First time at the range with the Ruger LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jtheise4

Bearcat
Just got back from the range. It was the first time I shot my three day old Ruger LCR. I put 100 rounds of wad cutters down range. I have to say, this gun is amazing! The recoil, while not non-existent, is not terrible. The trigger is very smooth and extremely easy to find the break point (almost like shooting single action). The sight radius is terrific. I was able to keep a 2.5" group at 35'. I shot a S&W 642 a week or so ago and I can honestly say, the Ruger beats it hands down in every aspect (and I'm a die hard S&W guy).

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
My Smith 640 takes up much of my limited range time right now. I am presently busy filing down my newly-installed higher, taller front sight to POA. I am mostly concerned with 7 yds. I still am about 1 1/2" low on the target with any .38+P or .357 load. It looks like I have to file off an additional 0.020" in order to get it right. Using a standing two-handed hold and leaning my left shoulder against the side of the shooting station for stability, I am shooting one-holers. GOLD DOT shoots these nice groups; other manufacturers (Rem) loads are not as tight. I am using this (standing) stance to try to simulate any likely action scenario where I might need to get involved. When I sit down at a bench rest, I cannot tilt my head enough to use the bottom of my trifocals to focus as necessary.
My 442 Airweight also shoots one-holers at this short but useful distance and I think most short-barrel revolvers will if you can hold it steady enough throughout the firing sequence.
I don't have an LCR yet but I am not ruling it out. I won't sell my Smiths though.
Sonnytoo

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
jtheise4":3a7ytf94 said:
Just got back from the range. It was the first time I shot my three day old Ruger LCR. I put 100 rounds of wad cutters down range.

I did the same and was dispointed with the amount of lead build-up. I shot a DEWC in mine and the lead was really hard to clean out. I am switching to a jacketed bullet. These wadcutters I used were commercial bullets so I don't know the hardness of them. I have shot these bullets in all my other .38's with no problems.

Don't understand it?

welder

Buckeye
Rafsob Ive got a BH in .45 that leaded up real bad. I fired the same lead wadcutters in another gun with the same round and it was fine?? They were bought commercially too, when I first started reloading. I switched to Rainer copper plated because of all the work in cleaning and never looked back. I don't understand it either. The little bit of copper I still get is much easier to remove too.

GilaMonster

Bearcat
Rafsob":282fjb21 said:
was dispointed with the amount of lead build-up. I shot a DEWC in mine and the lead was really hard to clean out.

where did you see this build-up of lead? In the area of the forcing cone? in the cambers? in the barrel?

I have not noticed anything different with my LCR, than with my Security Six, shooting the same DEWC ammo from MasterCast in both...

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
GilaMonster":1r9ptu94 said:
Rafsob":1r9ptu94 said:
was dispointed with the amount of lead build-up. I shot a DEWC in mine and the lead was really hard to clean out.

where did you see this build-up of lead? In the area of the forcing cone? in the cambers? in the barrel?

I have not noticed anything different with my LCR, than with my Security Six, shooting the same DEWC ammo from MasterCast in both...

Inside the barrel. It runs down the length from about a half inch in to about midway and stops. Nothing from midway to the end of the barrel.

Hey Welder, thanks. So far I have got myself about four hundred jacketed bullets and will reload them for practise. I carry the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr commercial loads.

DMZ

Bearcat
I put about 40 Speer 148 gr BBWC through my LCR and did not see any indication of leading, (I looked hard). They were my own loads using Win 231 and were fairly mild.

I did fire a couple dozen .38 Spl Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense rounds after the BBWC's.

BTW, that Hornady ammo gave me the best group ever with my LCR.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
DMZ":37x1nu3r said:
I did fire a couple dozen .38 Spl Hornady 110 gr Critical Defense rounds after the BBWC's.

I picked up a box of the Hornaday ammo also. I got it for my trips through The People's Republic of NJ. I am a retired LEO and still must make sure I don't have HPs in my gun. The Hornaday fills the bill on that one.

I have to wait to shoot it for now in my LCR, but will try in on Wednesday at the range.

DMZ

Bearcat
Rafsob":12kz24hd said:
DMZ":12kz24hd said:

I picked up a box of the Hornaday ammo also. I got it for my trips through The People's Republic of NJ. I am a retired LEO and still must make sure I don't have HPs in my gun. The Hornaday fills the bill on that one.

I have to wait to shoot it for now in my LCR, but will try in on Wednesday at the range.

The other thing I really liked about that ammo was the felt recoil, which was negligible. It was very easy to make a quick follow-up shot and stay right on target. It was as though that stuff was made just for the LCR, or at least for airweight snubs.

NMCB3

Bearcat
Rafsob":1pa39oom said:
jtheise4":1pa39oom said:
Just got back from the range. It was the first time I shot my three day old Ruger LCR. I put 100 rounds of wad cutters down range.

I did the same and was dispointed with the amount of lead build-up. I shot a DEWC in mine and the lead was really hard to clean out. I am switching to a jacketed bullet. These wadcutters I used were commercial bullets so I don't know the hardness of them. I have shot these bullets in all my other .38's with no problems.

Don't understand it?
I shoot Laser Cast 158gr RNFP lead...no problems.

GilaMonster

Bearcat
Rafsob":1a5cgu9k said:
I am a retired LEO and still must make sure I don't have HPs in my gun.

I assume that "HPs" means 'hollow points'?

What is the restriction on hollow points and LEOs? Or is that just NJ LEOs. Or retired LEOs?

Not being a smart ass... my b.i.l. is a retired AZ DPS (Highway Patrol) and AFAIK, he carries hollow point ammo.

I just had never heard what you mentioned, and don't understand the reasoning.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
GilaMonster":22hltrnp said:
Rafsob":22hltrnp said:

What is the restriction on hollow points and LEOs? Or is that just NJ LEOs. Or retired LEOs?

Not being a smart ass... my b.i.l. is a retired AZ DPS (Highway Patrol) and AFAIK, he carries hollow point ammo.

Sorry, this is what happens when you assume. First off active and retired LEOs have a federal law that permits them to carry nationally. However, only active duty NJ LEOs can carry HP ammo.

There is a law prohibiting HP ammo. As stupid as this sounds, you know that the bean counter idiots get to write the laws with little to no experience on the subject matter.

To my knowledge, NJ is the only state with this prohibition.

NMCB3

Bearcat
Rafsob":1btnpuyg said:
GilaMonster":1btnpuyg said:
Rafsob":1btnpuyg said:

Sorry, this is what happens when you assume. First off active and retired LEOs have a federal law that permits them to carry nationally. However, only active duty NJ LEOs can carry HP ammo.

There is a law prohibiting HP ammo. As stupid as this sounds, you know that the bean counter idiots get to write the laws with little to no experience on the subject matter.

To my knowledge, NJ is the only state with this prohibition.
Why do LEO`s get special treatment over that of your average joe? It doesnt sound like equal protection under the law to me, sounds like just another politically protected class just like welfare recipients. Not that your personally responsible or anything...I`m just pointing out the injustice of it.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
NMCB3":3oezmcb9 said:
Why do LEO`s get special treatment over that of your average joe? It doesnt sound like equal protection under the law to me, sounds like just another politically protected class just like welfare recipients. Not that your personally responsible or anything...I`m just pointing out the injustice of it.

All I know is that a federal law was passed so that trained LEOs could cross state lines and carry. I do know that the Senate tried to pass a similar law giving reciprocity to all CCPs between states.

It didn't pass, but give it time. It took many years to pass the national carry for LEOs. We had to start somewhere.