Ruger GP100: Your thoughts please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fallujah

Bearcat
Someone is insistently offering to sell me a Stainless Ruger GP100 in mint condition. Im already tempted to buy it. However before I decide, irregardless of the price, I would appreciate knowing everyone's objective and unbiased thoughts on this particular gun, particularly:

1. Accuracy
2. Handling
3. Resistance to rust
4. Weight
5. Suitability for speedloaders and rapid reloading
6. possible concealed carry
7. durability
8. Sights
9. Suitability for home defense

Thank you. :)

Leadeye

Bearcat
I've got one and like it.

1. As accurate as any .357 Smith I have.
2. The 6' feels solid in my hand but barrel heavy like a 6" Python.
3. Never had a rust problem, but I do clean it.
4. Nothing light about it.
5. I don't have speed loaders for it so can't comment, no problem loading.
6. Too big and heavy for easy concealment, maybe a shoulder holster.
7. Very tough.
8. Good sights, not as good as the big Smiths which are my favorite.
9. .357 mag will go throug 2X4 and drywall construction easily, something to consider.

Hope this helps. :D

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I had a 4" gp100. It was very accurate. Heavy gun. It is cool that you can take it apart...which I did. But, there is really no reason to take it apart unless something needs to be fixed, in which case you'll need a gunsmith anyways. I have two problems with the gp100. One is asthetic. While better functionally, the big one piece grip just doesn't have the classic look to it. To me there is something "cool" about the two piece grips, especially wood. Also because of the way the third lock at the yoke is designed the ejector assembly feels really cheap. The ejector rod that connects to the ejector star is like a cheap piece of alluminum tube with a lot of wobble when fully extended. Granted while shooting the parts I call cheap don't matter, but when extracting spent cases it was possible on my gun to have one case get behind the ejecting star. I like a gun with a solid ejecting rod with very little play. I would much rather have a ruger security six than a gp100. I actually sold my gp100 and kept my taurus 608.

DGV

Bearcat
My Ruger GP100 is the most accurate 357 I own. HKS and Safariland speedloaders work. The same as S&W 586, 686. Durability? Hey, it's a Ruger. My gun is a 4" and is still somewhat concealable. Heavy, but it works. If you have a problem, send it to Ruger and they will stand behin it 100%.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
pistolpete":cpbcoq7l said:
I had a 4" gp100. It was very accurate. Heavy gun. It is cool that you can take it apart...which I did. But, there is really no reason to take it apart unless something needs to be fixed, in which case you'll need a gunsmith anyways. I have two problems with the gp100. One is asthetic. While better functionally, the big one piece grip just doesn't have the classic look to it. To me there is something "cool" about the two piece grips, especially wood. Also because of the way the third lock at the yoke is designed the ejector assembly feels really cheap. The ejector rod that connects to the ejector star is like a cheap piece of alluminum tube with a lot of wobble when fully extended. Granted while shooting the parts I call cheap don't matter, but when extracting spent cases it was possible on my gun to have one case get behind the ejecting star. I like a gun with a solid ejecting rod with very little play. I would much rather have a ruger security six than a gp100. I actually sold my gp100 and kept my taurus 608.

On "other" Revolvers the ejector rod is heavier because it is the actual pivot and support for the cylinder. On a GP the ejector rod is just that, it just ejects the empty brass, while the cylinder is attached to the crane assy and is locked into place at 3 different points. It is a strong design.

dave

Bearcat
I own my 141 for about 10 years (and 25 k) and it does his job without noticeable wear.
I mounted a smaller grip for cc and shall have to renew my faded mepros.
Thats all. It is my favorite gun.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Leadeye":2iobxjmj said:
I've got one and like it.

