Dissatisfied

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
CraigC":2670aehd said:
Boo frickety hoo!!! :roll:

Guess I'm not as patient as you fine folks. ;)

Thank you for that intellectually astute statement. I was waiting with bated breath for you to post your valuable contribution to the thread. Now go away....come back when you have something more meaningful to add than your fricken impatient tears. :roll:

mustang99

Single-Sixer
"The Ruger of today isn't the same company it was 30 years ago" you mean like when there was no forum for people to broadcast to other gun enthusiasts how they got a crappy gun because the sight was crooked. And then another guy says the same thing, so now eveyone with the interney posts that ALL Rugers have crooked sights? Then yup you are right, they are not the same. Back then they shipped out many more sub-par revolvers but nobody but the guy who bought it new about it. I guess back then ignorance was bliss.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
mustang99":1s4xi9g3 said:
"The Ruger of today isn't the same company it was 30 years ago" you mean like when there was no forum for people to broadcast to other gun enthusiasts how they got a crappy gun because the sight was crooked.

No, that's not what I meant. The Rugers that I owned from that time period had better triggers, better finish and didn't come equipped with off axis front sights.
And then another guy says the same thing, so now eveyone with the interney posts that ALL Rugers have crooked sights?

I don't know what "all the others guys" are saying about their "crooked sights" nor do I care except the two that I own do have "crooked sights". I don't know what an "interny" is. Some kind of hospital employee I guess.

Then yup you are right, they are not the same.

I'm glad that you agree with me.

Back then they shipped out many more sub-par revolvers but nobody but the guy who bought it new about it.

Did you get stuck with one? Tell us your horror story. Enquiring minds want to know.

I guess back then ignorance was bliss.

As it is now. You must be very happy.

mustang99

Single-Sixer
"I don't know what an "interny" is. Some kind of hospital employee I guess. "

Oh look! You were able to make fun of a mis-spelled word! How clever :roll: Actually it was interney not interny.

Just to avoid being called ignorant again ( I am very sensitive to that), I will say that I am very sorry you got 2 guns with less than perfect front sights. Have a V-8.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
C'mon kids, the adults are trying to have a discussion here. Go play outside.

No gun company is the same as it was even 10 years ago. American manufacturing has been caught up in MBA fever, quality of products doesn't matter, and "we'll make it up in volume".

After 30 years in corporate America I've come to the conclusion that once the visionary behind a company gives up the reigns, that company is doomed. The bean counters take over, any thought of quality or aesthetics goes out the window, and you're left with a bunch of people trying to make money off someone else's ideas and legacy.

Also, concerning this OM/NM conversion, turn rings, etc, it occurred to me: The OM was produced from 1955 to 1973: 18 years. The NW was introduced in '73. 1973 to 2009 is 36 years, so it has now been being produced for twice as long as the OM. That people are still complaining about the change (or even unaware of it) is a testament to, well, something.

As I said above, I do agree that they should have engineered a better fix, but they didn't. It's been like that for 36 years. It ain't changing.

I take that back: It is changing. Plastic guns are the wave of the future. Glad I've got a good stock of older guns.

-- Sam

Onty

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam, my hat off, you hit nail squarely! As for plastic guns as the wave of the future, well, no question that some MBA "wizards" will try to convince us that we should think "plastic". However, when I see not so cheap H&K with chipped magazine well area and its owner scratching his head how to fix it, I look at my ALL STEEL guns bit differently. Result; despite many new age plastic guns with all kind of gizmos, old reliable 1911 is going stronger than ever. Just look back how many companies were producing 1911 30-40 years ago, and how many now, even in Europe. Or, in other words, they could try to convince us that the plastic is the way to go, and even create a reliable and accurate guns with plastic frame, but they will get this: http://www.ccfraceframes.com/options.php .

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Onty":xqb64mc8 said:
Yosemite Sam, my hat off, you hit nail squarely! As for plastic guns as the wave of the future, well, no question that some MBA "wizards" will try to convince us that we should think "plastic". However, when I see not so cheap H&K with chipped magazine well area and its owner scratching his head how to fix it, I look at my ALL STEEL guns bit differently. Result; despite many new age plastic guns with all kind of gizmos, old reliable 1911 is going stronger than ever. Just look back how many companies were producing 1911 30-40 years ago, and how many now, even in Europe. Or, in other words, they could try to convince us that the plastic is the way to go, and even create a reliable and accurate guns with plastic frame, but they will get this: http://www.ccfraceframes.com/options.php .
Well thanks for the compliment. It's the first time I've gotten credit for my whining. ;)

I love the link you posted. I've got a G17L. If I could put a stainless frame on it... I wonder if these guys would make a stainless frame for a Sig?

The problem is, most steel guns cost near or upwards of $1K today. Sure, there are a lot of 1911 makers, but most of them are the Wilsons and Ed Browns of the world. Affordable guns for the common person (~$400-600 range) are almost all plastic. It is lighter (my 17L is a whopping 3oz lighter than my Sig P228), which makes for better carry, but I wonder about the long term viability of plastic. Having lived at 8,500 ft. in CO I've seen first hand how UV rays deteriorate polymers. It'll be interesting to see if the first Glocks start crumbling apart at 30, 40, 50 years of age. (I don't know enough about polymer science to know if this is possible or not, but it sure would be humorous...)

