.22 WMR in a Bisley Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TexNekkid

Bearcat
In a recent thread, Flatgate states:
The Bisley Single-Sixes, IIRC, never were offered as convertibles.... I think.
That's been my understanding as well and I've assumed that Bisley Single Sixes might have slightly tighter barrels more conducive to accuracy with .22 LR than the convertible Super Single Sixes. About a month ago, however, I purchased a NM Bisley Single Six made in 1986. It had no box or papers, but came with a .22 WMR cylinder that fits and indexes well. "S S 6" (and an indecipherable marking like a cursive "l' or "j") has been scratched onto the face of the .22 WMR cylinder.

It's certainly possible a former owner scored a .22 WMR cylinder that fit somewhere like EBay; I've done that myself. It makes me wonder about the Bisley's barrel diameter, however. Do Bisley Single Sixes use the same barrels as the Supers? That seems like typical Ruger parts interchaneabilty, but then why wasn't the Bisley offered as a convertible? Or was it?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I cannot say for certain. But knowing Ruger they would of used the same barrel blanks as a standard super single six. I don't think they would of changed to a different barrel for a low production run gun.

edlmann

Blackhawk
TexNekkid":2nd0hamh said:
I purchased a NM Bisley Single Six made in 1986. It had no box or papers, but came with a .22 WMR cylinder that fits and indexes well. "S S 6" (and an indecipherable marking like a cursive "l' or "j") has been scratched onto the face of the .22 WMR cylinder.

It's certainly possible a former owner scored a .22 WMR cylinder that fit somewhere like EBay; I've done that myself. It makes me wonder about the Bisley's barrel diameter, however. Do Bisley Single Sixes use the same barrels as the Supers? That seems like typical Ruger parts interchaneabilty, but then why wasn't the Bisley offered as a convertible? Or was it?

Ruger can tell you the configuration your pistol shipped in.

All the convertible Rugers I've seen have the last 3 digits of the serial number electric-pencilled into the front of both cylinders.

If the number on your .22WMR cylinder doesn't match the serial number on both the frame and the .22LR cylinder, there's your answer.

TexNekkid

Bearcat
Thanks for the responses.

edlmann, the "S S 6" on the cylinder must be a "5 5 6," which doesn't correlate to this revolver, so they 're not an original set. That eliinates the need for a Ruger letter, which wouldn't resolve my barrel diameter question in any event. I kinda share mike7mm08's view on that; it would be pretty uncharacteristic for Ruger to produce .22 barrels in different diameters during the same time period.

Oldgoat46, I agree this revolver was a pretty nice find for me. It's been shot some by a previous owner, but the blue's not worn at all. Two days after I bought it, I had a fancy titanium and plastic knee installed so I haven't had a chance to shoot it myself yet. I'm planning a .22 day at the range in a week or so. however.

pete44ru

Hunter
Rugerguy kindly sold me a 1986 Bisley .22 several years ago, to which I promptly fitted a sleeze-bay maggie cylinder.

It shot just fine, with either.

I know to never say never with Ruger - but I've not yet come across an issue Bisley convertible, so marked on it's box.

I bought a .22WRM cylinder from a member and dropped it into my blue Bisley without a smidge of fitting. It has always shot slightly better than the .22LR cylinder, when I use the 30 gr. "Premium" .22WRM ctgs.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
The 22MAG cylinder from my 1965 SUPER SINGLE SIX fits in my 1995 BISLEY SS 4 3/4" SINGLE SIX far better than the original 22LR cylinder in that BISLEY 22. It also shoots a dangsite better. The best part is since the old 22MAG cylinder is blue and the BISLEY 22 is stainless I can tell at a glance which cylinder is in the gun and not show up at the range of the prairie rat fields with the wrong cylinder in place.
An odd thing is the really high velocity numbers of the blue 22MAG cylinder in that short BISLEY 22. On the other hand that blue cylinder in the old SSS with it's 7 1/2" barrel [ seven and one half inch is correct ..] will chronograph as high as 1700fps with some 22MAG loads and it shoots 'em like a handy dinky little rifle out to 'ell and gone.