why stainless not blue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
flatgate":ow464vc9 said:
oldyeller":ow464vc9 said:
blued steel is how ever stronger so it is the only way i go for my 45lc

I'll counter your statement with the fact that Freedom Arms, on their "warmed over .45 Colt revolvers", exclusively use a stainless steel alloy that supplies the strength to contain pressures as high as 60,000 C.U.P.

Now, for me, I like stainless and I like blued. :D

flatgate

I had seen article claiming that rifle barrels from stainless last in average about 30% longer standard alloy ones. Apparently, that's one of reasons why many of benchrest and varmint rifles are stainless, or custom built have stainless barrels.

ClemBert

Bearcat
I prefer blondes but since many are high maintenance I like stainless for firearms to balance things out.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I just prefer the look of a blued, CCH and blue, or a nickel gun to stainless. As far as up keep both are the same to me. Just because SS is more rust resistant than a all carbon gun it still needs cleaned and oiled to stay in good working order. If one is truly looking for a gun that can stand a little neglect then a well applied hard chrome finish is hard to beat. Just one thing to remember if a magnet will stick to it it can rust. I guess because I have worked with tool steels for the last 37 yrs. I have learned that SS is not a first choice for wear surfaces as SS to SS let alone with a little dirt and grime between them.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I like both,,...or should I say all..
Theres somthing classy about a blued revolver..
Police Six 4in. is SS (nice)
Security Six 2.75 is blued (classic)
Black Hawk 50th. 357 blued (only way they came)
P-97 has a SS slide ( durable)
Ole passed down through the family Security Six Blued (whats left) priceless
Thats all my Rugers
If you keep a gun clean they most likey not rust .if you carry they become scratched..blue wears..
My hair fell out and I have developed wrinkles
AGE.... time passes ,.....wear happens

CraigC

Hawkeye
mohavesam":3v0400dd said:
...alloy pot metal (10/22)....
Ruger does NOT use pot metal. Big friggin' difference between pot metal and high strength aluminum alloys.

BigBlock":3v0400dd said:
A gun is a tool, stainless is the best material to make that particular tool out of....Let's face it, blueing is an antiquated, outdated process.....
Some folks shop for a firearm with no more consideration or emotion than they would for a wrench or pair of pliers. I pity them because they are overlooking one of the few pure joys in life. Others, like myself, shop for a firearm more like they would a wife. Firstly, I must "feel" (yes, men have feelings too!) attracted to it. I must be able to appreciate its beauty, even if no one else does. Secondly, it must make me wanna do "something" with it. Thirdly, it must fill a need or role, real or perceived. Me, I like short women with juicy butts, pale skin, dark hair and a sweet disposition. Likewise, I like my guns to be made of blued and/or color case hardened steel, real wood, ivory or stag. There is no reasoning behind either preference, that's just the way it is.

Antiquated? So what! 99% of the firearms that keep me up at night are considered by most archaic but what difference does that make? None.

wolfsong

Staff member
How about blued titanium? Overkill? Looks? Really, who cares? Not to be facetious or condescending, but who cares? I mean REALLY cares? Load gun, aim gun, pull trigger, gun goes bang, bullet leaves gun, target hit, clean gun, have a beer. Speaking of beer, aluminum or glass? Who really cares? As long as it's cold... :wink: 8) :D

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

Rclark

Hunter
Blued ....

Stainless looks, well, 'unfinished' :) . Blinding in the sun too.... Never saw the 'point' of shining them up so bright. When is the last time you saw an armed forces person wear chrome or shoot chrome/bright guns? Guns are meant to not 'stand out' IMO. That's for tin horns :lol: .... Just kidding ... sort of :D . Bead blasted to a flat finish? ... much better.

Now, honest wear on a blued gun however, looks good. Working guns ... nothing quite like 'em. I don't go out of my way to 'wear' them down of course... it just happens. Keep 'em clean and use them.

Knuckles

Buckeye
BigBlock":3b1emuyk said:
A gun is a tool, stainless is the best material to make that particular tool out of....Let's face it, blueing is an antiquated, outdated process.....
Some folks shop for a firearm with no more consideration or emotion than they would for a wrench or pair of pliers. I pity them because they are overlooking one of the few pure joys in life. Others, like myself, shop for a firearm more like they would a wife. Firstly, I must "feel" (yes, men have feelings too!) attracted to it. I must be able to appreciate its beauty, even if no one else does. Secondly, it must make me wanna do "something" with it. Thirdly, it must fill a need or role, real or perceived. Me, I like short women with juicy butts, pale skin, dark hair and a sweet disposition. Likewise, I like my guns to be made of blued and/or color case hardened steel, real wood, ivory or stag. There is no reasoning behind either preference, that's just the way it is.

Antiquated? So what! 99% of the firearms that keep me up at night are considered by most archaic but what difference does that make? None.[/quote]

You made me blush there for a minuet... and I'm a man. :oops:

I think we like the same guns & gals.
:lol:

Knuckles

Buckeye
wolfsong":1c2ux9y3 said:
How about blued titanium? Overkill? Looks? Really, who cares? Not to be facetious or condescending, but who cares? I mean REALLY cares? Load gun, aim gun, pull trigger, gun goes bang, bullet leaves gun, target hit, clean gun, have a beer. Speaking of beer, aluminum or glass? Who really cares? As long as it's cold... :wink: 8) :D

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you're good!

REP1954

Blackhawk
Even thou SS isnt my first choice I dont dislike it I have had SS guns in the past I just dont warm up to it like 4140 guns. I have often wondered what a Blackhawk built with the materials used to assemble S&W's Airlite guns would be like. Might just be a backers best friend.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
cb6.jpg

Now how more 'classic' can you get !

LTB45

Bearcat
ClemBert":1c3gpvtd said:
I prefer blondes but since many are high maintenance I like stainless for firearms to balance things out.

I think that SS would be considered the blonde color for guns and the blued would be the brunette color.....IMHO...LOL!!

Good thing I have never been overly picky about hair color or gun finishes.
Some guns look great blued, most of mine are, except for 1 nickle in my stable. However my GP 100 is SS and she is SO PRETTY!!!

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
382.jpg

I like my old Police Six ...bright and shiny

Shes smooth outside and inside ..action job slick...

victank1

Bearcat
While getting into my Ford, not chevrolet (because Ford has not used any Stimulus money) I finished off my Coors Light (because Anhiezer Bush has been sold to a German Firm) in the bottle, not can, Checking out all the Butts, Big or small and all in between ( because I am a man and we owe it to ourselves to do that when the wife is not with us) I enter my favorite gun shop and purchase a nice SP 101 revolver in Stainless not blue because I'm going to use it a lot not just put it in my safe to look pretty and to show. Then I purchase a box of Federal shells for it because they supply our Army with rounds to kill them Rag Headed SOB's.. I guess what I am trying to say is we make our own choices and both types have their place. It's for you to decide and yes I probably am one of them folks who just don't like cleaning guns all the time, but have both blued and stainless because they both have a place in my arsenal.