New Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Racklover

Bearcat
I got a NIB Redhawk last week. Went with the .45 Colt 4".

Just a couple of observations. This is not my first Ruger revolver. I have a GP 100 1/2 shroud.

When I picked it up, I did not notice the rear sight was loose for the windage. Come to find out, there was no spring for the rear sight blade. To the credit of Ruger, they have one in the mail. Next is the trigger and I have no complaints, it is very nice! In the area of grips, I do not like the looks of the Hogues but they may be functional. The factory wood is nice but I don't think they work with the HKS speedloaders.

That brings me to upgrades. After ordering the new OEM rear sight spring, I discovered the Bowen Rough Country sight and pulled out the CC. Now to find something better for the front with my old eyes. I am going to try the Ruger Alaskan Outfitter holster as it seems to be what I am looking for while backpacking.

Seems like a great gun and can't wait to get the sight issue squared away so I can put some rounds down range.

Wonder what the ratio of sales is in relation to .45 vs. .44? Seems like a lot of folks are going for the .45... It made sense to me because I have the dies and a .45 BH convertible.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
My Redhawk with regular wood grips (44mag) works fine with the HKS speedloader. All it needed was to have a little wood shaved-off where the speedloader goes. Not really any different than most other grips when using a speedloader. :D

...Jimbo

Saguaro Kid

Bearcat
I just got one not long ago too. I went to put on some wood Redhawk grips and found out I needed the wooden grip locators because the stubs on the Hogue's were .193 and the holes in the wood grip panels were .375.
My throats measure .451 so I need to address that. The chambers measured .483 which from what info I found is pretty good. The firing pin protrusion measured .053, good too.
I'd like the Bowen Rough Country sight too along with reaming the throats, Champhering the forcing cone to 11 degrees and getting the grips round butted. I hope they come out with a better selection of front sights too.
I guess the only thing I'm not happy with is the gap at the front of the yoke were it meets the frame.
As a recommendation from a fellow member here I got the Galco holster and really, really like it.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61904

Kid

Knuckles

Buckeye
I chose the .45Colt four inch... I'm gonna doll it up when ever I can get it out of lay-a-way.

I'll probably put a Tyler "T-Grip" on and shave a little off both sides of the factory wood grips... I might even try to round the back of the grip frame while I'm at it.

Racklover

Bearcat
It's a 4". Sent it back to Ruger as it was spitting something fierce and it came back refinished in the gunmetal gray.

nn

Single-Sixer
Speed loaders work with hogue grips, one must not insert the bullets too far and let gravity do the rest.

Racklover

Bearcat
With the .45 Colt, I was going to load the 250 XTP on top of some IMR 4227 for deer and for bigger stuff a 300 gr. Cast Performance with about 21 gr. of 296. Once I get the rear sight squared away, I will hit the range. My overall plinking load is 8 gr. of Unique and a 250 gr. Laser Cast bullet. Starline brass for all my loads. I am using nickle casings for the 300 grain jobs so I can tell right away what I am grabbing for.