holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ae-35

Bearcat
I'm ask'n here, hope I'm not bothering you guys, I just traded for a Blackhawk 6.5 in 357, a year old, I know the guy who owned it he bought it new 13 months ago_Ok guy, a little different but hey, theres all types, traded a Mosin M38 even for it. I liked the deal. Now for my question, I'm look'n for a crossdraw , thumb-break holster for it, anyone know who makes one? Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
There are MANY excellent leather makers who build crossdraw holsters. If you are economy minded,,, and want good quality,,, I'd check out the Hunter brand of holsters. Plain Jane,, but good quality. The prices go up from there for more brands & custom work. Triple-K, Kilpatrick Leather,,, El Paso, etc,,, just to name a few.

Ae-35

Bearcat
thanks, having a hard time finding a crossdraw with a thumb-brake, lot with a strap, but for the 6.5 in. blackhawk , I must be looking in the wrong places. You'er close to Chimney Rock aren't you? Used to ride over there with my wife on the back of my bike, nice ride over black mtn.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
You might want to check with Mernickle holsters and see if they could set you up with an FC3 with thumb break for a single action. Or it might be time to look into making your own holster :)

You might also be able to find a Bianchi Cyclone that would work close enough. I had one for a Redhawk that would have probably worked for a single action.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,,, I'm very close to Chimney Rock.
BTW; The thumb break holsters are a bit harder to find. I may have given you some brands that don't offer a thumb break. It may have to be a custom.

Something like this.

BlackhawkHolsterRig.jpg

Levergun Leather Works

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_holster_rigs.htm

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I think you would like a safety strap rather than a thumb break... Try one out in a store first before you buy...
Thumb breaks are a pain in the real world.. A nice gun like your deserves a classic carry rig like a tom Three persons (Lawrence)..

lawrence1201.jpg

not that i'm prejudiced or anything. I own several thumb break holsters..... someplace... If I can find them I just might Karma them....

ciao....

reuben...

Ae-35

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone !!!! I didn't expect so much help!! Reuben you gave me something to think about!! got to decide between your suggestion and Pakrat57's like them both. Need a crossdraw ,when ckeck'n my fence's . A bear when flying by me last week after a deer, made me think about my 1911 in a high-rid'n OWB not really easy to get to on a ATV. Don't get me wrong that 45 is great for two-legged "problems" but I'd rather have this new "to me" 357 with these new lever-gun rounds in it. Wouldn't you guys? Reuben, any idea what shipping would run to lower 48? Say northeast TN.?

batmann

Single-Sixer
reuben_j_cogburn said:
I think you would like a safety strap rather than a thumb break... Try one out in a store first before you buy...
Thumb breaks are a pain in the real world.. A nice gun like your deserves a classic carry rig like a tom Three persons (Lawrence)..

I agree 100%. A thumb break can be a real pain, especilly with a SA. Get a strap, like the one shown, it simply works better.

Ae-35

Bearcat
I really like the one reuben posted, checked out their web site, will wait till next month to order, oil truck just left, $ 748 for 300 gal. Kind of hurt my expendable income for this month. Had to get it before it goes up this fall. i only used 200gal last winter, cost $ 4.08 a gal. last Sept. That hurt!Lot of bears down this summer, usually a sign of a mild winter here.

TexNekkid

Bearcat
All the advice in this thread is good and, with one exception, I've generally settled on safety strap Threepersons style holsters for field carry. That exception is the Bianchi Cyclone two posters recommended, which works extremely well for my 6.5" barreled Blackhawks. It protects more gun and given me none of the problems typically associated with thumb break holsters.

Last time I looked at it, Bianchi's website didn't list the Cyclone for Blackhawks and it may no longer be available new. If you run into a used one somewhere, however, jump on it. Finding favorite holsters is even harder than finding the "perfect packing pistol." It's easy to end up with a box full of "almosts."