-- Sam

CraigC

Hawkeye
ElrodCod":1sk8r34h said:
Thank you for that intellectually astute statement. I was waiting with bated breath for you to post your valuable contribution to the thread. Now go away....come back when you have something more meaningful to add than your fricken impatient tears.
Some posts are not worthy of any more reponse than that. And many thanks to you for your condescending response, oh learn-ed one. One gets a little tired with threads that are nothing but bitching. Particularly bitching about things that cannot be changed. I'm actually a little surprised that most took this thread seriously. How's that proverb go? "Lord grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference".

I think if you're this frustrated with shooting, you might wanna take up something a little more tame like knitting. I was NOT going to dignify it with a proper response but here goes:
Why does the new model single actions have the serious drag line on the cylinders and the old models didn't?
Because that's the way they designed them. Accept it.

Why does the new model blackhawks have the wooden grips with the reddish tint? Ugly, fake wood looking.
They're bubinga, or African rosewood. If you don't like them, change them. Factory grips suck anyway.

Why can't the New Model Blackhawk .30 Caliber carbine be offered in a 6.5" barrel. I went to the added of expense of having mine done.
Seriously? Complaining about an inch longer barrel on a model that sees very little in sales. Cut it and go on about your business.

Why do all of the single actions have such atrocious trigger pulls?
All guns have atrocious trigger pulls. We live in litigious times.

Why my Stainless Bisley .45LC could barely hit a basketball at 25 yards? When my others 2" group?
Figure out why and fix it.

Why doesn't the custom shop work with you? Why do they call it a
custom shop at all?
What friggin' custom shop???

Why is the whole shooting industry slowly turning into a hill of beans one day at a time?
Speak for yourself, these ARE the good old days!

Satisified, ElrodCod??? :roll:

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
CraigC":2jfkda6v said:
ElrodCod":2jfkda6v said:
Thank you for that intellectually astute statement. I was waiting with bated breath for you to post your valuable contribution to the thread. Now go away....come back when you have something more meaningful to add than your fricken impatient tears.

Some posts are not worthy of any more reponse than that. And many thanks to you for your condescending response, oh learn-ed one. One gets a little tired with threads that are nothing but bitching. Particularly bitching about things that cannot be changed. I'm actually a little surprised that most took this thread seriously. How's that proverb go? "Lord grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference".

I think if you're this frustrated with shooting, you might wanna take up something a little more tame like knitting. I was NOT going to dignify it with a proper response but here goes:
Why does the new model single actions have the serious drag line on the cylinders and the old models didn't?
Because that's the way they designed them. Accept it.

Why does the new model blackhawks have the wooden grips with the reddish tint? Ugly, fake wood looking.
They're bubinga, or African rosewood. If you don't like them, change them. Factory grips suck anyway.

Why can't the New Model Blackhawk .30 Caliber carbine be offered in a 6.5" barrel. I went to the added of expense of having mine done.
Seriously? Complaining about an inch longer barrel on a model that sees very little in sales. Cut it and go on about your business.

Why do all of the single actions have such atrocious trigger pulls?
All guns have atrocious trigger pulls. We live in litigious times.

Why my Stainless Bisley .45LC could barely hit a basketball at 25 yards? When my others 2" group?
Figure out why and fix it.

Why doesn't the custom shop work with you? Why do they call it a
custom shop at all?
What friggin' custom shop???

Why is the whole shooting industry slowly turning into a hill of beans one day at a time?
Speak for yourself, these ARE the good old days!

Satisified, ElrodCod??? :roll:

No, not quite. If you get tired of the "bitching" threads, don't read them. I'm not "frustrated" about anything, particularly shooting. I am, however, disappointed in the overall decline in the quality of Ruger's products and I have as much right to post how I feel about it as the Ruger apologists have to post their opinions. The way you've managed the quotes may lead others to assume that they're all my words. The above quote with my handle on is accurately attributed to me. All of the rest are the words of others. You need to edit your post to make it absolutely clear who said what.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
If a peson doesn't like what a company offers, there are always custom options. Send it to a gunsmith. Like Burger King, you can have it any way you want it.

As long as you can pay for it.

Do a search online for "perfect packin' pistol", and you'll pull up a bunch of articles and threads on the subject. No one makes one that's perfect for everyone, so folks alter them to suit their needs. What's perfect for one isn't necessarily perfect for another, so get something close and change it to your needs.

The firearms companies make what will sell to the general masses. Like my dad's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

If you aren't making the rules, you don't have enough gold.

:)

Daryl

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Just a side comment - I'm a retired "bean counter" and I'll tell you all we do is present facts on cost/profit/such, its the executives that make the decisions, not the "bean counters".

BTW - If I'm not happy with the way my Ruger works, I have it modified to what I want.

Latest posts