RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:52 am 
Buckeye

ive owned a ton of rugers and have never had one shoot that badly. I almost cant believe that a bullet could go 12 inchs out of line with a bore at 7 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:47 am 
Blackhawk

Just my experience with the Blackhawk and Vaquero and New Vaquero type handguns. Hold the revolver with your little finger under the grip frame. This moves your hand back slightly and allows the trigger finger to press the trigger with the middle of pad of the first joint of your trigger finger. You get a better straight back pull with the trigger finger this way.

By gripping the gun with four fingers on the grip, the hand is moved more forward, and this causes the trigger finger the contact the distal or first joint of the finger on the trigger. This curls the trigger finger more, and doesn't give a straight trigger pull. This inturn causes a person to pull the trigger to one side or the other, at least for me and my size of hands.

Also, just grip the handgun with your right hand, not a death grip, when you wrap your left hand around your right, the left hand should be the one you grip tightly around your right hand. This gives the right hand better trigger control.

Proper grip, trigger control, front sight, and concentration.

No saying you are a bad shot or critisizing, just a few pointers that help me shoot the single action better.

Sometimes with handguns, rifles and bows, I have to stop when shooting bad and rethink the A, B, C's.

Post subject: Re: VAQUERO WOES
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:22 am 
Hawkeye

EDK wrote:
VAQUERO sights aren't the best in the world...

LOL !!! I've seen better ... or at least equally good sights on $5 cap guns at Walmart (I'm serious ... check it out) ... I truly can't see why people buy these things, unless you're doing the SASS thing. Blackhawks are so much more gun, and you can hit what you're aiming at without aiming somewhere else. :D

REV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:55 am 
Single-Sixer

I shoot Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) and had a pair of old Vaquero Special Editions (.45 LC & ACP cylinders). They served me well for many years. One of the two was a very accurate pistol. I once fired both out to 50 yds and this is what one did:

I ended up keeping this one and selling the other. I now shoot a pair of new Vaqueros. However, they are not as accurate as this old model.

I neve shot the ACP cylinder to check its accuracy. I think I should try this and get the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 am 
Hunter

Quote:
LOL !!! I've seen better ... or at least equally good sights
Well, maybe I am the odd man out :) . I kind of like the thin blade dropping into the back notch and actually see the bullseye on either side of the blade. Seems I can draw a better 'bead' than the 'block' 1/8" sights of my other Rugers.

FWIW, my Vaquero is shooting very close to point of aim.... with 8.5g of Unique pushing 250g RNFP. This is after reaming and changing the forcing cone to 11 degrees.... Groups aren't one hole at 25 yards, but good enough to stay all in the black (7 ring). I believe this is my doing ... not the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:10 am 
Bearcat

Every gun is different, and you can't really generalize about a species. The most accurate revolver I have ever owned is a 1995 .45 Colt Vaquero WHEN I can clearly see the sights AND with specific loads. That has nothing to do with the front blade which allows lots of light on either side (good). Rather, the curved top of the frame (back sight) reflects light in some conditions. In the right light, I like the sight picture of a Vaquero.

The picture below is no fluke for a 25 yd group with a basic 255 gr SWC and 2400 (before filing sight for elevation). But, I can't get that kind of accuracy with Unique; not even close. The 7.5" barrel helps, and I'm sure CAS's throat work helped as well.

The worse grouping revolver I ever owned was an OMSBH, no matter what I tried or did, and I worked hard on it. Go figure. Twelve inch groups up close sounds like shooter issue. I'd have a good shot run the revolver though the paces. If it comes out fine, practice, practice. No one shoots handguns well without a long period of effort IMHO, which is part of the appeal. Why do anything easy? Where's the challenge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:56 pm 
Hunter

Quote:
The picture below is no fluke for a 25 yd group with a basic 255 gr SWC and 2400
How many grains of 2400?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 am 
Bearcat

As many have mentioned, traditional SAA sights are difficult to shoot, particularly for those of use with aging eyes. Moreover, I think, they are also difficult to obtain consistent results. I love shooting my NV in .45 Colt but it is frustrating and I am sure it is me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:39 pm 
Bearcat

I'd rather not post load data here. Although well within the "Ruger only" range for large framed Vaqueros, someone may duplicate it for something less sturdily built.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:54 am 
Buckeye

I often take two or three guns out shooting esp. when I get a new gun. It lets me know if I am to blame or the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 pm 
Single-Sixer

jerry b wrote:
I'd rather not post load data here. Although well within the "Ruger only" range for large framed Vaqueros, someone may duplicate it for something less sturdily built.

I know what I posted is from reloading manuals. I don't think I saw any loads that didn't look like they came from reload manuals.

If someone is stupid enough to go from rugers to loading these rounds in a SAA Colt or clone, that would be a shame. I could get sarcastic about gene pools, but this is a serious subject you have brought up for sure!

SO FOR THE EXTREMELY INTECTUALLY CHALLENGED:
THESE LOADS ARE FOR RUGER HANDGUNS ONLY AND
CAN BE FOUND IN THAT SECTION IN ANY RELOAD MANUAL!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:42 pm 
Blackhawk

Clate, have you shot it from sandbags to help eliminate wobbles & tremors? I'd shoot it off sandbags to see what the gun will really do it's what I'd try first. Hope this helps some. Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:32 pm 
Bearcat

in reply to frank, no i havent shot it off of sand bags but i have shot it of of a bench so resting my hands on the bench and firing. it will be a couple of weeks till i get to the range, hopefully ill have some decent weather and time. and i'll definitely post the results here. i really need to learn how to post pics.

thanks again all for the replys.
ps what does the word bearcat under my login name mean??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 pm 
Single-Sixer

clate wrote:
ps what does the word bearcat under my login name mean??

It's somewhat common on Internet forums to provide themed "classifications" based on your number of posts. In this instance, the more you post, the larger gun that gets attributed to you.

-Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 pm 
Single-Sixer

I shoot my Ruger New Vaquero better than any other handgun I have owned. It just seems to shoot where I point, Grouse neck/head, soda can or paper target. It's why it's my favorite gun.

7 yard Targets off handed

25 yard Target off handed

Most any .452 255grain cast bullet pushed to around 925 fps with Red Dot or SR4756 or W231 or AA#5 will print point of aim.