Plum ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Guess I was under the impression it was the Old Models that developed the plum coloring over time. Pulled my BN-34, 1977 #34-08830, out of the safe for the first time in awhile and noticed the plum loading gate and on closer inspection the frame is also plum. How late do these plum guns appear?

357NMBH035.jpg

357NMBH047.jpg

357NMBH014.jpg

c.r.

Single-Sixer
that is awfully nice.

i have some plum loading gates on new models as well, but no hint of a plum frame.

~c.r.

Chief 101

Hunter
I had a an '82 Super that plumbed. I sold it a couple of years ago and can only guess it looks real good right about now. Chief aka Maxx Load

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Okay guys, quit posting all those darned pics of plum Rugers. I can hardly afford to feed the ones that I've got, I can't afford to be having any new Rugers show up at my door...

Love that OM David!

Chance

Buckeye
This one just materialized in the safe. After checking the other new models the only sign of plum is the loading gate on a 1986 SSM shooter.

Beautiful gun David

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I do not know if this helps but I have a GP-100 purchased new in 2001 that has started to turn.

Chance

Buckeye
Sure enjoy those pics. I looked at my GP-100 but no luck, just a very nice deep blue now. Here's what Ruger had to say about the coloration, from Dougan's book:

PlumofferfromRuger.jpg

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
My 1960 Single Six isnt very plum. Its black (not pictured). My Great Westerns of the same vintage show all kinds of plum. Flatgate has mentioned GW
used the same foundry as Ruger.

GWs.jpg

VonFatman

Blackhawk
I have several S&Ws with some "plum"...

This Model 28-2 is most apparent with the cylinder and barrel pretty "plum"

Also have an early 60's Centennial with a "plum" cylinder.

I've noticed the S&W guys do not necessarily "seek out" the "plum" guns like the Ruger collectors/accumulators.

I like any functioning revolver...never got too picky as long as the finish was good and the gun did what it was designed to do!

Bob
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Chance

Buckeye
Those guns are fantastic Sack. And VonFatman that is the first plum bbl I have seen, beautiful.

Sold a NM Single Six mag cylinder to a guy here locally yesterday. His gun is a well used shooter with a bright plum loading gate and the frame beginning to turn. When I pointed it out he said he had not noticed the color before but he liked it.