Spinning a bronze chamber brush in cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Some guys chuck up a nylon brush to a drill and spin the inside of the chambers to get them clean. I tried that, and it was better, but I could still see buildup. I tried a bronze chamber brush with Hoppes for like 5 seconds, and it is spotless. Can the bronze brush hurt the cyliner holes?

deac45

Single-Sixer
I've been doing it for years when necessary. Bronze is softer than steel...just be careful to not let the end of the brush where the twisted wire core is exposed contact anything.

deac45

wwb

Hunter
WHAT ??? You mean there are people who DON'T clean the chambers with a bronze brush ????

I have a second pistol-length cleaning rod with a gentle "Z" bend in it... with a wobbling motion of the wrist, the brush spins in the chamber.... also works (with an adaptor) for the chambers and forcing cones in shotguns... 10 gauge brush in a 12 gauge, 16 gauge brush in a 20 gauge, 20 in a 28, and a .50 cal brush in a .410.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't feel the need to get my chambers spotless but I also don't let them get crud build-up either. I clean them after shooting with a bronze brush and solvent but have never needed to use a drill. :)

...Jimbo

Boge

Single-Sixer
The only problem is that if you use a bronze brush AND a cleaner that attacks copper you will leave trace amounts of copper in the chambers. Hold it at an angle in the light and you will see a slight coppery haze. Just run patch through the chambers with the copper cleaner and it's fine.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Boge":3rjfalq3 said:
The only problem is that if you use a bronze brush AND a cleaner that attacks copper you will leave trace amounts of copper in the chambers. Hold it at an angle in the light and you will see a slight coppery haze. Just run patch through the chambers with the copper cleaner and it's fine.

I know. after spinning the brush and getting everything spotless. I follow with a Hoppes soaked patch to get out the residue, then a dry patch.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
The Hoppes Tornado brush will clean a cylinder in a jiffy.
You will need to use the next larger size (.44 in a .38, etc.) as they are made to size for the bore.

tornadobrush-vi.jpg

Three or four strokes through each chamber and you are all done.
Only the sides of the wires contact the gun so they will not scratch anything.
I have used them for this purpose for years without any problem.
The shape of the wire loops prevents the tornado brush from doing a good job in a rifled bore as they can't get into the corners of the rifling, but they are great for chambers.

Jack