Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lsmith103

Bearcat
New to forum so hello to all. I was a Bullseye competition shooter with semi-auto's for a number of years and also own a couple of large frame revolvers. I recently became interested is acquiring a short barreled, medium frame .38. In perusing the online auctions I two that struck my fancy were the Speed Six and the Security Six. I hesitated on making a bid as the prices were a bit more than I wanted to pay. Friday, with nothing to do, I decided visit my local gun dealer and browse. While chatting with him I began looking at the revolvers in his case and noticed a nice looking short barreled revolver and asked him if I could have a closer look. Lo and behold it was a Speed Six .357 blued with a 2.75" barrel. It showed a bit of holster wear and very minor pitting in 2 places. He told me he had taken it in trade the evening before from a sheriff's deputy. Looking closer I could see that it hadn't had very many rounds fired. At that point I had to ask the price and when he said $239.95 my wallet jumped out of pocket. Needless to say it came home with me. Saturday morning I decided to give it a try and set up a standard Bullseye target, at what I later measured to be 30'. I wasn't expecting greaat accuracy from such a short barrel. My first shot was single action. Wnen I went to check my target I found part of the X in the 10 ring gone. I went back and finished the rest of the cylinder double action and all were in the 8-9 rings. I reloaded and fired double action again and except one low in the 7 ring all were the 8-9. I think at this point it's a keeper.
Les

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Heck I even know where Seguin is as I managed a few trips in that area back in the late 70's.
yes, you have found out just how good many of our "little" Rugers are,,, and the price you paid is very good. I'll just add a word of caution,,, those things have a way of causing Rugeritis,,,,! They tend to multiply when your wife isn't looking!

Hugh

Buckeye
Good revolver. My short "Six" is a Ruger Police Service Six 3". I'm still in the market for a 2-3/4". You made a good buy.

woodsltc

Bearcat
Admittedly, I'm partial to S&W's ........ but one of my favorite revolvers is a 2.75" Speed-Six that I bought last year (after a long search). IMO the Speed-Six is one of the best defense guns made. Mine was also a lot more accurate than I imagined. It is now my truck gun, 'cause I trust it and it is accurate and rugged.

Congrats on your purchase.

Don

raveneap

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum. You'll find the Speed Six to be an excellent gun and built like a tank. I carried one as a duty weapon when in plain clothes and loved it. Same one, 2 3/4" bbl .357.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
...and then I had the short-bbl Speed-Six, almost like new, and sold it at a gunshow. I couldn't get that gun to print for nothing. Now the buyer's happy and so am I. Someday, I'm gonna find me a 3" Smith 657 I can afford...had one at a show, and walked around one more time and it was gone. $450 for a delicious .657 in .41Mag Oh, I hurt.
Sonnytoo

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
The Speed Six is just a sweetheart of a gun. If it has the stock grips, you might consider a Tyler T-grip adapter as a low-cost upgrade that fills the gap behind the triggerguard some. Other than that gap, the stock grips are wonderful.

Latest posts