Ruger revolver in 5mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I heard a rumor that Ruger is going to make a revolver in the 5mm rimfire. I believe Remington had a rifle in this caliber a long time ago. Is there any truth to this rumor? Thanks

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Don't hold your breath.

Ruger dropped the Single Six in .32 H&R mags for...lack of sales? It's far more popular then the 5mm.

And if anyone thinks that .32 H&R ammo is hard to find, try to find a box of 5mm ammo. The .32 is reloadable, the 5mm rimfire isn't.

So, I really doubt it, but who knows what the future might bring?

Daryl

Cholo

Staff member
I doubt Ruger will enter the 5mm market. The round didn't do well back then. With the array of .22mag ammo we have now, I just don't see that much advantage in the 5mm. I don't know who's making 5mm ammo now, but I recall Winchester (I think) making a bunch of it a few years back.

I had a friend give me a Remington 5mm to sell back in '73. Told me to keep it as long as I wanted. Nice gun and I shot it a bunch, then sold it for $60 to another friend of mine from Machias Maine. I kid you not, he bought it to hunt deer and moose :shock: with! They were really poor and had to poach to eat. He said it will do a lot better than the .22lr he and his brother had been using. He said he heart shot them then the tracking began. He moved back up there and a few years later told me it worked great!

cas6969

Buckeye
cobra357":1z3jnq2t said:
Ammos no longer a problem.

For the moment. Aguila made a run of 5mm ammo a few years back... and stopped when it took forever to sell.

I love the 5mm, but I don't see it sticking around again. Especially at the prices they're asking for the ammo.

A

Anonymous

That sounds like one of the most un-Ruger things possible. We can't even get them to make a friggin .22 double action revolver! And it would be SO easy to make on the SP101 frame... :roll:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
BigBlock":nj8t5pmk said:
We can't even get them to make a friggin .22 double action revolver! And it would be SO easy to make on the SP101 frame... :roll:

Been there, done that.

KSP221-1.jpg

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
cas":14qdtcd6 said:
cobra357":14qdtcd6 said:
Ammos no longer a problem.

For the moment. Aguila made a run of 5mm ammo a few years back... and stopped when it took forever to sell.

I love the 5mm, but I don't see it sticking around again. Especially at the prices they're asking for the ammo.

The LGS has 5mm rimfire for sale under the Centurion brand. I believe this may be what you are refering to?

With the 17 HMR and 22 magnum SS's I really don't see much of a need or DEMAND for a 5mm.

A

Anonymous

weaselmeatgravy":3jbp3609 said:
Been there, done that.
Yeah, still should be doing that. What is their excuse for that mistake? You can't tell me it's lack of demand...

CraigC

Hawkeye
The 5mm is a great cartridge that is a better killer than the .17HMR but with more range than the .22Mag. I still don't think it will do much in its resurrection. Much of the talk has died down as the ammo became available but the guns didn't. The Centurion stuff is way too expensive and I think I'd much rather have a .22Hornet or possibly a sporting rifle in 5.7x28mm.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
weaselmeatgravy":2fvpuhwr said:
BigBlock":2fvpuhwr said:
We can't even get them to make a friggin .22 double action revolver! And it would be SO easy to make on the SP101 frame... :roll:

Been there, done that.

Ohhh, that hurts! That ranks high on my most wanted guns list!

BearStopper

Blackhawk
One of my gunstore haunts has had a 5mm Remington rifle for a few months but I don't recall the price on it.

Cholo

Staff member
"I reload for my 5mm Rimfire Contender." Interesting. Care to fill me in on any more details?

I guess I had the 591 because it was a bolt action.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Send a pm to my email.....I use 5mm Craig brass and dies which duplicates the rimfire brass but has a centerfire primer.
Charlie