My first pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tss106

Single-Sixer
I've always been a Ruger rifle guy but never got into the pistols (of any make)...., until now. Bought my first one today from a co-worker - it's a New Model Single Six stainless with walnut grips, serial number range 66-3XXXX. The .22 cylinder has some small nicks (says he dropped the cylinder once while removing it), the .22 mag cylinder looks unused. It's got a 6-1/2" barrel. Overall good looking condition, few light handling marks here and there, walnut grips look a little faded, nothing serious. Figured for 2 bills, couldn't go wrong for a plinker!

I have no box or manual, just the extra cylinder in a red cloth pouch. Reckon I'll download the owner's manual, learn how to take it apart, and give it a real good cleanup. Anything in particular maintenance-wise that I need to be aware of? Anyone have any good ideas/tips on how to remove small nicks from the stainless cylinder?

singlesix4.jpg

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
maintenance is real easy ... probably the easiest to clean gun that i own. cylinder pops out and thats all the breakdown you need. then run a bronze brush w/ hoppe's no. 9 through the chambers and barrel a couple of times. dry patch. maybe a breakfree patch. wipe off face of cylinder and inside of frame. done.

mine does tend to collect some leading from cheap .22 ammo at the barrel/cylinder gap. i just scrape it off.

tss106

Single-Sixer
rugerguy":36h9f66h said:
The stainless finish is very easy to clean up, repolish and remove any and all nicks and scratches out

Any tips/advice on the best way to do this....., Flitz, emory cloth, some other method??? Thanks!

Chance

Buckeye
Good find on a neat gun. My KNR6 is the only stainless single action gun in the safe and it gets shot a lot. Enjoy it.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
winterwood":1y09q0bp said:
WOW 8) $200.00. Where am I when these sales come up? Enjoy one of the most fun shooters.

Aint it the truth. For sure not gonna find one in my area for that kind of price :)

tss106 you got a nice first one. Like has been said, they tend to be addictive.

flatgate

Hawkeye
264767830.jpg

I've had this one over 20 years. It's my "go to" .22 LR. It's terminated more Rockchucks than I can count!

The grips were recently added via my Vermont Connection!

:D

flatgate

tss106

Single-Sixer
Man, that was downright rude of me....., telling y'all about my new (to me) pistol without showing any pics! I took it apart this 'morn per the manual that I downloaded from the Ruger site (easy), gave it a good cleaning, and put it all back together. I added a picture to my original post.

Spike12

Bearcat
LIght nicks can be polished out with 00 or 000 steel wool.

You can try different ScotishBright Pads too. They come in different course levels.

The good thing is you repair just about any goofs because there no dedicated/applied finish to screw up like a bluing.

I would shoot it for a while before trying to make it look too pretty. You may find that those original nicks will disappear when blended into your own.

I have the same gun, but blued. Only issue that the .22 ammo is so dirty that you have to make sure you de-lead the cylinder or the rounds soon won't seat down far enough in it and bind up the cylinder on rotation.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
In my opinion you have bought the best pistol made. The reason behind my statement is that you can afford to shoot it a lot with a small cost and shoot it every day. I take mine out 2to3 times a week and shoot it as much as I want for very little cost. I have many other pistols but the little 22 is the one I shoot most by far. I have 1 pistol that every time I pull the trigger it cost me $2.50 thats a 500 s&w a box of 20 runs $50.00. The only problem is you have gotten into something that is addictive pistol shooting is a lot of fun and you never have enough pistols ask me I have 17 and want several more now. The ruger will last through several generations with proper care. In my jeep I have a crown royal bag full of 22 bullets when it gets low I dump another 550 in it and it gets low pretty regular I have a single six and a mkIII ruger I shot the mk III a lot then when I got the single six I hardly ever take the other one out anymore. I have the 4 5/8" blued version it is a awesome little pistol I like the shorter bbl's and have every cal. that ruger makes in the 4 5/8" and the others in whatever they are offered in in the blackhawk line and super blackhawk. Ruger in my opinion makes the best revolvers on the market today. Shoot it for a while and get used to shooting a handgun then get someone to do a trigger job on it you will be impressed with the pistol.