Ruger GP100: Your thoughts please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MTPlainsman

Bearcat
The GP-100 is the best all around .357 I've come across. It fits my small hands nicely, is accurate, and where else can you find a revolver that you can do your own trigger job on?

fallujah

Bearcat
Lost Sheep":a978pjtz said:
Do let us know how large a gun you can conceal (or if off-body carry will be your choice, as in fanny pack or purse) and what the barrel length is.

It's 4 in. and I plan to carry it mostly in a bag, but with an option for IWB, occasionally.

Also, what do you mean by "insistently". Is the potential seller being evangelistic (not unknown among Ruger owners, but not usually to the point of giving one up)? altruistic? pushing an agenda? desperate to move the gun?

Sort of rushing. We're thinking of either a sale or a swap. SO there's some degree of excitement :)

How well do you know the seller? Get a receipt, no matter how well you know the seller and with a photocopy (or at least copy down the number) of an ID card or drivers license. It is no more than prudent.

Oh i dont think this is necessary. She's a fine friend of mine. :)

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Spike12":l1cnerrs said:
1. Accuracy - It will hit bad guys all day. Not good for squirel

I had worked up some target loads for a 4" GP100 using some 110gr JHCs and H110. I wanted to have all the flash and recoil of heavy loads for practice, but wanted it to be cheap. I wound up with a great little critter getter... :wink:

fallujah

Bearcat
No there's another guy offering a SW 586 357 brandnew and unused. Between that and the GP100, which would you get?

frogger

Bearcat
1. Mine is a track driver (I have the 4" version).
2. Fantastic.
3. I've never had any issue with rust, but I do keep my clean and oiled.
4. It's heavy, but that makes the felt recoil lower.
5. There are plenty of speed loaders out there for it.
6. Bigger and heavier than I'd carry, but it could be done with a good belt and holster.
7. You won't wear one out in 3 life times.
8. Pretty good. I painted the front blade on mine orange for higher visibility.
9. Other than the lack of capacity you will find with any revolver, it would be very good for home defense.

My GP100 is one of most favorite guns and one of the very last I'd ever part with. Get it. You'll love it.

A

Anonymous

fallujah":393eex28 said:
No there's another guy offering a SW 586 357 brandnew and unused. Between that and the GP100, which would you get?
The GP100 thouroughly kicks the ass of anything S&W has ever tried to make.

When I bought my GP100 for $500, I also looked at the $800 Smith equivalent. They're so similar I asked the guy behind the counter, "why is this one worth $300 more?". The man was clearly a S&W snob but he could not give me an answer...

richimo42

Bearcat
I have had several S&W snobs ask who did the excellent trigger job on my out of the box 4" GP100. When I tell them that it is factory original, they always tell me the best factory original trigger was the S&W Mod. 10 S&P. Oddly none of them carry one.

A

Anonymous

i had a 4inch and sold it to a friend--regret that --i feel like a IDIOT [hittman?] .never carried it but fun to shoot and a great house gun

wolfsong

Staff member
Well, there's not much that I can add that hasn't already sung the praises of the GP100. But, for an encore, I can say that, out of all of my various makes and models of hand guns, the three GPs I own - 3 in. blued, 4 in. SS, 6 in. blued - are my favorite guns. My "go-to" gun for comfort, reliability, accuracy and sentimental reasons is my well worn, half lug, ugly ol' 6 incher.

It is my favorite side arm when bear hunting, hog hunting, deer hunting, coyote hunting, bird hunting, hiking, camping, plinking and target shooting. Even over some high end 1911s, and we all know how enjoyable 1911s are to shoot.

I've taken a good amount of varmints with my trusty old beater; the best shot was a ground squirrel at just under 50 yards on a two dollar bet. Head shot, off hand, after driving a quad for two hours and some many miles. Still have the spent casing and the 2 one dollar bills from that shot. Lots of practice and a bit of luck enabled me to make that shot, but I believe that it was the gun itself that was the overriding factor. And that's because that 6 inch long barrel with the half lug balances so well, especially for such a heavy framed piece. Almost seems weightless when brought to bear.

From where I'm sitting, there is no doubt in my mind that you should buy this gun. There is no down side to owning one, unless the cost of ammo is an issue, because you're going to want to shoot it, and shoot it some more. Hey, it's a Ruger, and it's one of the best products Ruger has ever made. No Ruger collection is complete without it including at least one GP100 in one configuration or another.

Does it really matter whether or not you can comfortably conceal and carry it? You can always pick up an SP101 in .357 if that is the caliber you want to carry.

Go with the GP100 for Ruger durability, for Ruger accuracy, for Ruger reliability, for Ruger tradition and, most importantly, for Ruger pride. You won't be sorry. I guarantee it.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

victank1

Bearcat
The GP 100 is probably not the best carry gun, but it is the best gun for the range as far as dependability, accuracy and will stand up to a monkey with a ball pien hammer and a pound of black powder. I own and shoot Rugers but carry a small Kel-tec 380 for car, church and other places like resturants and quik shops. The best carry gun is the one you will carry. If it weighs more than 20 ounces, it is not something you will pick and tote on a regular basis. The GPs', S&Ws', even the big Taurus' are great outdoors but too bulky in you britches.

MikeP92563

Bearcat
I have the 6" in Satinless..

Accuracy = excellent at 15-20 yds
Handling = it's big and heavy but fun!
Resistance to Rust = I'm in SoCal so no problem for me
Weight= (see handling)
Speedloading = I'm not that coordinated but it would seem ok
Concealed Carry = No
Durability = A Tank
Sights = Very Good
Home Defense = I hope I never have to but it's ready with Rem Golden Saber JHP's if needed

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Some of my friends own GP100s. I have never owned one, but would like to someday. I think in stainless with a 3" or 4" barrel (the 3" only if you are OK with fixed sights), one of these would be ideal for the guy who can only have one gun. There are lots of smaller and lighter guns, more accurate guns, more powerful guns, etc. But the GP100 is as versatile as you can get--a good choice for all kinds of uses, and a great value. Oh, yeah, it will also last two lifetimes with minimal care.

Put another way:
If the GP were sunglasses, it would be RayBan Wayfarers.
If it were a motorcycle, it would be a Kawasaki KLR 650.
If it were an airplane, it would be a Cessna 206.
A truck? Probably a Ford F-250 4x4.

It is not elegant or refined, but it will do nearly anything you need it to.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
fallujah":h3zhzj40 said:

Given the choice (as I, too, had), I bought two GP100s.
I could have bought any brand, but I wanted the best choice for MY money.
Both are now at least 15 yrs old.

(A noted gunwriter, after Ransom-resting over a dozen GPs, pointed out that ALL delivered at least one factory load into under 1/2 inch at 25yds; think about that.)