Ruger .357 Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Morgoth

Bearcat
I just got a great deal on a .357 max...always wanted one. Someone commented that these are popular for high end custom gunsmiths. What about this caliber lends itself well to such conversions?

It's not the caliber . . . it's the frame.

The "stretched" frame of the Maximum lends itself to use with proprietary cartridges of the "bottleneck" variety and even longer-than-normal straight-wall cases.

:D

Axehandle

Buckeye
That long cylinder makes room for the 1.6 inch case magnums like the 414 Super Mag, 445 Super Mag, 475L Maximum and 500L Maximum. Beware of speaking of making such things out of cherry examples of the 357 max...... There specimens out there that have a few miles on them that you won't get tarred and feathered quite as quick for modifying.... :D

Coogs

Maximum
I won't tar and feather someone for doing that!!! :shock: :shock: Unless it was a rare bird......or consecutive to one of mine!! Cutting them up just drives up the $$ and makes them even more rare!!! Even though I do shed a tear every time I hear of such an act. :( :( :( :( A great piece of Ruger history...........and one heck of a shooter. Morgoth, ya gotta post apic or two......what barrel length did you get? Enjoy it. Coogs.

A

Anonymous

Need to look at Gary Reeder Custom Guns, he has some great conversions for the Maximum Frame.

Mike

dakota1911

Buckeye
Gunsmiths look for starting material to make a living, and it is usually not blocks of solid steel.

Axehandle

Buckeye
The one and only max at my house today has been converted to 445, which is a 1.6 inch case 44 cal, by John Gallagher... He changed it to Bisley configuration too... Oversize basepin, trigger & action job, Bowen rear sight..... It is still a six shot gun so the original 357 max cylinder is rechambered....

006-19.jpg