Is it me, or does bluing not look as good as it used to?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Not just with Rugers, but with any company. It seems that the blue on older guns was just nicer than on most new ones I've seen. On both my Security-Six and my Single-Six, they've both got a dark, rich blue on them that you just don't seem so see on stuff anymore. Have companies changed their bluing process? Guns just look different nowadays.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I believe this change is directly related to environmental concerns. The "old school" chemicals were "nasty" and the newer "eco-friendly" chemicals just don't produce the classic colors.

I'm sure economic factors are present.

If you're willing to pay you can still get a nice finish.

JMHO,

flatgate

Snake45

Hawkeye
The super-deep blues of old also require a lot of skilled hand labor, which is expensive these days. Hard to justify the price on a mass-produced product in a very competitive marketplace.

You can still get it if you want to pay, I believe.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's not really the bluing process that makes much difference, it's the metal prep beforehand. Bright polishes take a lot of handwork and that costs money. The trend is that the average shooter is not willing to pay for the wonderful deep blue finishes and bright polishes of old. Hell, most prefer stainless steel and are under the impression that such guns are dishwasher safe. :roll:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I agree, most bluing today looks like the results I can get with a bottle of Super Blue and some steel wool. I too believed really great blue finishes were a thing of the past. I collect older S&Ws, and you just can't get much better than an old 27-3, or something like that. Looks like you can swim in the finish. Even the new S&W "Classic" series looks more like a matte paint job than bluing.

Then I recently picked up a T/C Contender "Hunter" barrel in .223, blued. That has the single nicest finish I've seen on a modern piece of metal. Absolutely gorgeous.

-- Sam

Snake45

Hawkeye
Sonnytoo":mxrqrgzd said:
Take a look at the Royal Blue of an older Python sometime. Amazing.
Sonnytoo
I have two, and an old Smith 29, too. They're beautiful, but not as shiny or black as an old High Standard HD-Military .22 pistol I have from the '40s or '50s.