GP 100 Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Surefire

Bearcat
How popular are the current Ruger GP 100 grips, the one with finger grooves?

I'm curious, because I HATE them. They don't fit me at all, and feel completely awkward.

I loved the original GP 100 grips with the wood inserts and NO finger grooves, it was a perfect fit.

I picked up a spare of the old style right when Ruger made the switch, but nowadays it seems impossible to find NIB old style Ruger GP 100 grips.

Was this a popular switch among GP 100 fans?

DMZ

Bearcat
Surefire":17o0xqge said:
How popular are the current Ruger GP 100 grips, the one with finger grooves?

I'm curious, because I HATE them. They don't fit me at all, and feel completely awkward.

I loved the original GP 100 grips with the wood inserts and NO finger grooves, it was a perfect fit.

I picked up a spare of the old style right when Ruger made the switch, but nowadays it seems impossible to find NIB old style Ruger GP 100 grips.

Was this a popular switch among GP 100 fans?

Not only did the old style grips look good, they worked well for many GP 100 owners. They made the GP unique and added to it's appeal.

Too bad Ruger stopped producing them, to cut cost I assume.

If I was to buy a current NIB GP I would probably go with a pair of Hogues Concalo Alves, checkered.

epj

Bearcat
You can order a new set of the old style grips from Brownells for about $23. I'd get some while supplies last. Also available on the Ruger website, but cost a lot more.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Ruger never "made" the GP grips.
THat's the problem, the company that did make them went out of business, or owner died or something.
They then switched to Hogue.

Pete

A

Anonymous

Hmmm...although ugly, the rubbers that came with my gun fit my hand like they used me as a mold. I want to get a set of the old style with the wood inserts, but I'll probably use the hogues for any real use.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I 'liked' the stock stocks on my pair, but heavy loads with bullets weighing 158g and more would tear the skin off my thumb.
I installed Pachmayr Decelerator stocks and the problem went away....

(The Pachmayr's finger grooves allow me to 'wedge' my grip high on the stock; they make my grip very tight. Good, because all shooting is done DA.)

oldgoat46

Bearcat
You can find the old style grips on eBay and on Gunbrokers. I bought mine on GB and had a set of stag inserts made for it by Peterson. the gun looks really good. sorry I can't post photos here.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I like the hogue grips even though they are not as nice looking as wood. They fit my hand nice. I've thought of getting some wood hogues but cant decide.