1. As accurate as any .357 Smith I have.
2. The 6' feels solid in my hand but barrel heavy like a 6" Python.
3. Never had a rust problem, but I do clean it.
4. Nothing light about it.
5. I don't have speed loaders for it so can't comment, no problem loading.
6. Too big and heavy for easy concealment, maybe a shoulder holster.
7. Very tough.
8. Good sights, not as good as the big Smiths which are my favorite.
9. .357 mag will go throug 2X4 and drywall construction easily, something to consider.

Hope this helps. :D

#9- load it with .38s for the house.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
On "other" Revolvers the ejector rod is heavier because it is the actual pivot and support for the cylinder. On a GP the ejector rod is just that, it just ejects the empty brass, while the cylinder is attached to the crane assy and is locked into place at 3 different points. It is a strong design.

No, doubt it's stronger, and I don't disagree with what you said about why it's designed the way it is. I just don't like it. :) I agree that it is a stronger design that either a taurus or a smith. My taurus revolver doesn't have the lockup with the ejector rod.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
1. Accuracy- Excellent. Equal to any S&W 586, 686, 65 or 19 that I have handled.
2. Handling- Good for a general purpose handgun. Feels better to me than a S&W with Houge Monogrips.
3. Resistance to rust- Excellent. Equal or better than any S&W I have ever owned.
4. Weight- The gun is a bit heavy, but not much better than a S&W.
5. Suitability for speedloaders and rapid reloading- I prefer Bianichi Spped Strips for my revolvers. Not a problem.
6. possible concealed carry. The 4" & 6" are too big in the Southern US heat. The 3" GP100 is on the very upper end in size for concealed carry, thanks to smaller grips.
7. durability- Will outlast a comparible S&W 586 or 686. Never heard of one going out of time.
8. Sights- Excellent.
9. Suitability for home defense- Excellent with 3" or 4" barrel. Ruger will probably be willing to backfit a spurless hammer the 3", making it double action only, which is preferable on a self defense gun.

All in all, the GP100 is excellent in every way. The S&W 586/686 and the GP100 give the other stiff competitioon.

For concealed carry, an SP101 DAO is the way to go. If you are a new shooter, a 3" SP101 357 is a gun you will not outgrow. Small enough to conceal, big enough for range training and practice. In fact, it makes a fantastic trail gun.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Great revolver. Much is made about Ruger's being heavier than Smith's but if you compare the L frame to the GP frame, not enough difference to worry about. Speed loaders and many holsters will fit both so finding things to go with it are available.
As to accuracy, again, not much difference as much depends on the shooter. Inherent accuracy as opposed to practical accuracy is equal.
The GP offers some advantages over the Smith, such as ease of maintainence and, IMHO, a better lock up system. Bottom line, you won't be dissapointed with one.

BrokNAirow

Bearcat
+1 gp100 and 38spl.....good homedefense gun....357's are over penatration and go thru more than 2x4 and drywall,paneling....will punch holes in cinderblock.....and 2x6 boards at 50yds...don't ask how i know..
can't say enough about ruger gp100........i'm brok :mrgreen:

bronco45

Single-Sixer
GP has many great attributes already listed but two things that make them nice for customization is:

1. Front sight is easily removable and replacable; and rear also compared to Smith. Night sights easy to install.

2. Grips can easily be smaller due to grip frame lug. Concealed carry not bad if used with proper holster belt combo.

A

Anonymous

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you want a .357, a GP100 is the BEST tool for the job. The only draw back that I find is the weight, but then again, the weight is what makes it so pleasant to shoot. People like to fight about the design/trigger/weight as compared to other brands, but in simple terms I believe the GP100 is the best platform you can buy for launching .357 sized hunks of lead.

