Waiting for that OM conversion box

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cleric

Bearcat
Picked up a three-screw BH a few months ago and, since it's a little worn, I'm going to have it converted for safer carry. I called Ruger two months ago and requested a box... two months pass... no box. So, I call again yesterday, get a guy who takes the exact information again and says he'll pass it along.

Has anyone had any issue getting a box recently for conversions?

I'm afraid that if it takes three months to get a box that it'll take them six to convert the poor thing.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Cleric

Bearcat
So... not worth the conversion? I'm always very conscientious with the safety stuff (holster with hammer snap, always resting on an empty cylinder). But, my gunsmith still said it was a good idea to go for the conversion...

Please, fill me in some more. I'm just trying to do the right thing here.

And, well, blasphemy is part of the job around here :D

Cleric

Bearcat
I should add, it is an unconverted 357... born on 1969 (eleven years my senior). Some scratches on the grip frame and a scuff on the trigger guard... but in great shape otherwise. Paid $400.

Cholo

Staff member
Cleric, the beauty of guns is once they're in our hands we can do anything we want with them. I do and you should too. Sure the NM's are safer. As you know with OM's loaded the proper way, the hammer will rest on an empty chamber. Then it's as safe as a NM. The only thing after that that one has to be careful about is if you cock it for any reason but don't take the shot, you'll have to rotate the cylinder to make sure there's no cartridge under the hammer again.

2 weeks ago a friend of mine related a story of how his uncle dropped a .22 handgun and it went off striking him in the abdoman. I don't know what brand or kind of gun it was. He died a week or 2 later. I'm pretty certain it was a gun that required an empty chamber.

I like the OM Rugers as they are. If you feel it's a good idea to have it converted, go for it.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Cleric, it's entirely your call (going for the conversion). There is no argument that it is safer from several standpoints.

However, I've heard more than once, that Ruger sometimes forgets to ship your old parts back.

So, if you do decide to go for the conversion, if it were my gun, I'd take the old parts out myself and put them away. Then send in the revolver for conversion. That way, you will insure that you will have YOUR parts for that particular gun.

If you don't have your old, orginal parts, it just takes much of the collector value away from that fine single action.

Anyway, that's my $.02 worth. :D

J Miller

Blackhawk
As Craig said, "safety is between the ears". I've been shooting single action revolvers since 1974 +/- a bit and to date I've had one (1) AD/ND. One; and it was with a NEW MODEL Blackhawk.

The old style actions are not any less safe than the transfer bar actions if they are handled properly.
Lots of guys on this forum convert all their Old Models, that's their choice but I totally disagree with them.

I would and will never send an Old Model back for the conversion, never. And the one OM .357 I own that's been back for the conversion has been retro fitted with it's original 1/2 cock action.
It works just fine.
One other thing, the t/bar action is atrocious, heavy creepy trigger pull, lots of slop and all the springs in it are heavier to move around the extra weight. If you want a shooter gun then the conversion action will disappoint you big time.

One more comment. If you do have it converted DO NOT SELL THE OLD ACTION - KEEP IT WITH THE GUN FOR THE NEXT GUY. You won't live forever and you just might decided to sell it. If you don't have the original action with it you just devalued it by a BIG bunch of dollars.

Joe

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Cleric,
You might want to see if anyone has a NM that they would trade with you. That way you would have the safety factor, and someone else would have an OM to use, or for a conversion to a .44 special.

BTW, I didn't catch the "cleric" under author, in your message. Didn't mean any insult. I just hate to see an OM get converted, if it can be helped. :)
Earl.

41 nut

Bearcat
When you send the old model in be sure to remove the original parts first as well as the grips. They have been known not to return the original parts and may substitute a new pair of grips.

Cleric

Bearcat
Well, after reading through all of your wisdom, I'm thinking very seriously about holding off on sending it in. I was going off of Ruger's safety bulletin. They make it sound like the most wonderful thing and that all the original pieces come back without a hassle. Well... I don't want a hassle and do love the "classic" nature of the gun.

Cholo

Staff member
I think it's a good choice to leave it as is. You can always send it in at a later date. I have a feeling you won't :wink:

claydoctor

Bearcat
Cleric, you are the only safety mechanism that gun needs. i would leave it as is. My guess is the only reason Ruger continues to convert these guns for free is not because they think it is a great idea but because they agreed to do so as part of a legal settlement.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Ask around for a set of conversion parts from forum members, and switch them out yourself, then make up your own mind.

Most of thesthe members on this forum care no more for a set of conversion action components than they do that bag of recycleable aluminum cans out in the garage. :)

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
An Old Model is just that... an Old Model with Old Model clockwork and as such is a completely different revolver than a New Model. Nothing wrong with an Old Model in fact it has a better trigger out of the box. You can put some money and work into a New Model trigger to get it to feel right but factory delivered an Old Model's trigger is better. (my opinion)

That being said you can't safely carry six rounds in an Old Model like you can in a New Model. Personally I prefer the New Models when it comes to hunting. I like the safety features of the New Models. Many (I repeat) many times I've had an animal in range and cocked the revolver only to have to let down the hammer for one reason or another. With an old model I would have to bring it back to half cock, rotate the cylinder then ear it back again and lower it on to an empty cylinder......Way too much noise for hunting and worse, there is too much of a chance for something to go wrong, especially wearing gloves, in cold or wet weather etc.... All you need to do slip one time and it's "Bang!" In this environment the New Model out shines the Old Model hands down (IMHO) it's just a better design for hunting, far safer and efficient.

So there you have it, both are great designs and both have their place.

Bottom line, it's your revolver, do with it as you wish, nothing wrong with converting it just make sure you keep the old clock work. Or you can do as I have (and a lot of other folks here) and that's buy a few of each! :D