to vision problems I pretty much converted to Red Dots a couple of years ago. On revolvers with little recoil, I have used Bushnell Red Dots without any problems. I have heard that they will not hold up on the "heavy hitters" (.44 magnum and above).

However, I have several Simmons Red Dot sights (30 mm) on a number of my handguns and REALLY like them. Talking with the Simmons technicians at the NRA Convention, they told me that the Simmons worked well up to and including .44 magnums. However, he stated that they would NOT handle .454 Casull and above. That's good enough for me to just follow his suggestions.

If you are talking about recoil above the .44 magnum level, then you can hardly do better than Ultra Dot. I have had EXCELLENT results from people I respect who regularly shoot the "Heavy hitters" and they have been really pleased with the Ultra Dots.

If you need a more durable Red Dot, then the Ultra Dot would be a good choice.

Natchez has the Simmons on sale at a giveaway price. Get the 30mm and enjoy.

If you need a heavy duty Red Dot then go with the Ultra Dot (again, the 30mm has a wider field of view and it is easier to "find the hole" with the 30 mm.). The larger Red Dots (over 30mm) seem to ruin the balance (make things too top heavy to suit me.

OP, this is did NOT exactly answer your question but may prove to be helpful information.

FWIW
Dale53

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Dale53":1iwt40p2 said:
If you are talking about recoil above the .44 magnum level, then you can hardly do better than Ultra Dot. I have had EXCELLENT results from people I respect who regularly shoot the "Heavy hitters" and they have been really pleased with the Ultra Dots.

If you need a more durable Red Dot, then the Ultra Dot would be a good choice.
Dale53

I agree here...I am a solid advocate for Ultradot....their warranty (if needed) is just as good as Leupold and Dillon.

Competition shooters used to mount them on 1911 slides...it other words they can take a beating. Have one on a MKII, a super Redhawk, and a 1895G that may break me before it would ever break an Ultradot. They are very good.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I_like_pie;
In talking with the Simmons technician, he told me that, contrary to common belief, mounting a Red Dot on a 1911 slide is child's play compared to shooting them on some of the "heavy hitters". He stated that the big guns (.454 Casull and above) can generate as much as 2200 "G's" compared the the 1911 slide mounted that "only" generates about 500 "G's" and well within the capacity of the Simmons Red Dots to EASILY handle.

That was sure a surprise to me...

FWIW
Dale53

hunter58

Bearcat
Before I purchased my FastFire I contacted Burris and spoke to two technicians in regards to what I wanted to put this red dot on. I was told it was designed and would hold up to the cartridges designed for the T/C Contender. It's been on my 375 Winchester barrel for over a year and have went past the 700 round count with this sight. It's survived this long.