My first "hand cannon."

Help Support Ruger Forum:

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Rugerlvr":xf8lf9ie said:
contender":xf8lf9ie said:
Well, those beasts are expensive to feed, so ya better reload.

After reading some reports about the amount of lead that reloading can put into your home environment, and the damage that it can do to young children, I've decided I'm not going to get into reloading until my 4 and 2 year olds are much much older.

So, yeah, I bought 3 boxes of ammo for an average of $32ea last weekend.

Commercially cast lead bullets are quite reasonable. That's what I use. That way you don't need to invest in a lot of casting equipment. Get the ones with gas checks if you're going to reload hot. :wink:
Earl.

SFRanger7GP

Bearcat
I am the Corporate Safety Manager of a huge construction industry company. I've learned more about lead/asbestos/mercury (you name the poison and or boogey man) than I ever cared to know. Most people get more lead exposure in daily activiteis than they will ever get reloading. I've been reloading for over over 30 years and have always tested well below the OSHA/EPA accepted levels. However, that is not to say that some people cannot be much more affected than others given the same exposure levels.

Rclark

Hunter
I just went through all the posts of high roads ... and the underlying message is "don't chew on the lead... ie. don't ingest it", "clean up after you are done", and use a well ventilated area if you cast. Common sense things really. The dust problem from tumblers however does sound like a legit concern.... I think, I'll 'turn over'/'wash' my media a bit more often.... FWIW, I used to tumble every time, but I've learned it isn't necessary to do so, unless the cases are 'really really dirty'. Powder stains aren't a big deal (just not 'pretty') .

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Rugerlvr":1v1do5rm said:
captainkirk":1v1do5rm said:
Edited to add (after seeing your post) Tumbling cases is not necessary. It is nice - a luxury if you will, but not needed, especially for revolver loads. I still don't own a tumbler...

How do you clean the cases then?

I usually soak them in batches of 100 or so in isopropyl alcohol and then wipe them down after. Not nearly as bright&shiny as a tumbler, but removes any grit on the outside that might scratch the dies.

captainkirk

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Rugerlvr":3nvxrsx3 said:
Apparently it's mainly the tumbler that will put lead into the air. If I had a shed I could reload in, I might get into it, but I don't, and I don't wanna buy a shed just to reload. ;) There's a good thread about the lead dangers from reloading (specifically as it relates to young children) over at thehighroad.

Thanks for the compliments on the gun folks!
The dangers of lead poisoning while reloading scare me about as much as "the huge threat of global warming". Both very amusing. I can see where one might be concerned with bullet casting, but that is best done on the porch anyways. We live in a society where everyone is an expert on everything and if one believes everything that we are "warned" about, we will have a hard time doing anything safely. Common sense prevails in my case and I plan on living as long as my grandfather and his father etc all who handled guns and powders and lead on a regular basis well into their 80's with my grandfather still going strong.

Rugerlvr

Bearcat
I didn't mean for this thread to devolve into a debate about the dangers of lead. What I know is that lead is far more dangerous to kids the ages of my kids than adults. Once again, it's my considered decision that it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my daughters. Don't hate me for it.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Rugerlvr":1ynai3b6 said:
I didn't mean for this thread to devolve into a debate about the dangers of lead. What I know is that lead is far more dangerous to kids the ages of my kids than adults. Once again, it's my considered decision that it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my daughters. Don't hate me for it.
No hate intended, you gotta go with your instict and your daughters are too precious not to error on the side of extreme caution, so please don't misread my post as a stab at you, but rather at the state of "things" in our society today.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Rugerlvr":32cqho4u said:
WESHOOT2, are you saying I should change the above Hogue stocks? I really like the feel of it.

I was thinking about a hi-viz or other front blade...

I meant I change my stocks (tested Hogues on my GPs and Redhawks but found they didn't fit me, so all my Rugers wear Pachmayr Decelerators).
Stocks are personal, because my hand is different from yours.

As for the front sight blades, I'm testing a Marble fiber-optic front on one GP100, but believe I much prefer the rugged durability, high visiblity in low-light conditions, and readily indexed pointing that the Millett blade provides.
It is very bright.
I've used them on numerous Redhawks and GP100s for over a dozen years.
Sights are personal, because my eyes are different from yours.

The Millett blades are (inexpensively) available from www.brownells.com

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
You might want to check out MONTANA GOLD.com they are based here in kalispel montana in they are a little more expensive than lead but not that much. then you can load hot as you want. if you feel the need to tumble just do it outside. it will not only save you abundle on ammo but will allow you to practice more , this in return will allow you to not need all the sight change stuff as you will become more proficeint and comfortabe with the original sights, allthough my eyeballs are at the point where i either wear my glasses and see my target clear or shoot without them and see the sights clear. hmm maybe i should quit giving sage advice and look up those sights myself. :oops:

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
oldyeller":zhawjiz3 said:
You might want to check out MONTANA GOLD.com they are based here in kalispel montana in they are a little more expensive than lead but not that much. then you can load hot as you want. if you feel the need to tumble just do it outside. it will not only save you abundle on ammo but will allow you to practice more , this in return will allow you to not need all the sight change stuff as you will become more proficeint and comfortabe with the original sights, allthough my eyeballs are at the point where i either wear my glasses and see my target clear or shoot without them and see the sights clear. hmm maybe i should quit giving sage advice and look up those sights myself. :oops:

weshoot2,
Is that website correct? I dialed it up, and found all kinds of things, but nothing about bullets.
EarlFH

lanber

Bearcat
I've got a couple of .44 mag beasts. I don't reload so I don't shoot them much, but they are good to have around with a box or two of ammo, in case I need them for something special. Reminds me of my conversion van...an old gas guzzler but it is sound mechanically, and good to have around in case I need it to haul something.

Although it's prudent to be concerned about lead (and other toxic materials), don't let it stop you from reloading. I have reloaded for 30 years, cast bullets for most of that time, and shot on an indoor range with others who cast even more than I did. We all had lead blood levels tested after years of "exposure" and not one of us was even close to the limit. Use adequate ventilation, wash your hands, don't smoke and reload all you want.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Those grips are made of goncala alves, also known as tiger wood. Makes into very handsome grips when new, and ages beautifully.

This model is made from goncala alves:

As is this one:

Bob Wright