357 BLACKHAWK FLAT TOP WHAT IS IT WORTH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpickar

Blackhawk
What is a beater 357 4 5/8" barrel flat top worth. I would say the bluing is 85% but the grip frame is junk. Someone really messed with it. It has been converted to a transfer bar system.

How hard is it to come by a brass blackhawk frame? How much would that cost?
What would it cost to convert it back to original hammer ?

Thanks, John

contender

Ruger Guru
Shooter grade Flattops that have not had the conversion can still bring $450-$500 sometimes. (Sometimes less.) The parts to convert one back will cost about $150, so deduct that from the price. So, I'd say $250-$300 POSSIBILY if it was correct in all the other parts. (Correct grips, rear sights, ejector rod & housing, etc.)
Now, the price can go up if it's a rarer version such as the "Ross" variation.
As for brass gripframes,, well, about $250-$300 for just the Ruger brass,,,, and add $30-$50 for a set of grips.
You mentioned the grip frame is "junk." If it's just very worn & gray looking,,, that's NOT uncommon. If it's been used as a hammer, to put staples in a fence,,, then that's different.

flatgate

Hawkeye
jpickar":1ueamcf4 said:
What is the Ross variation?

John

Ruger Collector Bill Ross discovered a batch of .357's in the 146XX to 154XX serial number range that exhibit the features of guns in the 1 to 73XX range.
Most of Ruger's early models exhibit "running production changes" as the designs were improved during the first year or two of production. The "Ross Guns" were most likely the result of a serial numbering error, i.e. at s/n 46XX the blank number in front of the s/n was mistakingly rolled over to the "1" position, resulting in s/n 146XX. At s/n 154XX the error was discovered and rectified, and serial numbering continued at 46XX.

So, any odd group of guns will be recognized as Collectible by we dedicated Collectors. :D

88336637.jpg

My humble example, picked up from collector Fred Fisher quite some time ago.

flatgate

Bottom line is when you "see" the front sight that looks like this.....

bkh34frontsight-1.jpg

on one of them 14 or 15,000 serial number range guns, a little light should go "on" in your head and all else comes to a 'stop' .......... :roll:

street

Hunter
rugerguy":3v83v39w said:
Bottom line is when you "see" the front sight that looks like this.....

bkh34frontsight-1.jpg

on one of them 14 or 15,000 serial number range guns, a little light should go "on" in your head and all else comes to a 'stop' .......... :roll:

Dan!!!!!

You said a mouth full there. I agree 100%. :D :D :D :D

tyler4656

Blackhawk
Well is see alot about the early Flat Tops on here . I just bought one yesterday. Its my first Flat Top and I want to know all I can about it. Well its prob 95 % plus condition. No flaws, scratches or blue wear. It has a 4/5/8 bbl with hard rubber grips and the SN# is 6316. Hope I did good what would be a fair price for this old Ruger. Thanks
untitled2.jpg
[/img]

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
If it's original and 95%...then you have a winner.
I haven't checked RENE (the bluebook of Rugers, available from one of our esteemed forum members). However, I would say $800 and guess it could easily run more. Someone here will likely step in with a more-informed number.
Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo":16e7qhl5 said:
If it's original and 95%...then you have a winner.
I haven't checked RENE (the bluebook of Rugers, available from one of our esteemed forum members). However, I would say $800 and guess it could easily run more. Someone here will likely step in with a more-informed number.
Sonnytoo
hit the nail right on the head...more if a lower number, and MORE yet, if its boxed to boot.....AND if you are really lucky and it has the original, cardboard shipping wrap.......wow HOMERUN........ :roll:

Latest posts