.357 Vaquero accuracy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

leejack

Single-Sixer
What kind of accuracy (POA) are you guys getting from the .357 Vaqueros?

I'm talking short range, say, 7 to 15 yards, using a variety of loads (mostly 38 special) for target practice.

I've never had to adjust the rear sight on my Blackhawks more that 1 click. Could I expect similar accuracy out of the box from the Vaquero.

I know that I'm doing allot of homework here but I just do not want to be disappointed if I purchase one. The gorgeous looks of the Vaquero, just drives me crazy! :D

Thanks,

Lee

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
A lot depends upon the shooter. How you hold the gun makes a whole world of difference and there are guide charts that will tell you what mistake you are making.

Some Vaquero come with the front sight a bit off and people have sent their guns back to Ruger to have this corrected.

I recall one man who asked me to try his 7.5" 44 Mag Vaquero; said he was all over the place with it. I shot point of aim dead center at 25 yards. All 6 shots went into the 9 and 10 ring. I then asked if he wanted to sell it to me. He walked off grumbling to himself.

Rampant Colt

Bearcat
Mine is nothing but accurate and 100% reliable..

Probably have to experiment with different bullet weights to check for POI

Del J

Single-Sixer
Lee
My pair of .357's Vaquero's does better with 158 gr. bullets than lighter ones, I also used 38 special cases which matched my rifle. The .357 case having to bullet closer to the forcing cone may help alot. The 158 gr. are dead on at 15 yds the lighters 130 or 125 are about 2 1/2" low. Both have 4-5/8 barrels and are my CAS guns. "Don't" look too hard you will catch the Vaquero bug.

Hokie73

Bearcat
surveyor47":1urbv78g said:
A lot depends upon the shooter. How you hold the gun makes a whole world of difference and there are guide charts that will tell you what mistake you are making.
Some Vaquero come with the front sight a bit off and people have sent their guns back to Ruger to have this corrected.
I recall one man who asked me to try his 7.5" 44 Mag Vaquero; said he was all over the place with it. I shot point of aim dead center at 25 yards. All 6 shots went into the 9 and 10 ring. I then asked if he wanted to sell it to me. He walked off grumbling to himself.
That pretty much sums up my experiences with all of my many Rugers. Vaqueros and Blackhawks have been equally accurate. I have had to bend the front blade slightly on one of my Vaqueros to get it to shoot exactly to point of aim at 25 yards with my chosen load, but I don't blame Ruger for that, my eyes may be that much crooked.
Accuracy with all of them has been very good. At five yards, with not too much coffee, I would hope to have 4 out of 5 rounds touching, at least. On balance, I would say my 44s have been a hair more accurate than my 357s, but the most accurate long range has been my old 357 Blackhawk.

The owner's manual I have for the new vaquero says the fixed sights are set for 15 yards, (45 feet) and at that range mine shoots very consistent groups in both 38 and 357.

A

Anonymous

My Ruger Vaquero in 357 mag was shooting quite low out of the box. No big deal, I just milled .033" off the top of the front sight. Using a rest I am now about .4" low and .2" left with 158 grain cast RNFP bullets at 25 yards.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I recut the forcing cone for lead and tested fired it with jackets to see if it hurt it . Group was about the same as stock .

Picture722.jpg