Not happy with this SBH transaction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stoots

Buckeye
375_H&H_Mag":1j3604bm said:
This is very true. Agreed. This particular seller told me personally that he has been shooting and handling Rugers since age nine, and he is in his late 40's now. He told me that he saw no signs of rebluing on the gun and that his other SBH (listed at same time as mine and sold about same time) looked the same as bluing goes. Additionally, he has probably seen many, many guns. His take was that the gun was not reblued.

<<< To this sellers credit, HE OFFERED ME A FULL REFUND if I was not satisfied. However, he showed me some pictures of a couple other ruger SBH revolvers with nearly identical roll stamp imperfections (these were mainly other guns that werent his own on gunbroker with closeup photos), and a couple of forum members here stated that they seen rugers with same flaws. HE STILL OFFERED ME A REFUND IF I WAS NOT SATISFIED, and that was much appreciatated. I really do believe this gun is original after further observation, and data collected from forum members and pictures. I AM KEEPING THE REVOLVER. It locks up very tight, the bore is impeccable, furniture is exceptional, and as said earlier, I now believe it is original finish. >>>

One poster said if a SBH revolver HAD BEEN reblued, the circumferential area on the recoil shield around the firing pin (approx. 0.125 inch) would be blued. It is not on this gun. There is an obvious nonblued area all the way around. Not sure why this is. Any takers?

I did not mean to come over as an ass about this, it is just prevalent for things such as that to happen, and I thought it happened to me. I stand corrected (As far as I can tell) from the info I have received, and the gentleman was very concerned about my satisfaction, which is the attribute of highest desire IMHO.

So your gunsmith, who has been custom building guns and gunsmithing for over 35 years and is a retired History professor and has an impeccably trained eye regarding firearms was wrong?

:wink:

Glad it worked out. Post some pics when you can!

:D

Chief 101

Hunter
375-
I have a high-polish Super from 1966 that could be a twin to yours in the polished out rollmark department. On the left side of the frame the 44 is almost not there, the Ruger is almost gone. On the barrel all is good except for the top of the circle around the eagle logo is missing more than a 1/8" due to polishing.
I know this one is not a re-blue. If I can figure out how to get a pic I'll post it for you. Chief aka Maxx Load

willieboy

Bearcat
Not that this matters a whole lot but I have a late 1970's vintage Standard Ruger .22 pistol. I bought 2 of them new in the box around 1980. One I used the first day I bought it and over the years it shows a lot of wear. One has never had a round fired through it. I recently took it to a gun show and was told by a couple of dealers that it was an obvious reblue. Some of the rolled stamping was deeper in some areas than others also. I know that is not the case but I didn't argue with them. I have an older blue finished Blackhawk in .357 that is all original and the cylinder is a different color shade than the frame by a bunch.

In 2000, I bought a new Ruger KP90DC. The last digit of the serial number was so faint, I did not see it at first. But it can be seen with magnification. I called Ruger to see if they would restamp it and they said it wasn't necessary :roll:

From my experience, it can be tough to tell original from reworked Rugers

sumoj275

Bearcat
Communication is always helpful. I am glad the seller offered to make it right, and it sounds like you are getting one good shooter out of it. +1 on pics.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Glad it worked out. I have also seen many washed out -light- or one side light other side deeper rollmarks. Sounds like you got a nice one. Now that you are sure its original just enjoy it. I had a friend sell me a .32 magnum single six sight unseen for a nice price. The frame was all peeled and looked bad when I got it. I was so dissapointed I vowed to sell it right away. After looking at it and realizing it had a smooth action and the rest of the gun was nicely blued I just swapped out the gripframe with another spare that fit it perfectly and now I have a nice 90 percent gun I can enjoy. Bill made these babies to shoot and enjoy thats how I treat all of mine. I keep em nice, but Ill let someone else worry about unturned cylinders and correct boxes.

375_H&amp;H_Mag

Bearcat
mountain_cowboy":btye7dv3 said:
Why would you even begin posting about it here without simply talking to the seller first?

If you look at the original beginning post, it ended with a question, which was the entire point of me posting. I admit, too, that I was venting and jumped the gun a little. I did not mention the seller's name here and I did not give any information of his identity. I did not try to slander this individual or such. Additionally, I removed any links that I posted identifying him. I don't think this post, whether done before of after me speaking with him, had any malignancy. I probably should have waited to post afterward, though I would have posted regardless. I wanted to see what some "Ruger savvy" folks could tell me. Nothing against this gentlemen. I wanted a GROUP opinion on the issue. In all respect, Sir.

Latest posts