I know where NOT to buy my next gun.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I've had different experiences at different places. I've bought 3 guns at Bass Pro, and two of them ended up being the display pieces. But, I checked them thoroughly, made sure there were no (apparent) issues, then negotiated a discount for buying the display model.

At Dick's, whenever I look at something there and decide to buy, only once have I ended up with the display model. Every other time they've gone to the back and brought out a new box.

At Walmart, what they have is what's on display. Only once have I gotten a new, unfondled gun there. Still, I check them over well and have never had a problem.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
That's why I like my dealer. His shop is 80 miles one way from my house. When I decide what I want I call him and tell him he gets on the computer and orders it then and on handguns they are shipped overnight by ups and I am sitting there when they are delivered usually the next day if ordered before 3:00. He opens the box while I fill out the form. He doesn't even unwrap my pistols. I am the first person outside of the ruger factory to handle my pistol. I may be a nut but usually before I put a bullet in the gun I take it completely apart and clean each piece individually and put wilson combat grease on the parts that contact and move. I then go shooting and after about 100 rounds I disassemble them again and do trigger work on them. From then on about every 500 rounds they are cleaned and lubed again. I enjoy my guns and keep them in excelent condition. I love gun's and enjoy shooting them but I also enjoy taking care of them. I know plenty of others that have fine guns and dont care about them at all they seem to be afraid of a oil rag and abuse their guns and never clean them. I guess they don't know how or just don't care. I have guns that I have used for 15 years that are hard to tell from new guns on the store racks. To me a gun is a treasure. I take the same care of my worst gun I do of my best.

firescout

Bearcat
BigBlock":bfpzaouf said:
...it was a GP100... ...I got to watch him take it out of the sealed package. Still had a drag line all around the cylinder though...

Don't you know that Ruger scribes that line on at the factory before assembling the gun?

leejack

Single-Sixer
Sportsmans went under here in San Antonio, but:

A couple of years ago, one of the salesman there, showed me a Blackhawk that had a sizable nick in it. He acted as if he didn't notice it. I called it to his attention and asked; what size of discount are you offering on this gun due to the nick?

He said, nothing, that nick really won't hurt anything. :lol:

Ask me if I bought it??? Noooooooo!

Pal Val

Buckeye
Another satisfied customer here... of a "real" gun dealer. This is, an individual who owns a small shop and guns are his livelihood. He handles his wares with care and expertise, knows exactly what he sells, and if you ask him a question, you get an answer that works for you.

How do you know you're dealing with one? Look around the shop. If he also sells basketballs, golf shoes, gym shorts and speedos, all made in China, you're in the wrong place. On the contrary, if you smell Hoppe's #9, you need not look any further.

Don't let these fellows get pushed out of business by the big stores. It would be a real loss.

Rclark

Hunter
Now, I hardly get to smell Hoppes #9 at all ... my wife told me to start cleaning the guns 'out side' instead of the basement :( . Now the breeze takes the nice smell away :roll: :lol: . Ahhh, well.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
mattsbox,
you need to come to Ohio my man. Buckeye Outdoor generally has several of each offering in the back. Also, they are very accomodating to repeat customers who want a break on a display model. But, you have to beware as they will call you and tell you when a shipment arrives of your preferred brand or chambering arrives! :lol:

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
I've only purchased one gun from a big box. it was a S&W 629 Classic that was on sale at Cabela's and I had been lookin for one. I knew what I wanted and what I was looking for/at,so it was a good deal. Generally, don't expect much from the big box shelf stockers. I personally know a guy that was laid off from West Marine, that knew nothng about firearms. The next time I saw him he was behind the counter at Sportsman's Warehouse. I bought powder and primers there because the price was right, but no guns at all.. I was always scared off by the way they displayed them, and I always wondered how often one hit the floor.