Ruger Single Six 32 w/fixed sights question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Juniper

Bearcat
I have generally used adjustable sights for all my handgun shooting. I like aiming right at the intended target. Now that Ruger has discontinued the Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R Mag caliber, and when I noticed a used .32 SS with fixed sights available at a local shop I have re-considered my adjustable sight only opinion. Any information from owners/users on the point of aim with fixed sights would be appreciated; I know Ruger may adjust before leaving factory, but it seems that having the sights adjusted correctly for all potential users would be very difficult. I do like the Bearcat like look of this revolver with casehardened receiver and blued barrel. The one I looked at is very used with corner chipped off grip, lock up feels good and a good cleaning may do wonders, price is just under $250 which caught my attention. Thanks for your replies.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
mine didnt hit anywhere near point of aim when i got it (horizontally or vertically), with any type of ammo i used (light cowboy action loads to hot federal "classic" loads). i sent it back to the factory for adjustment and they claimed to have "broken" it, and sent me a .32 sp101 as a replacement. the sp101 didnt hit POA either, but it is windage adjustable, so im in business now.

all of that being said ... i loved the looks and feel of the gun. i still look at them on gunbroker and contemplate springing for another one ...

Del J

Single-Sixer
I shoot several fixed sight Rugers. Point of aim with these are mostly trial and error with load development. My wife shoots a pair .32 Single Six fixed sights in CAS, both are close at 15 yds but not dead on. Both shoot low about 1-1/2". After finding a load that groups well a adjustment can be made to front sight. I have not touched the front sights for when I used these, one is dead on and the other slightly to the left. Which could be how one grips the revolver. Taking in the consideration of the size targets being used this accuracy acceptable to me. For dead on accurcay adjustable sights would be the right tool for the job. A .32 Ruger SS is neat and fun gun to shoot.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I own a Ruger SP101 and it didn't shoot anywhere NEAR to point of aim with ANY load. Since it is only windage adjustable, it didn't hit close enough to point of aim to be useful in any meaningful measure.

I had a local PistolSmith install a Weaver base and I put a Red Dot Sight on it. Now, it is VERY useful but certainly not as a pocket pistol.

It has a 4" barrel and with the Red Dot it makes an excellent holster revolver for small game. It is strong and I reload my own ammo and cast my own bullets. I can go from mild to wild whichever I please.

I am NOW happy with my revolver but would NEVER recommend this combination for general use do to the aiming point issues.

Dale53

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I have a few fixed sight revolvers, all of them single action.

I have a Single Six in .32 H&R mag, too. It shot to center, but a bit low. I touched the front site with a file a bit, until it shot to center with my loads at 25 yards.

I have a few fixed sight guns, and I do what's necessary to make them shoot to POA. I've filed sights, and turned one barrel to make it happen, but so far I've always got them to shoot to POA one way or another.

They're a bit more work to "sight in", but once they're there for a load, they stay there.

I strongly recommend experimenting with loads before you worry about where it hits. Find a load that shoots well from your revolver, and then adjust the revolver to that load.

Daryl

Juniper, that is a very GOOD price, I'd buy it, and yes, as for sending them back if they tried to "turn out" the barrel, or vice-versa. it could easily "have broken".....they can and will 'crack' the frame up near the barrel , if NOT done properly, OR if the barrel got "crossed threaded" when they built the gun, "stuff happens Forrest...." :roll:

oldgoat46

Bearcat
That is a good price and a great little gun. I have one and as has been said it is not a target pistol but it sure looks cool with stag grips and case coloring. Go for it.