Finally got my .44 Special...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChuckS1

Bearcat
First of all, thanks to VonFatman for pointing out the location of the 4 5/8 at Great Guns in Liberty, MO. Shane at Great Guns was very helpful in making the transfer. Same to Virginia Arms (thanks, Bernie) for handling it at my end.

Shoots great. Doesn't seem to have the canted sight issue others have had. I replaced the trigger spring with a 30 oz Wolff and it is definitely a good shooter. Seems to like 6.9 grains of Unique and a hollowpoint version of the 429421 best of all and shot that into the X ring of an NRA B-8 target at 25 yards off a rest. Couldn't get the Ideal 429348 180 grain full wadcutter to shoot well at all (no surprise there). The Lyman 429383 246 grain round nose and 4.8 grains of Bullseye gave me about 2-3" groups.

I resisted the temptation for a long time, but had to give in finally. Nice gun, but even with my small hands, I thought the grips are too small.

But then, I guess I'm pretty much telling you all what you already knew. Still, Ruger's surprised me with this one. It's a keeper.

DGNY

Bearcat
Sounds like a fine revolver. Would it be accurate to think the X ring of the "B 8" target is 1"? [An online picture says the colored bull is 5.5"]

That is some good shooting.

Regards,

Dyson

ChuckS1

Bearcat
X ring on a B-8 is 1 3/4". The 10 ring is 3 3/8". This was all off a sandbag, so I can't claim any incredible marksmanship ability this time. I'll try to get some pictures up this week.