checkered grips.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I'm considering replace my grips on my sp101 and gp100(currently have rubber hogues). I'm interested in eventually putting wood on both. I have read some places of checkering cuasing skin to be worn off from recoil. Is there any truth to this? The checkering to me looks so much nicer.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Can be. It completely depends on the checkering, the gun, and you. Sometimes it's sharp, sometimes not. Sometimes the gun recoils more, sometimes not. It tends to be more of an issue with heavier calibers, but it might bother you regardless. It's a very personal thing. It might be that your enjoyment of the looks might outweigh any minor discomfort that would keep others from liking the grips. Unless you shoot a lot of heavy .357 mags out of the SP, it shouldn't be a problem. IMO, of course.

-- Sam

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I do a lot of checkering of riflrs shotguns and grips. Some of the way the checkering will ware all depends on how it was put on to begin with. If the checkering is cut properly and then treated correctly you should not have a problem. If th checkering is laser cut it will become softer quicker. Also if it is pressed checkering it does not last too long in a humid enviroment. Steve

Knuckles

Buckeye
There ain't nothing prettier to me than a nice set of fancy-wood, checkered grips on a Ruger revolver... or lever gun for that matter :wink:

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
When I was young in my formative years shooting, checkering on my Dan Wesson .357 Magnum didn't bother me much at all. However as I progressed to the .44 Magnum in Smith model 29 the checkering had to go. It would eat up your hand like running a file across the palm.
Remember the Dan .357 was nearly as big as the S&W N frame .44 Magnum that eat my hand for lunch. So it's conceivable that a small light weight .357 could behave the same way with really coarse checkering.

The nature of DA revolvers is, the recoil comes back at you, as opposed to the rolling in the hand, with SA revolvers.

So, in a GP/SP, Security Six, or other DA revolver, checkering will not be much of a comfort issue.

But, for discussions sake, in any gun that "might" be abrasive to my hand, I've peeled much more hide off using rubber Pachmayr's, than I've ever peeled off with wood, checkered grips. Super Blackhawks come to mind. :wink:

WAYNO.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
One other thimg to keep in mind. When I checker harder recoiling pistol grips I don't make the last pass with the checkering cutter. It still gives you the added grip but doesn't become as abrasive. Steve

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I had a hard time finding a good set of grips for a few of my Ruger handguns. I had a friend that did laser engraving and he did a great job on my existing wood grips:

SBHHunter45Colt.jpg

SBHAccusport45Lc.jpg

Don't know if you can find someone in your local area that can work on your grips, but if you can this is an option.