SP101 upgrades

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a new SP101 2" hammerless 357 coming my way and would like to know the best upgrades to make it shoot and handle well. I plan on using it for conceal carry from time to time.

I'm thinking spring kit and grips.....any smithing to do?

Thanks in advance for the input! :)

Dave :wink:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
This is sort of like asking what upgrades can be done to a new framing hammer.

I've not found a reason to change anything on mine. It works great as it came from the factory. If you're into modifying and upgrading, you should get a 1911. :D

KWYJIBO":2pk5rkcy said:
This is sort of like asking what upgrades can be done to a new framing hammer.

I've not found a reason to change anything on mine. It works great as it came from the factory. If you're into modifying and upgrading, you should get a 1911. :D

Gotta 1911........several.....just want to optimize the DA trigger pull on this virgin SP101.

Dave

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
The sp 101 is usuially stiff from not being fired much. Suggest taking it to range and firing it DA with 38 specials. Surprising how this smooths and makes the trigger pull easier. This is what I did. greg :)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There is a whole lot you can do to an SP-101. As they come from the factory they are very rough and sometimes there are problems that need to be addressed. At the very least they need to be cleaned-up and checked-out, same as any other Ruger double-action. You will no doubt find the trigger pull to be very heavy, that can be worked on. The grips are numerous for the SP and personal preference will dictate here. The front sight can be changed to a light stick or night sight. The internals can be slicked-up considerably and that trigger-pull improved a lot with a spring kit. You might also consider porting and the finish. Check-out the IBOK (Iowegan book of knowledge) for the SP and GP. :D :D

...Jimbo

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Heliman":u74imsk9 said:
Gotta 1911........several.....just want to optimize the DA trigger pull on this virgin SP101.

Dave

Right. Well, you can get replacement springs from Wolff. Lightening the mainspring is a popular mod; just don't go down too far, or reliability can become an issue, due to light primer strikes. Lightening the trigger return spring is also popular.

Jimbo357 mentioned changing the finish, which reminds me of one thing I have considered doing: removing the rollmark from the left side of the barrel. I said I was considering it; I haven't gotten ambitious enough to start on it yet.

Another thing you can do is work the action as much as possilbe. Most Ruger DA guys say dry firing it--even thousands of times--will not hurt a thing, but if you don't like letting the hammer fall, just work it in single action mode and let the hammer down easy. Either way, if you keep things moving in that gun while watching TV or sitting around the campfire, it can only help.

These responses are what I need. I have never done much personally to upgrade my revolvers. This SP will be a "go slow and see how it works" project. I am not sure what mods I will do.........just glad to hear the options and opinions of the good, helpful folks here.

When I get it, I will have a better idea of where I want to go. Reliability will be first and foremost. Just want to "optimize and personalize" this gun to bring out it's potential. What good is a CW if it's not reliable??

Thanks again!!
Dave

deac45

Single-Sixer
First thing I do is a good strip down, clean and re-lube. This gets all the grit and debris from the factory out. I also check for any sharp edges or burrs where they shouldn't be inside and out. I won't decide on springs untill a few hundred rounds and lots of dry firing later.

deac45

308longdistance

Blackhawk
On a more serious side, I CC a SP101 38spl 2-1/4". Completely stock and reliable gun. I practice at 10 yards or less, if I ever have to use it, it won't be any further than that.

008-1.jpg

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Well, since you are getting the model with the spurless hammer, it's kind of irrelevant, but the other modification I have been considering is a dehorning of my hammer. It is way too sharp around the edges.

Now that I think of it, some of my earlier suggestions were misdirected, considering your particular choice of SP; you can't work it out in single-action mode. Disregard that and just pull the trigger several hundred times a night. It gives your hands something to do while you watch TV, and may even improve your shooting if you concentrate on things like proper grip, trigger finger placement, etc. I'm not talking about keeping a sight picture while you work the action, just muscle-memory type things. That way, you and the gun will both gradually improve together!

By the way, I think they recommend unloading the gun before you do this. (I even check it twice!) :wink:

OysterMan

Bearcat
I had a 10lb hammer spring and 8lb return spring put in mine shortly after I got it. The Smith also cleaned up a bit of factory leavings and some burrs as well. Much improved IMO and I've had zero issues with light strikes.

I sent mine to Alan harton and he did a bob job on the hammer and performed the best action job I've ever felt on a DA revolver. I also had him install S & W J frame adjustable sights but that was just because I like the white outline on the rear blade and a white vertical line on the front. When it got home I installed a set of Crimson Trace grips and I'm tickled pink with it. It rides on a Simply Rugged silver dollar pancake everyday.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
When I got my SP101 I tried to put the spring kit in it...I got the trigger return spring but hard as I tried I couldn't change the hammer spring. But, the hammer spring that's in it was definitely shorter than the new one so I wonder if it's been modified. I didn't like the feel of the lighter trigger spring, I kept short-stroking it so I changed it back. Lots of dry-firing has done wonders for it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Really when you get an SP or any other stainless Ruger they should include a small file and a flat stone just for the touch-up's. ...and don't forget the Scotch-Brite for the finish. I love my Rugers but they were all a little rough around the edges. :D :wink:

...Jimbo