The fact that many ammo manufacturers use GP100s to test their ammo really says a lot.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
fallujah":2ykeld2v said:
Someone is insistently offering to sell me a Stainless Ruger GP100 in mint condition. Im already tempted to buy it. However before I decide, irregardless of the price, I would appreciate knowing everyone's objective and unbiased thoughts on this particular gun, particularly:
What barrel length are you considering? How big are you (bears on how well you could conceal it on your person).
1. Accuracy
More accurate than most humans can hold.
2. Handling
Some folks don't like the way the cylinder latch opens (Most other DA revolvers push forward and Colts pull back). Rugers are the only ones that push in (that I know of). Otherwise pretty much identical to any DA revolver. Trigger pull may be slightly different than others, and nobody makes a revolver with a faster lock time than Dan Wesson. The Rugers are also easily tuned up, but I have never felt the need.
3. Resistance to rust
All steels can rust. Stainless is resistant, but tends to pit when it does corrode. Carbon steel rusts on the surface. Rugers have been made in stainless for a long time and all mine have proven to be just fine as long as I pay at least a minimum of attention to cleanliness.
4. Weight
The GP is considerably heavier and bulkier than my Security Six. But also stronger and more pleasant to shoot. If I were to carry it all day in a holster, I would choose the Six. In a nightstand drawer, the GP.
5. Suitability for speedloaders and rapid reloading
Non-issue. It is as convenient and fast as any other DA revolver with a swing-out cylinder.
6. possible concealed carry
A bit large for me. But then I have a choice of SP101, Security Six 2.75" barrel, Colt Officer's Model 45 ACP, Taurus PT145. I would pick my 4" GP only after those others. (I don't have any experience with a GP under 4" long)
7. durability
None better except the Redhawk 357 (now out of production)
8. Sights
Decent. For accurate work, I prefer the gold bead/v-notch combination.
9. Suitability for home defense
A 12 or 16 gauge shotgun would be FAR superior, but with the right ammunition, the GP will be just fine. Remember, a firearm is the LAST item of home defense. You are in your home. You have a thousand other defense items you can keep. Such as, your network of neighbors. Your exterior landscaping. House alarms. Locks. A good dog. The list goes on.

Do let us know how large a gun you can conceal (or if off-body carry will be your choice, as in fanny pack or purse) and what the barrel length is.

Also, what do you mean by "insistently". Is the potential seller being evangelistic (not unknown among Ruger owners, but not usually to the point of giving one up)? altruistic? pushing an agenda? desperate to move the gun?

How well do you know the seller? Get a receipt, no matter how well you know the seller and with a photocopy (or at least copy down the number) of an ID card or drivers license. It is no more than prudent.

mattsbox99

Hunter
There are a lot of good responses here. I have two GPs, and a Security six. I like the GP better, the SS is a very small grip with the factory wood, with the large Hogue rubber it is very easy to shoot. I compete with my GPs in USPSA competition, and I use Safariland Comp III speedloaders. Its very quick with them.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
In my opinion the 4" SS GP-100 is the best all-round 357mag revolver, at reasonable cost, that you can find today. It excels at holster carry as well as home defense. ...and it is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. Because of the grip stud it is easy to get a grip that suits your hand perfectly. It is also a good platform for custom work. If I could have only one gun ...well you know. :D

...Jimbo

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Jimbo357mag":1anx7h2l said:
In my opinion the 4" SS GP-100 is the best all-round 357mag revolver, at reasonable cost, that you can find today. It excels at holster carry as well as home defense. ...and it is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. Because of the grip stud it is easy to get a grip that suits your hand perfectly. It is also a good platform for custom work. If I could have only one gun ...well you know. :D

...Jimbo

Perfectly stated.

Spike12

Bearcat
1. Accuracy - It will hit bad guys all day. Not good for squirel
2. Handling - Personal choice
3. Resistance to rust - SS -obvious, Blued - same as any other
4. Weight - Yup, got some.
5. Suitability for speedloaders and rapid reloading - Very popular gun, so acc are plentiful
6. possible concealed carry - you can try to hide anything, but if you're a dwarf; might be a problem
7. durability - it will last longer than you will and usually a Smug & Wishin
8. Sights - Personal choice. but the front sight is interchangeable with many others. IE: the red insert from a Redhawk.