vaquero accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jerry b

Bearcat
Every gun is different, and you can't really generalize about a species. The most accurate revolver I have ever owned is a 1995 .45 Colt Vaquero WHEN I can clearly see the sights AND with specific loads. That has nothing to do with the front blade which allows lots of light on either side (good). Rather, the curved top of the frame (back sight) reflects light in some conditions. In the right light, I like the sight picture of a Vaquero.

The picture below is no fluke for a 25 yd group with a basic 255 gr SWC and 2400 (before filing sight for elevation). But, I can't get that kind of accuracy with Unique; not even close. The 7.5" barrel helps, and I'm sure CAS's throat work helped as well.

The worse grouping revolver I ever owned was an OMSBH, no matter what I tried or did, and I worked hard on it. Go figure. Twelve inch groups up close sounds like shooter issue. I'd have a good shot run the revolver though the paces. If it comes out fine, practice, practice. No one shoots handguns well without a long period of effort IMHO, which is part of the appeal. Why do anything easy? Where's the challenge?

img_0118b3.JPG

Flashman

Bearcat
As many have mentioned, traditional SAA sights are difficult to shoot, particularly for those of use with aging eyes. Moreover, I think, they are also difficult to obtain consistent results. I love shooting my NV in .45 Colt but it is frustrating and I am sure it is me.

jerry b

Bearcat
I'd rather not post load data here. Although well within the "Ruger only" range for large framed Vaqueros, someone may duplicate it for something less sturdily built.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I often take two or three guns out shooting esp. when I get a new gun. It lets me know if I am to blame or the gun.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
jerry b":1nzvgbsq said:
I'd rather not post load data here. Although well within the "Ruger only" range for large framed Vaqueros, someone may duplicate it for something less sturdily built.

I know what I posted is from reloading manuals. I don't think I saw any loads that didn't look like they came from reload manuals.

If someone is stupid enough to go from rugers to loading these rounds in a SAA Colt or clone, that would be a shame. I could get sarcastic about gene pools, but this is a serious subject you have brought up for sure!

SO FOR THE EXTREMELY INTECTUALLY CHALLENGED:
THESE LOADS ARE FOR RUGER HANDGUNS ONLY AND
CAN BE FOUND IN THAT SECTION IN ANY RELOAD MANUAL!!!

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Clate, have you shot it from sandbags to help eliminate wobbles & tremors? I'd shoot it off sandbags to see what the gun will really do it's what I'd try first. Hope this helps some. Frank

clate

Bearcat
in reply to frank, no i havent shot it off of sand bags but i have shot it of of a bench so resting my hands on the bench and firing. it will be a couple of weeks till i get to the range, hopefully ill have some decent weather and time. and i'll definitely post the results here. i really need to learn how to post pics.

thanks again all for the replys.
ps what does the word bearcat under my login name mean??

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
clate":1leszfai said:
ps what does the word bearcat under my login name mean??

It's somewhat common on Internet forums to provide themed "classifications" based on your number of posts. In this instance, the more you post, the larger gun that gets attributed to you.

-Stephen

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
I shoot my Ruger New Vaquero better than any other handgun I have owned. It just seems to shoot where I point, Grouse neck/head, soda can or paper target. It's why it's my favorite gun.

7 yard Targets off handed
nvwtargets.jpg

25 yard Target off handed
25yd255andrbgroups.jpg

Most any .452 255grain cast bullet pushed to around 925 fps with Red Dot or SR4756 or W231 or AA#5 will print point of aim.

leejack

Single-Sixer
After reading this thread, i must ask:

How do you guys find the accuracy of the .357 Vaqueros? Any problems with these?

clate

Bearcat
Well, some results are in. Gentlemen you were right. large caliber handgun shooting is very different from anything ive done before. most of the problem was myself(thats an ego buster). i was able to get to the range yesterday.

three separate bullets. first the 230gn round nose i had two separate groups out of the six consecutive shots, two groups of three, first group 1.2 inches second 1.7 inches, total between all six was a group of 3.10

im very excited, i shot off of a sand bag of course, about 25 yards, and i had a very experienced handgunner friend with me,

second was 200 gn semi wad cutter, this made two groups discounting the flyer, each group was touching holes but the two groups were 9" apart.

3rd bullet 230gn flat nose, these didnt do so well kept all on a 9"paper plate but nothing patterned at all huge spread.

dont remember powder used, but now i know its not the gun and am ready to really try more rounds to find its favorite food.

all bullets were lead no jackets
almost forgot i measured my throats and all six were .4525 hope that is ok?
thanks all for the help and sage advice

Rclark

Hunter
A friend and I went out to the gun club today to test his .45 New Vaquero. I had reamed the cylinder for him and did the 11 degree forcing cone on the .45 because he said it didn't shoot worth a hoot.

Setup a target at around 20 yards. No shots hit the box (you know, one of those boxes you get two 1 gallon milk jugs in) ... let alone the target taped to it. Moved it in to 7 yards. Still missed them all ????? :shock: ... Okay what is going on here. Did I 'really' screw up his gun???? :eek: He asked me to shoot it. I shot a nice group (excluding a flyer) next to the bullseye.... Shoots just a bit to the left.... acceptable... soooo, it wasn't the gun, but the shooter! Whew! That's a load off of my mine!!

Turns out, he is flinching (gun dipped a lot when click on empty) and the trigger pull is pretty stout. Had him shoot mine and he did better. Mine have a lighter trigger pull. Bottom line, he now knows it isn't the gun, but the shooter. He's happy. More practice is in order :) .

Almost forgot I measured my throats and all six were .4525. Hope that is ok?
Yep! Perfect...

I am very excited...
That's great to hear that your gun isn't the problem. You can now settle down and learn how to shoot it knowing it isn't the gun causing the fliers! Wahoo!