SBH sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
I bought a Super a short time ago that was made in 1966 that shows holster wear but with very few rounds thru it. The rear sight was screwed down tight which was odd, so I checked the front site with a NM like barrel to find the OM site an 1/8" short, or low. Now that is a dramatic diference in a short barreled revolver. I havn't been out to shoot this thing yet so this may be premature but is this gonna cause me some grief when I use med-range loads as I normally do these days? Is there a history of Ruger using the short front site by error, or do I just need to go shoot this thing and find out? Chief aka Maxx Load

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'm a "heavy" bullet fan and have found that the vast majority of Ruger front sights are too low.

Of course, a different "hold" on the gun can change POI.

I think you'll just have to shoot it and find out.

flatgate

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I've noticed the front sight of the early Supers to be shorter up through the mid to late 60's. Then they became a little taller.

Chief 101

Hunter
Exactly what I was thinking JCW
I likes to shoot heavy, actually I have some slugs that weigh in at 330 that I made from an SSK mold Flatgate they definately have a tendency to make me elevate the rear sight.
St the question is if lI needs a taller front what is the accepted method of getting it there. Chief aka Maxx Load

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
I had to send my blhk back to ruger they put a taller front sight on and changed the rear sight, No charge to me for parts labor or shipping , I bought this one new .Mike.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Chief 101":1whv6rwd said:
I likes to shoot heavy, actually I have some slugs that weigh in at 330 that I made from an SSK mold Flatgate they definately have a tendency to make me elevate the rear sight.
St the question is if lI needs a taller front what is the accepted method of getting it there. Chief aka Maxx Load

Huh? Raising the rear sight raises the Point of Impact and a heavy bullet will strike much higher than a light bullet at 25 and 50 yards. If you are shooting at longer ranges then the front sight height becomes a moot point and one will begin to enter Elmer's "three gold bar" front sight zone.

Lighter/faster bullets can push that distance out a bit prior to needing to hold "more front sight" up above the rear sight's "picture".

Read Keith's writings on the topic to understand, if you please?

flatgate

Chief 101

Hunter
flatgate":2dufyc14 said:
Chief 101":2dufyc14 said:

Huh? Raising the rear sight raises the Point of Impact and a heavy bullet will strike much higher than a light bullet at 25 and 50 yards. If you are shooting at longer ranges then the front sight height becomes a moot point and one will begin to enter Elmer's "three gold bar" front sight zone.

Lighter/faster bullets can push that distance out a bit prior to needing to hold "more front sight" up above the rear sight's "picture".

Read Keith's writings on the topic to understand, if you please?

flatgate
Thanks, I knew that and I just had it backwards...been a while since I fooled around with a Super. I'll simply need to get out and do some
shooting.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I just had a taller front sight put on my OM SBH. I bought the sight from Ruger and had a local 'smith put it on for me.

flatgate

Hawkeye
BIgMuddy":11d4o20u said:
I just had a taller front sight put on my OM SBH.

I've been down that road before.. :D

52401013.jpg

357690092.jpg

12401192.jpg

Three .44 mag shooters with non-original front sights.

flatgate

Chief 101

Hunter
Those are definitely some nice looking revolvers Flatgate.
My concern was definitely premature...I was out and about today and stopped and shot about 25 rounds of different loads and can simply say this thing is a shooter extraordinaire. I've been thru a lot of Supers over the last 35 years and this one shoots as good as any of them. Oh yea, the sights are just fine. Chief aka Maxx Load
DSCN0229.jpg

Here's a pic, nothing special but it do shoot