Need help with an OM SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ltbarber

Bearcat
Walked into a gun shop,and in the used gun case was an OM SBH. It was in prisitine condition. I gave $450 for it. When I got home,I cleaned it stem to stern. I then began to tighten up all the screws,as each one was loose. When I tried to tighten one of the screws behind the trigger guard,it was already broken off,and fell out!!!! My dream gun for years!!!! Until I get it to the gunsmith to have it repaired,is it safe to shoot a few out of it?? The bore looks unused to me,is there any way of telling if this has been reblued? It serializes to 1970!!! Can't wait to have it back to 100 percent.

I would say as long as the TG is tight, no wiggle, there is no problem shooting it. Maybe the recoil will back the broken screw up and let you have something to grab to remove without a 'smith? Just make sure the cyl latch works properly and the hammer engages the sear securely. Cycle the action, dry fire and if it functions properly I would shoot it. Maybe not for thousands of rounds, but enough to get the new gun bug satisfied.
Rebluing will usually cause the sharper edges to be rounded,and the stamped letters on the frame and barrel to be 'softer' from the polishing / buffing wheel.

contender

Ruger Guru
Just as jimbo1096 stated, if there isn't any problems dryfiring it, go shoot it some. Then, using the manuel, (you can get one free from Ruger,) or a good gunsmithing book, disassemble the gun to where you can remove the gripframe. If there is enough material on the broken off piece, try & turn it bu hand first. If so, remove it. If there is material to hold onto, but it doesn't move, liquid wrench, or Kroil placed all around the broken shaft and allowed to soak in will help when you do decide to try & remove it. (At least 1 day between soaking & attempted removal.) If all that fails, then a trip to the gunsmith is in order.

flatgate

Hawkeye
168871231.jpg

Reblued

168871214.jpg

Original Finish

flatgate