Vaquero .45LC or Super Blackhawk 44 Mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
First off the New Vaquero is a clone of the Colt SAA and had the same ballistic restrictions.

As stated the old Vaquero and BH is one and the same, just a different sight configuration. If you reload your own ammo, I would go with the old Vaquero in .45 Colt.

I had a pair of old RVs that I used for Cowboy Action Shooting and they served me well for many years. I ended up getting a new brace of New RVs and use them now. I sold one of the old RVs and kept one. Mine were Classics that came with two cylinders, one for .45 Colt and one for .45 ACP.

This is the Old RV:

SpecialEditionVaquaro.jpg

I also have a Accusport Bisley BH:

SBHAccusport45Lc.jpg

I have used both for woods guns.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
AzRebel said:
I adjusted my primary Vaquero to hit POA with my hunting load, and it works just fine.
quote]

I have a .45 Vaquero but it shoots so far to the left that I'd have to turn the barrel to do any good. I don't use it, and it collects dust. I try not to look at it.
sonnytoo

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Sonnytoo":2h1cco3g said:
I have a .45 Vaquero but it shoots so far to the left that I'd have to turn the barrel to do any good. I don't use it, and it collects dust. I try not to look at it.
sonnytoo

If this was my gun I would send it back to Ruger. Can't see an expensive piece of hardware sitting around doing nothing.

METerry

Bearcat
I have a .45 Vaquero that was a real problem child and I couldn't get it to shoot anything but patterns (as opposed to groups). It too shot considerably to the left (patterns generally to the left of the aiming point).

After reaming the cylinder, reaming the forcing cone to 11 degrees, and Taylor Throating, it now shoots to the point of aim with handloads and better than I can shoot it.

It's not cheap depending on whether you do it yourself or send it out but the tools are pretty expensive even if you do it yourself.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
coloradofarmboy said:
Has anyone here hunted with the pre-2005 Vaquero .45 with heavy loads, or should I just get me a new Super Blackhawk .44 mag instead?...

I own both of those revolvers, but usually carry the Vaquero .45. I do make heavy handloads for it, but my best hunting shot so far was actually with a factory Winchester Silvertip at 105 yards into the boiler room of a standing mule deer.

To be honest, I don't really enjoy shooting the .44 Blackhawk unless it's from a bench at silhouettes, so then, really, why bother? I have the 7-1/2 and 10-1/2" versions.

I truly enjoy shooting the 7-1/2" Vaquero, even with the heavy handloads.

When I get more Blackhawks, they will NOT have the squared trigger guard.