Ruger info wanted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Ruger357--1.jpg

Ruger357--2.jpg

Ruger357--3.jpg

Ruger357--4.jpg

Old Model 357 Blackhawk Flattop. It appears to have an XR3 grip frame that someone stripped the anodizing off of. It was made in 1961 based on this.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PS-SNH-RE-Bhawk357.html

I really don't know anything else. If it is a '61, then it shouldn't have an XR3 grip frame but an XR3-RED grip frame.

flatgate

Hawkeye
pvtschultz":2pzi60g2 said:
If it is a '61, then it shouldn't have an XR3 grip frame but an XR3-RED grip frame.

The XR-3 was the standard grip frame until June/July of 1962 when the XR3-RED became the norm.

The gun appears to be a relatively common 6-1/2", 8 groove .357 Flattop.
It appears to need a new grip screw in front of the trigger guard, unless that's a screw on the verge of falling out.... :)

Still, it's a cool ol' Ruger!

flatgate

DGW1949

Hunter
OK, I give.
Looks like the ferell is missing from the right panel, and I aint sure that is a screw that I see in the hole. Don't see one in the big eagle neither. So....What's holding the grips on?

BTW..... Nice old shooter you got there.

DGW

wildturk

Single-Sixer
flatgate":2as6xp23 said:
pvtschultz":2as6xp23 said:
If it is a '61, then it shouldn't have an XR3 grip frame but an XR3-RED grip frame.

The XR-3 was the standard grip frame until June/July of 1962 when the XR3-RED became the norm.

The gun appears to be a relatively common 6-1/2", 8 groove .357 Flattop.
It appears to need a new grip screw in front of the trigger guard, unless that's a screw on the verge of falling out.... :)

Still, it's a cool ol' Ruger!

flatgate
flatgate, 8 groove, by the serial number?

whwsr3

Bearcat
As far as I know, the sight insert is original. And -- there was a screw loose on the grip. Actually, they were all loose. I just didn't look it over very well before I shot the pictures. Thanks again for your comments.

Bill W.

Dobetown

Bearcat
I was curious, my 4/58 5 digit has the same red insert. It wasn't milled square so I wasn't sure it was factory. Mine isn't as clean as yours, more of a well used using gun.

flatgate

Hawkeye
No way would the red insert have been installed by Ruger.

"flatgate, 8 groove, by the serial number?"

Sure, RENE's Ruger Reference has the data!!!!

flatgate