NMB Cartridge Jam

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scare

Bearcat
I'm new to shooting and recently purchased a New Model Blackhawk .357. Took it out for the first time last week and shot 100 rounds--50 Blazer 357 158 GR JHP, then 50 Blazer 38 Special +P 158 GR TMJ. No problems. I cleaned the gun best I could for a newbie.

Took the gun out again yesterday and shot 50 rounds of Doubletap 38 Special +p 125 GR JHP. So far do good. When I went to load the first round of Doubletap 357 158GR JHP, the round "stuck" with about 1/8th inch protruding from the cylinder. I removed the cylinder and used an empty casing to clear any "gunk" that might have been lodged (I couldn't see anything at the indoor range--too dark)--after that the round slid in. While I was shooting the 357 rounds, I had to repeat this procedure several times--i.e., occasionally rounds wouldn't slide into the cylinder completely.

So, is just a poor cleaning job, or is there something else going on here? Being new to firearms, I want to understand all that I can about my new sport. Is it because the 38's left some residue that the longer 357 hit up against?

Thanks for you help!

Dale53

Blackhawk
Cholo is correct. A revolver should be cleaned thoroughly after shooting .38 Special ammo in a .357 Magnum BEFORE trying to load .357. There is even a possibility of damaging the gun if the chamber is badly fouled and a round is forcefully seated (it can greatly increase the pressure when fired).

There is also another possibility that may be a contributor. Revolvers should be held near vertical when removing fired cases. There are partially burned powder in most empty cases. Holding it vertically (barrel up), allows the debris to stay in the case until clear of the revolver. Double action revolvers can be put out of action from powder debris getting under the extractor star when you remove the empties barrel down. Again, hold the revolver "barrel up" when ejecting brass. This is pretty much "Revolver 101" but, apparently, many are unaware of this potential problem.

Dale53

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
scare":cy8l8pbr said:
I'm new to shooting and recently purchased a New Model Blackhawk .357. Took it out for the first time last week and shot 100 rounds--50 Blazer 357 158 GR JHP, then 50 Blazer 38 Special +P 158 GR TMJ. No problems. I cleaned the gun best I could for a newbie.

Thanks for you help!
After shooting and especially after shooting 38 specials be sure to clean the cylinder holes (chambers) and the bore thoroughly with gun cleaning solvent and a bronze brush made specifically for your caliber.
(1) Swab the barrel and chambers with the solvent and let sit for 15 minutes.
(2) Then scrub the bore and chambers with a solvent wet brush a few times until the crud is gone.
(3) Swab again with a wet patch.
(4) Use a brass jag with a clean patch to finish cleaning the bore and chambers.
(5) Use a slightly oiled patch on a jag to clean and cote the bore and chambers with a light film of oil.
(6) Use a clean dry patch on a jag to run through the bore and cylinder holes 1 time to remove any excess oil.

Clean the rest of the gun with gun cleaning solvent, soft brushes, clean patches or a rag as needed. Oil the moving parts as needed.

A revolver should be utterly dependable. :D :wink:

...Jimbo

contender

Ruger Guru
I can't believe no one actually welcomed you to the Forum!
Welcome!!!!!!
Now,,, it must have been because all the above posters were just eager to help a new guy. They have given you good info.

scare

Bearcat
TXs for the help and welcome! This is all still new and exciting. I think I get it--clean thoroughly and shoot the 357's before the 38's.

Latest posts